Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lindenwood at ESU

1-2 after 3 games.

Honestly thought we'd be sitting at 2-1, with 3-0 being a possibility.

Very tough test this week with the long trip, and plenty of film for Higgins and co. to study of how UCO gashed us with deep plays.

I imagine there will be a tons of adjustments from the LU side of things, but ESU firepower is a bit more potent.

Hopefully we can build on the success the offense had. Cade Brister has gotten better with each game he's played (It's hard to blame him for the picks vs. UCO when he was trying to force us back into the game).
    Cool Story Bro

Re: Lindenwood at ESU

I was unimpressed with the ESU offense. Their D seemed pretty decent, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
      I was unimpressed with the ESU offense. Their D seemed pretty decent, though.
      I still think they're a potentially dangerous team with Marstall and the helm.
      Cool Story Bro

Comment

Especially if the ball bounces right....

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
          I still think they're a potentially dangerous team with Marstall and the helm.
          Their O-Line and WR' quality aren't as good as in their PO years. At least that's what it seemed like to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
            Their O-Line and WR' quality aren't as good as in their PO years. At least that's what it seemed like to me.
            LU D-line could potentially take advantage but our DB's struggled big time vs. deep ball against UCO. If they had just defended a couple of those long plays, we likely win that game.
            Cool Story Bro

Comment

Looking at our stats through 3 games, the main thing that stands out to me is we have to get better in the special teams field position game.

We are next to last in kickoff coverage (this doesn't surprise me from what I've seen)

We are also dead last in punts.

With so little separation among the middle tier teams in this conference, it often comes down to details like this that win or lose a game.
              Cool Story Bro

Comment

Where all ya'll bugs at?
                Cool Story Bro

Comment

Lindenwood pregame notes are up...

https://lindenwoodlions.com/document...9//Program.pdf
                  Cool Story Bro

Comment

This should be the toughest test for the Lions yet.

Not real sure who LU is right now. Defensively we seem prone to the big play. I don't get a sense that teams have chipped away at us, rather it seems more common that we either drop teams for a loss, hold them to 3 yards or less, or they hit for a big play of 20 yards or more. To me this speaks more about assignment sound football vs. talent level. I believe the talent is there. I think we simply need to play smarter. The deeper the Jed Stugart culture is in-bedded into the program, the clearer the expectations will be that assignment sound team defense trumps hero ball. I feel like we still have some of that going on.

Offensively, I think it's clear that this is now the Cade Brister show. While he did throw 2 picks last weekend, they seemed to be out of desperation in keeping our offense up to speed with what the UCO offense was doing. He also threw for 3 TDs, 300 yards, and ran for over 100 yds and a TD. Cade could possibly be the best QB in the conference by the time he's a senior if he continues to work and develop. We desperately need someone other than Henneman to step up and start making plays. So far Nash and Sanders have been largely bottled up. I sincerely thought our running game would actually take a step forward with changes on the OL and our talented backs stepping in to replace Campbell and Wharton. It doesn't seem that way.

Unfortunately LU will be facing one of the better defenses in the league on Saturday. Cade will make his share of plays... but he alone won't carry the Lions to victory. Who's going to step up?

Defensively we'll have to play A LOT smarter than last week. Despite the slow offensive start ESU has had... Marstall is still there, as is the culture and mindset of an offense that can drop 40 on you in a blink of an eye. All it would take is 1 blow coverage to allow ESU to find their offensive mojo and start rolling again.

The thing that I've been impressed with so far this year is that I haven't seen the same thing be an issue 2 games in a row. (aside from the lack of running game from our RBs). New issues have crept in, but it seems like they've been corrected by the next game. I think LU cleans up a lot of the crap on the defensive side of the ball keeps ESU somewhat in check. Cade will work a couple of ridiculous drives and find enough points to eek out a victory.

LU-24
                    ESU-23
                    Cool Story Bro

Comment

Originally posted by bigsig50 View Post
                      Where all ya'll bugs at?

Comment

Is it really though? :)

Just thought ESU had a bigger presence on the MB!
                        Cool Story Bro

Comment

I think most of our posters have a wait and see attitude before they post now. I think there is a decent number in the pick 'em contest.

About the game. For the second week in a row this is a big game for both programs for different reasons. Lindenwood is looking take the next step and show that they can beat an established program other than Pitt State while ESU is trying to reestablish themselves after a down year last year.

I keep looking for the passing game to explode but then I look at the rushing stats and see that Landon Nault is still leading the league in rushing. You have to go with what is working. Even though it was more Alex Smith than Patrick Mahomes, I thought Braxton Marstall played really well on Saturday. The major problem has been catching the football. The interception at UNK came after a ball bounced out of the receivers hands and up in the air. Once the receivers other than Justin Brown and Tyler Harris start making some plays the offense could explode.

I think ESU is playing really well defensively. They have held each team they have played this year below their season average in rushing.

The only part of special teams that isn't playing well is the most visible and that is FG/PAT. But they've been good on coverage and returns so far. Not outstanding, but good and Tyler Harris has really surprised me at how well he has punted.

Should be a good game as most of them between ESU and LWU have been. Even though ESU leads the series 6-0, only two of the six games have been decided by two touchdowns or more.

Comment

While I think the Pitt State-UNK game is the biggest game in the conference this week, I do think this is the toughest to predict.

ESU has some Jekyll and Hyde in them this year. They looked great at times against Pitt State and UNK and then totally mediocre for big chunks against both teams. However, even though the scoreboard for 3 quarters would say ESU and Pitt State were relatively evenly matched, other than during that first drive, I never really felt like ESU was better than Pitt State. I'm not sure what it is, but it just seems like ESU is missing something on offense. Maybe it is playmaking from the whole WR corps.

Lindenwood is hard for me to evaluate because the Pitt State game last year was such an aberration for them. They seem better at everything this year, but they seemed incredible in that game last year and I'm left wondering how they aren't world beaters, but then you look at their box scores and nothing is impressing you that much.

I think ESU puts it all together this game and wins without that much drama, but wouldn't be surprised by any result.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
                              While I think the Pitt State-UNK game is the biggest game in the conference this week, I do think this is the toughest to predict.

ESU has some Jekyll and Hyde in them this year. They looked great at times against Pitt State and UNK and then totally mediocre for big chunks against both teams. However, even though the scoreboard for 3 quarters would say ESU and Pitt State were relatively evenly matched, other than during that first drive, I never really felt like ESU was better than Pitt State. I'm not sure what it is, but it just seems like ESU is missing something on offense. Maybe it is playmaking from the whole WR corps.

Lindenwood is hard for me to evaluate because the Pitt State game last year was such an aberration for them. They seem better at everything this year, but they seemed incredible in that game last year and I'm left wondering how they aren't world beaters, but then you look at their box scores and nothing is impressing you that much.

I think ESU puts it all together this game and wins without that much drama, but wouldn't be surprised by any result.
                              Agree with the Jekyll and Hyde reference. I just feel that at some point it's all going to click and everything will be alright. Marstall, Nault, Brown and LT Estevan Arana all started on offense in the 2016 playoff game against UMD where ESU scored 59 points. That's to good of an offense to be ranked eighth in scoring and total offense and dead last in passing in the MIAA.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X