Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Week 7 - Composite Rankings and MIAA in regional hotseat?

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Week 7 - Composite Rankings and MIAA in regional hotseat?

Originally posted by S&TMinerfan View Post
    I guess it must be because I am completely unbiased(and not necessarily by choice). I have just started following D2 football last year and this year is my first to follow region 3. I just take each team at face value of their current ability. What teams have done in the past is of no consequence to me because I honestly don't know them well enough to pass judgment or have pre conceived ideas on who I expect to be good, as most of you guys do. As an S&T Miner fan and parent of a player I do believe they have a good team this year. Everyone at the games goes on and on about how much better they are than they have been in a long time and I can't really speak for this. I spent last year at most games in the GSC so that is really my only comparative basis for how S&T would match up to other D2 teams in other conferences. I do know this years S&T team would match up well against those teams(not saying they would win the conference but they would be right in the thick of it). Again I don't think S&T will get the benefit of the doubt from anyone in the MIAA because they have seen S&T in the past and from what I can tell they used to be pretty weak. Oh well, I guess this is what makes message boards fun!
    The opposite could also be true that since you just started following D2 then you don't know what a good D2 football team looks like and are confusing that with watching a team win games in a weak conference.

Comment

Considering the fact that the Ferris St. situation has not been resolved, the regional rankings are very clear to me...
      1. Ferris St.
      2. Ouachita
      3. GVSU
      4. Indy
      5. (Tie) NW
      5. (Tie) Southern Arkansas
      7. Missouri S&T
      8. Harding
      9. SVSU
      10. FHSU
      Go Hounds!
      B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
      Cyclone Power
      ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by CatFan88 View Post
        Considering the fact that the Ferris St. situation has not been resolved, the regional rankings are very clear to me...
        1. Ferris St.
        2. Ouachita
        3. GVSU
        4. Indy
        5. (Tie) NW
        5. (Tie) Southern Arkansas
        7. Missouri S&T
        8. Harding
        9. SVSU
        10. FHSU
        Assuming that the Ferris St. situation resolves and with game forfeits, what would that do to the rankings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lleachieshusband View Post
          Assuming that the Ferris St. situation resolves and with game forfeits, what would that do to the rankings?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I don't know that Ferris forfeits games. From what I've read, they are trying to re-instate the kid and Ferris self-reported. Plus, it's secondary violation, whatever that means. Ferris gets off with hand slap and kid is ineligible for rest of year? Don't know how this works. At worst for Ferris, they forfeit 4 games? How that reconciles in the regional rankings, I don't know. To me everybody moves up 1 slot which probably puts Pitt St. at 10.
          Go Hounds!
          B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
          Cyclone Power
          ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

I don't know that Ferris forfeits games. From what I've read, they are trying to re-instate the kid and Ferris self-reported. Plus, it's secondary violation, whatever that means. Ferris gets off with hand slap and kid is ineligible for rest of year? Don't know how this works. At worst for Ferris, they forfeit 4 games? How that reconciles in the regional rankings, I don't know. To me everybody moves up 1 slot which probably puts Pitt St. at 10.
            http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D219.pdf
            Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

I'm with you that the wins will be vacated.
              Go Hounds!
              B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
              Cyclone Power
              ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

He only played in 3. That would make them 8 and 0

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                  Considered eligible or participated? From my understanding, he was considered eligible for 4?
                  Go Hounds!
                  B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S
                  Cyclone Power
                  ERAU Eagles Soar

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                    http://www.ferrisstatebulldogs.com/s...s/danperrytbxc

Comment

Originally posted by S&TMinerfan View Post
                      Well I have a problem with passing judgment on any team without having seen them in person. This is what makes selecting teams for playoffs so difficult. Besides S&T's one loss to Indy(we will address that in a minute), they have beaten everyone they play easily. The coach empties the bench every game it seems. They get up and have the game in hand and then everyone plays and the score looks closer. They have played two conference games so far, lets check back and see conference average margin of victory at the end of the season(last week they were up 41-0 in the first half to WJ, then the coach emptied the bench and the score ended up 59-21 I believe). As far as the Indy loss, it was a great game and I take nothing away from Indy, having said that here is what happened. The starting QB gets hurt right before halftime with the Miners up 14-3. After a 3 hr lightning delay they resume play and play the 2nd half without their starting QB. Indy scores with about 2 minutes left in the game to go up 24-17 and win the game. I'm not making excuses as Indy won the game fair and square, but I honestly believe if the QB does not get hurt then S&T wins this game. The biggest thing S&T is fighting right now is the lack of past tradition and playing in a weaker conference than others in the region, but that doesn't mean they are not a playoff contender if they happen to win out.
                      #1. Every team with a big lead does this.

#2. The lack of past success and the results from a weak conference are exactly why S&T is not a legitimate playoff participant this year. Quincy was within a touchdown last week. Lost to Drake. I did see the Indianpolis game and S&T played well but Indy is a marginal playoff team at best. This is not the resume of a playoff participant.

Comment

Thanks. I didn't know that. I was just going by what I read on the gliac board.

Comment

Originally posted by BearcatDude View Post
                          http://www.ncaapublications.com/prod...loads/D219.pdf

You have to have 8 games to be playoff eligible.
                          Spoiler hint for this upcoming weeks composite...i'll be addressing this 8 games scenario regarding another team

Comment

I'm with you that the wins will be vacated.
                            I was under the impression that nullification came into effect as opposed to forfeiting or vacating wins. This page explains how the nullification process works:

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/fi...t_20180827.pdf

It's also worth noting that the regional rankings releases ahead of the end of the season will not reflect any nullification penalties, as I understand it.
                            Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post
                              I was under the impression that nullification came into effect as opposed to forfeiting or vacating wins. This page explains how the nullification process works:

It's also worth noting that the regional rankings releases ahead of the end of the season will not reflect any nullification penalties, as I understand it.
                              Thank you for posting this.

So if I'm understanding the penalties correctly, FSU's WL % would decrease .092 (.023 per game times four games). So if they finish undefeated, their WL% would be .908 (basically 10-1). Other calculations would be affected as well. But, they are not automatically disqualified from the postseason. *

Also worth noting that opponents of FSU would not be adversely affected, so for purposes of the regional selection their opponents would get credit for playing an undefeated team.

*Edited to add: they are not automatically disqualified, but it's not clear to me if the wins would actually be "vacated" and not count toward the necessary 8 games.
                              Last edited by GrifFan; 10-22-2018, 06:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ctrabs74 View Post

Help out D2football.com - click on an ad

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X