• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JR Chaney
    replied
    Re: MIAA issues

Originally posted by Alfred33 View Post
    I agree, if you don't think NW is still trying to get the top kids that they can to fill out their program because they now only have to win a weaker SILO scheduling conference... I mean c'mon man, really? We still get kids from Florida for Pete's sake. Our recruiting hasn't changed because we have SILO scheduling. Having said that though, now that there is a ***** in the armor, and other teams have crept up within the conference and even more so nationally, it gives kids other options closer to home or for many other reasons. It's difficult to maintain that level of consistency and national relevance for as long as Northwest did/has. There's a lot of reasons that could attribute to the supposed fall from grace... number 1 being a coaching change. We went from an offensive minded coach to a defensive minded one... honestly and unfortunately, we don't know how things would've worked out with Scott Bostwick at the helm. But that in itself has to change the approach of the staff at the top and the views of some recruits, doesn't it? We've obviously become more conservative and predictable in our play calling... most of that falls on Charlie and Joel, but you can't completely excuse the head coach or the mentality he brings in the approach to the games, can you? I hate the SILO scheduling too, but I think we're putting too much into it... the MIAA has always had plenty of sh*tty teams to play during the season, and I don't think that one out of conference game changes the face of NW's recruiting efforts or their ability to be good. It does give teams and their fans an idea of where they are on a national level before the playoffs, which is somewhat of a benefit, but I'm with PP... it's lazy to blame our shortfalls on it.
    One thing to point out as well.. With AD you had a great offensive planner with a great defensive planner in Wright.

I truly believe if AD and Wright were still together NW would of been a favorite to win this year and they beat Ashland last year. Offensively AD just knew how to scheme around the team and against teams. I wasn't an AD fan when he was first hired and he proved me wrong. Look at what he's doing with ACU, he knows football.

Leave a comment:

• GrifFan
    replied

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
    Pitt was forever scheduling the Bayonne Bleeders of d2. A few good one in there, but mainly cream puffs.
    I think you meant Bacone Bleeders. :smile-big:

MW had some good non-cons. South Dakota, Winona State, Mankato, Chadron State, Duluth, St. Cloud, UCO and FHSU before they joined the conference. But they mixed in Langston and Benedictine and William Jewell too. The last non-con the Griffs had was a 63-3 win over S&T in 2013. Those kinds of games aren't much fun.

Leave a comment:

• Alfred33
    replied

That's a cop out. NW has only NW to blame for their problems. The same could be said for every other team.
    I agree, if you don't think NW is still trying to get the top kids that they can to fill out their program because they now only have to win a weaker SILO scheduling conference... I mean c'mon man, really? We still get kids from Florida for Pete's sake. Our recruiting hasn't changed because we have SILO scheduling. Having said that though, now that there is a ***** in the armor, and other teams have crept up within the conference and even more so nationally, it gives kids other options closer to home or for many other reasons. It's difficult to maintain that level of consistency and national relevance for as long as Northwest did/has. There's a lot of reasons that could attribute to the supposed fall from grace... number 1 being a coaching change. We went from an offensive minded coach to a defensive minded one... honestly and unfortunately, we don't know how things would've worked out with Scott Bostwick at the helm. But that in itself has to change the approach of the staff at the top and the views of some recruits, doesn't it? We've obviously become more conservative and predictable in our play calling... most of that falls on Charlie and Joel, but you can't completely excuse the head coach or the mentality he brings in the approach to the games, can you? I hate the SILO scheduling too, but I think we're putting too much into it... the MIAA has always had plenty of sh*tty teams to play during the season, and I don't think that one out of conference game changes the face of NW's recruiting efforts or their ability to be good. It does give teams and their fans an idea of where they are on a national level before the playoffs, which is somewhat of a benefit, but I'm with PP... it's lazy to blame our shortfalls on it.

Leave a comment:

• Randy
    replied

Originally posted by PSR View Post
    What was that Assembly of God team name? Couldn't believe we scheduled them. Truly embarrassing.
    Southwestern AOG U?

Leave a comment:

• PSR
    replied

Opsu Lincoln, Billy j, ecu. Just horrible teams.
    What was that Assembly of God team name? Couldn't believe we scheduled them. Truly embarrassing.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied

Speaking to the silo thing, I think it will take the top schools demanding it to make it happen.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied

Opsu Lincoln, Billy j, ecu. Just horrible teams.

Leave a comment:

• Predatory Primates
    replied

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
    This.

If silo scheduling is so bad how do you explain NW winning three national titles during the silo scheduling era? How did Minnesota State make it the national title game playing a silo schedule? How did Ouachita Baptist (playing a silo schedule) beat Indy (who played a tough non-conference the last two years) in this year's playoffs?

When Pitt State won the 2011 title their non-conference game was William Jewell who finished the year 4-6. Not exactly a powerhouse that helped prepare them for the rigors of the playoffs.
    Pitt was forever scheduling the Bayonne Bleeders of d2. A few good one in there, but mainly cream puffs.

Leave a comment:

• IowaBearcat
    replied

Talent on the line is way down. At least for NW, who had a great run of elite (D2) DE's. And since NW is the entire MIAA, my point is valid. :tongue:

And agree on coaching with only a few schools having the excuse of losing coaches to bigger jobs.

Leave a comment:

• IowaBearcat
    replied

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    Ian can handle it. He's a man. He's 40.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post
    'sorry IAN, was reading an article in the Oklahoman by Jenni Carlson just before this...
    Ian can handle it. He's a man. He's 40.

Leave a comment:

• Taxman
    replied

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
    So with Ouachita swamping UIndy, and NWMSU losing to Ferris, what can we determine is the current state of the MIAA? Is SILO not only hurting us with getting teams into the playoffs, but also leads to issues within the playoffs? At this point going 3-0 in the bowl games will do little to rehabilitate the MIAA's image.
    Overall talent is way down is the number 1 reason. Coaching not great either.

Leave a comment:

• jimbo slice
    replied

Originally posted by jimbo slice View Post

I think what jenni Carlson said in another thread is absolutely true.

'sorry IAN, was reading an article in the Oklahoman by Jenni Carlson just before this...

Leave a comment:

• cbgorilla
    replied

Originally posted by PSR View Post
    Who's Auburn?
    Some speed bump in the path to the NC

Leave a comment:

• PSR
    replied

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
    Pitt State's minor league running back supplier?
    :laugh:

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X