Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: MIAA PO hopes

Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post
    I didn't realize there was this much late season non-con action. Maybe it would work to go to 11 teams. However, I'd still much prefer a 10 team conference. I'd really prefer a 10 team conference combined with one week of at-large non-con games and one week of the MIAA playing a slate of 10 other teams from a single conference within the super-region.
    Ten teams is perfect. When the MIAA was strongest, it was 10 teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Carlson View Post
      Ten teams is perfect. When the MIAA was strongest, it was 10 teams.
      THIS x 100!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Runnin' Cat View Post
        Is it a matter of the MIAA "dropping" in quality, or is it that they set the bar and other conferences or specific teams have crept closer?
        The MIAA is unquestionably worse. I'm not so sure the same couldn't be said about the entire division. I would say the overall level of play has definitely dropped in quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
          The MIAA is unquestionably worse. I'm not so sure the same couldn't be said about the entire division. I would say the overall level of play has definitely dropped in quality.
          This is going to keep happening. As much as we all love it, football is on the decline as a sport (which is to be expected after having a REALLY long run on the upswing). I don't think it's close to dying, but it's definitely no gaining any ground. One of the things that happened when it was gaining ground was expansion. Football is probably due for a degree of contraction. Until that happens, all of the existing lower tiers will see a noticeable decline in the product. The reality is that FCS today is basically the relative quality of football that D2 was years ago (everyone can determine for themselves how many years ago that was). D2 today is basically what the higher tier NAIA was years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Taxman View Post
            not calling anyone out specifically but, im relatively new to this d2 thing. kids a junior so ive only really been involved 4 years....however, ive been hearing this crap for all 4 years....the top of the miaa musta been playing hella good football to the point as if god himself was calling plays. by listening to some of you on here.

2 of those 4 seasons nw won it all. last year we got stepped on a little bit but smoked the shizz outta everyone in the bowl games. in fact, the last time the current number 7 team in the nation lost,
            it was an miaa team putting it in every orifice that was available.

why cant it just be the conference as a whole getting better? nk jumped up and bit some teams but they are a damn sight better than they were last year. we (uco)have beaten 2 top 5 teams in a 5 game stretch.

we (uco) are in the middle of the conference. we lost to pitt state and fart hayes (i dont know what this says about me but i giggle a little when i hear this lol)
            anyway, i truly think lindenwood would win a bowl against a 5 win team from another conference and id definatley take pitt emporia mw and ucm against any of the other middle of the pack teams in the other conferences.

change my mind

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post
              not calling anyone out specifically but, im relatively new to this d2 thing. kids a junior so ive only really been involved 4 years....however, ive been hearing this crap for all 4 years....the top of the miaa musta been playing hella good football to the point as if god himself was calling plays. by listening to some of you on here.

2 of those 4 seasons nw won it all. last year we got stepped on a little bit but smoked the shizz outta everyone in the bowl games. in fact, the last time the current number 7 team in the nation lost,
              it was an miaa team putting it in every orifice that was available.

why cant it just be the conference as a whole getting better? nk jumped up and bit some teams but they are a damn sight better than they were last year. we (uco)have beaten 2 top 5 teams in a 5 game stretch.

we (uco) are in the middle of the conference. we lost to pitt state and fart hayes (i dont know what this says about me but i giggle a little when i hear this lol)
              anyway, i truly think lindenwood would win a bowl against a 5 win team from another conference and id definatley take pitt emporia mw and ucm against any of the other middle of the pack teams in the other conferences.

change my mind
              Look at PO results last year. MIAA had nobody that was a legit threat to win anything. In 2014, Pitt was the only team with a shot. in 15 and 16, only NW was a legit threat in the PO's. In the up years, the conference had 2-4 teams who could have made a real PO run. This year, we will find out in the Playoffs, but most think there are no real contenders in the conference.

Comment

UCO has shown that steady improvement that it takes to win PO games this year, and are playing better than anyone in the MIAA right now. I think they are the best team in the league right now, but won't sniff the PO's unless some really wild things happen on Saturday.

Comment

Also nobody is saying it's a bad conference. Just that it isn't the pinnacle of D2 like it was for a little while.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                    Also nobody is saying it's a bad conference. Just that it isn't the pinnacle of D2 like it was for a little while.
                    well i know the end of the d2 road is the national championship but is going a couple of rounds deep and dominating all of the bowl games change most peoples mind?

Comment

With 11 conference teams, there couldn't be a non-conference slate in the first couple of weeks. It would have to be spread out over the year. Let's say Lindenwood wasn't in the conference right now and Lincoln wasn't inserted in their place. This week, week 11, would have a schedule that looked like this:

Pitt v MoSo
                      NW v UCM
                      WU v UNK
                      FHSU v NSU
                      ESU v UCO
                      MW v bye or non-con

Last week would've had UCM looking for a non-con or taking a bye in week 10. In order to concentrate non-cons at a single point in the schedule (such as the first couple of weeks), you have to have an even number of teams. It has nothing to do with travel being an issue or a non-issue.
                      I was completely whiffing on the fact that there would be an odd number of teams. My bad.

Comment

I didn't realize there was this much late season non-con action. Maybe it would work to go to 11 teams. However, I'd still much prefer a 10 team conference. I'd really prefer a 10 team conference combined with one week of at-large non-con games and one week of the MIAA playing a slate of 10 other teams from a single conference within the super-region.
                        Just split into divisions al la LSC in 90s through early 2000s.
                        I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post
                          well i know the end of the d2 road is the national championship but is going a couple of rounds deep and dominating all of the bowl games change most peoples mind?

Porterhouse vs. Prime Rib
                          Both are good. One is just a cut above the other.

Although this year I think the conference is more like some cheap sirloin.

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtedBearcat View Post
                            I was completely whiffing on the fact that there would be an odd number of teams. My bad.
                            Darn, you figured it out before I could post this:
                            http://www.mathgametime.com/math-games

Comment

• Comment

I forget the thread where I asked this before. It would have to be done the right way. We want to avoid the set up like they have in the SIAC. They only go with in-division record to get to the championship game. Which is why a team like Miles who is 4-6 overall could become the SIAC champion this weekend. Yuck!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X