• Show
Clear All

Re: MIAA postseason scenarios after week 8

28-7 instead of 35-0?

:smile-big:

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
      Didn't we figure out that one of the discrepancies between your numbers and the committee's was that you included future opponents and they didn't? That didn't explain all the differences, but was part of why they were closer at the end than the beginning.
      This is exactly correct. I think I convinced them to build in the entire schedule when they released pre-selection rankings.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
        28-7 instead of 35-0?

:smile-big:

Comment

You do realize it would have been the same refs regardless of venue, don't you?

Comment

I've stated it before and will say it again. If Missouri S&T finishes 9-1 vs D2 competition(with their only loss to ranked Indy) they still will not get in. They simply don't have the name recognition(not a traditional power). It is what it is!!!! Having said that, I am a realist and I can say unequivocally that if S&T plays like they played last week they will not only lose one or more of there next three games but they would not be deserving of any PO talk.

It used to be that the human element to the selection process was minimal, and it was based almost exclusively on win pct and SOS. We would see a lot of fluctuations because the SOS for each team changed every week. Then all the silo scheduling started, and the human element is very prevalent. Because of that, we may not see much change without teams losing.

The human element seems to be much more prevalent than ever in our region, because going by the criteria, Rolla is getting screwed:

http://web1.ncaa.org/champsel_new/ex.../staticpdfrank

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
              You do realize it would have been the same refs regardless of venue, don't you?

Comment

:laugh::laugh: I know. Totally. Dude, the Bisons's threw for negative yardage. Negative. Let me say that again. NEG-A-TIVE. 5 completions. 3 to the bad guys. 2 to the good guys. Oh, and the Bisons's would have to score at least 1 pt to even begin the convo.

Comment

This is my post a week ago, we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by S&TMinerfan View Post

Here is my problem with the way Div. 2 Football decides playoff entries. I believe the team that is not a traditional power but has just recently become a good team, worthy of being in the playoffs gets punished by either prior years average records or conference affiliation(it is almost like the team has to prove it for multiple years to finally get the benefit of the doubt-I don't think it is fair to that years team). Let me give you an example. Let's say a team finishes with a 9-2 record on the year. One of the losses is to a FCS opponent. The other loss is by a TD or less to a conference team(traditional power) who is ranked. Let's say besides the one loss,none of the conference or non conference games were close games. You would have a team that won every Division 2 game they played that year with the exception of one loss on a late touchdown in the 4th qtr. to a ranked opponent. To me this team deserves entry in to the playoffs, a no brainer right? I believe this exact scenario could very well play out this year and I would bet that this team does not get a playoff bid, based solely on either having a conference thought to be middle of the pack in strength or the fact that they have not been a traditional powerhouse in the past. Now there are lots of games yet to be played so we shall see how things turn out. This just seems like it could happen and would be an obvious unfair outcome. THOUGHTS ????

It used to be that the human element to the selection process was minimal, and it was based almost exclusively on win pct and SOS. We would see a lot of fluctuations because the SOS for each team changed every week. Then all the silo scheduling started, and the human element is very prevalent. Because of that, we may not see much change without teams losing.

The human element seems to be much more prevalent than ever in our region, because going by the criteria, Rolla is getting screwed:

http://web1.ncaa.org/champsel_new/ex.../staticpdfrank

Comment

Note to self. You probably shouldn't do bogus illegal formations. It's against the rules. Just sayin'.

Comment

Sorry. I didn't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
                        :laugh::laugh: I know. Totally. Dude, the Bisons's threw for negative yardage. Negative. Let me say that again. NEG-A-TIVE. 5 completions. 3 to the bad guys. 2 to the good guys. Oh, and the Bisons's would have to score at least 1 pt to even begin the convo.

Comment

Also, here was your reply. We shall see.

The committees are made up two people per conference, so while I suppose your conspiracy theory could happen, I dont think it does. Bottom line, in our region, if you finish with one D2 loss, you're going to be in this year.

Originally posted by S&TMinerfan View Post
                          This is my post a week ago, we shall see.

Quote Originally Posted by S&TMinerfan View Post

Here is my problem with the way Div. 2 Football decides playoff entries. I believe the team that is not a traditional power but has just recently become a good team, worthy of being in the playoffs gets punished by either prior years average records or conference affiliation(it is almost like the team has to prove it for multiple years to finally get the benefit of the doubt-I don't think it is fair to that years team). Let me give you an example. Let's say a team finishes with a 9-2 record on the year. One of the losses is to a FCS opponent. The other loss is by a TD or less to a conference team(traditional power) who is ranked. Let's say besides the one loss,none of the conference or non conference games were close games. You would have a team that won every Division 2 game they played that year with the exception of one loss on a late touchdown in the 4th qtr. to a ranked opponent. To me this team deserves entry in to the playoffs, a no brainer right? I believe this exact scenario could very well play out this year and I would bet that this team does not get a playoff bid, based solely on either having a conference thought to be middle of the pack in strength or the fact that they have not been a traditional powerhouse in the past. Now there are lots of games yet to be played so we shall see how things turn out. This just seems like it could happen and would be an obvious unfair outcome. THOUGHTS ????

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                            If Pitt and NW win out, is there still a chance Pitt misses the playoffs?
                            Only if FH beats NW and NW and FH both end up with 2 losses. Heck , if NW were to lose to FH and Central and Pitt wins out, Pitt would be in.

Atm it will be 2+2+2+1 with the GLVC getting the 1. But if teams start getting a 3rd loss the MIAA could be the 1 bid team not that I think that is correct depending on who the 3 loss MIAA team is.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X