Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ESU vs NWMSU GAME THREAD. It's going to be a wet one!

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ESU vs NWMSU GAME THREAD. It's going to be a wet one!

Originally posted by GoCatsGo5 View Post
    Thank God the ESU receivers couldn't catch yesterday, or it would have been a much closer game at halftime!

Comment

There were 2 potential ESU TD passes and one more for sure TD in the end zone that were flat out dropped, but the front end definitely got more pressure and the DBs did take a more a physical and harassing approach...the referees were also much more hesitant to throw their yellow laundry onto the field

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
        I dont think that's an argument. It's a fact.
        +1

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
          It was an honest question, not trying to be arrogant. You could take a lot of roads in the NW-UCO game. NW didn't play well, UCO played well, NW didn't match up well with UCO, etc. I've seen ESU once this year and it was against NW. ESU got beat 41-0. Is a 41-0 defeat a match up problem, style problem or competition level problem? Or some combination?

One could make an argument that UCO has played NW tougher than ESU past few years.
          Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
          I dont think that's an argument. It's a fact.
          UCO has played NWMSU closer since 2015 but I would take the Hornets overall records in that time.

2015 ESU went 11-3, lost to NWMSU 44-10 in the regular season and 38-17 in the national quarterfinals
          UCO was 7-5 and lost to NWMSU 23-16
          Hornets beat the Bronchos 38-28
          2016 ESU went 11-2, lost to NWMSU 41-14 in regular season and 44-13 in second round of playoffs
          UCO was 3-8 and lost to NWMSU 56-10
          Hornets beat the Bronchos 35-21
          2017 ESU went 6-5, lost to NWMSU 34-0
          UCO was 8-4 and lost to NWMSU 17-10
          Bronchos beat the Hornets 53-52
          2018 ESU is 2-3, lost to NWMSU 41-0
          UCO is 2-3 and beat NWMSU 31-21

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
            UCO has played NWMSU closer since 2015 but I would take the Hornets overall records in that time.

2015 ESU went 11-3, lost to NWMSU 44-10 in the regular season and 38-17 in the national quarterfinals
            UCO was 7-5 and lost to NWMSU 23-16
            Hornets beat the Bronchos 38-28
            2016 ESU went 11-2, lost to NWMSU 41-14 in regular season and 44-13 in second round of playoffs
            UCO was 3-8 and lost to NWMSU 56-10
            Hornets beat the Bronchos 35-21
            2017 ESU went 6-5, lost to NWMSU 34-0
            UCO was 8-4 and lost to NWMSU 17-10
            Bronchos beat the Hornets 53-52
            2018 ESU is 2-3, lost to NWMSU 41-0
            UCO is 2-3 and beat NWMSU 31-21
            ESU just flat puckers when they play NW. Haven't played them close in who knows when. NW dominates them every season. Just one of those things.

Comment

Thoughts on the game

I did not expect that at all. Not that ESU lost, but how they lost. I actually thought the weather delay might work out in our favor since we've been in a few of these over the last three years. Didn't happen.

I thought Braxton Marstall played one of his better games even though he was only 16 of 34 for 142 yards. But there were two drops in the endzone and another one when the receiver behind the defender with nothing between him and the endzone.

It seems like whenever ESU and NWMSU play the Bearcats get some strange kind of scoring play that ends up completely changing the complexion of the game. Last year it was the blocked field goal returned for a TD to make it 10-0 to start the second quarter instead of tied at 3-3. Saturday with the Bearcats leading 7-0 at the start of the second quarter it looked like the Hornets were going to get a big goal line stand when NWMSU fumbles the snap on fourth and goal from the one but the ball gets kicked over to the side and Caldwell is able to pick it up and get into the endzone. Granted it only took NW three plays from scrimmage to score 14 more points after that to go up 27-0 but you could just feel the "here we go again" vibe.

I'm hoping ESU can respond like Pitt State did last year. After five games they were 2-3, had gotten embarrassed at home by Lindenwood 45-11 and lost to Washburn 35-20 at home. They then played FHSU close and eventually ended the year with six straight wins.

Speaking of FHSU - Did you know that ESU has scored a touchdown more recently than the Tigers have? ESU's last TD was with 44 seconds left against LWU last week while FHSU has gone five quarters without a touchdown. (I know I'm stretching.)

Eight teams in the MIAA are either 3-2 or 2-3. If nothing else, the MIAA is interesting this year.

Comment

Originally posted by PSR View Post
                ESU just flat puckers when they play NW. Haven't played them close in who knows when. NW dominates them every season. Just one of those things.
                Got to go back to 2010 when they were tied at 28 going to the fourth quarter. NW got a pair of pick sixes in the fourth quarter for the 42-28 win.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
                  Got to go back to 2010 when they were tied at 28 going to the fourth quarter. NW got a pair of pick sixes in the fourth quarter for the 42-28 win.

Comment

Originally posted by GoCatsGo5 View Post
                    There were 2 potential ESU TD passes and one more for sure TD in the end zone that were flat out dropped, but the front end definitely got more pressure and the DBs did take a more a physical and harassing approach...the referees were also much more hesitant to throw their yellow laundry onto the field
                    I guess at this point, that's just who we're going to be on the back end. What's the quote... "rather be lucky than good"? I think I'd rather be good, but a little luck definitely helps. Good to hear we were better up front and glad the offense showed up. Huge game Saturday!

Comment

Originally posted by NWFanatic View Post
                      I really enjoyed listening to Mel and Brandon on the radio during the lightning delay. What a trip down memory lane!
                      i was going back through and listening to some games while working in the studio, since i bought the season pass. just fyi if you missed this or wanted to hear it again, the whole weather delay conversation is still on the replay of the game.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X