Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MIAA To Delay the Start of All Sports Practices, Competition

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • MIAA To Delay the Start of All Sports Practices, Competition

    Looks like changes to schedules are coming again

    http://themiaa.com/news/2020/7/19/ge...mpetition.aspx

  • #2
    I don't get the split season thing. Can't imagine a football/volleyball/soccer player wanting to take 3-5 months off, come back, get a few practices in and then play a few games. For most teams those will be meaningless i.e. Lincoln and Northeastern. Just move to the spring so you have a "normal" start and end to the season.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ain’t gonna happen...it’ll be spring ‘21 if at all

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Try II View Post
        I don't get the split season thing. Can't imagine a football/volleyball/soccer player wanting to take 3-5 months off, come back, get a few practices in and then play a few games. For most teams those will be meaningless i.e. Lincoln and Northeastern. Just move to the spring so you have a "normal" start and end to the season.
        I think it's a tacit admission by the conference that they can't figure out how to make a spring season schedule work, at least for those schools that don't have an indoor practice facility.

        One possibility that some may hate and others might see as making the best of tough situation is to announce a no-postseason season. Basically, the teams would be playing for a conference title and nothing beyond that.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

          I think it's a tacit admission by the conference that they can't figure out how to make a spring season schedule work, at least for those schools that don't have an indoor practice facility.

          One possibility that some may hate and others might see as making the best of tough situation is to announce a no-postseason season. Basically, the teams would be playing for a conference title and nothing beyond that.
          I can see athletes and entire teams redshirting this year ... why "waste" your eligibility on a short, non-championship season? Just hope 2021-22 is better.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Try II View Post
            I don't get the split season thing. Can't imagine a football/volleyball/soccer player wanting to take 3-5 months off, come back, get a few practices in and then play a few games. For most teams those will be meaningless i.e. Lincoln and Northeastern. Just move to the spring so you have a "normal" start and end to the season.
            My take is that the MIAA wants to be seen as the league that tried everything it could to make football happen in 2020. But despite the MIAA’s best efforts D2 football is very unlikely until late spring (end of March).

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GorillaBred View Post

              I think it's a tacit admission by the conference that they can't figure out how to make a spring season schedule work, at least for those schools that don't have an indoor practice facility.

              One possibility that some may hate and others might see as making the best of tough situation is to announce a no-postseason season. Basically, the teams would be playing for a conference title and nothing beyond that.
              No Post Season....that would be like giving your sister some tongue, from what I have heard, plenty have and now have a lip fungus that they have not identified yet....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post

                No Post Season....that would be like giving your sister some tongue, from what I have heard, plenty have and now have a lip fungus that they have not identified yet....

                See, that's what happened to you GB......growing up in the Twin Cities area - Maryville & Skidmore

                Just messing with you, GB (KB) ahahaha
                Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 07-20-2020, 07:27 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not at all surprised but still sucks. I hate 2020

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I think the MIAA has a great plan really...it gets kids back on campus, paying for school...not having numbers look bad in advance...gives the most amount of time to see if they can turn this around or not...if in Oct when is time to play the numbers are bad you cancel...in the meantime look how much more practice time you go in than anyone else...these are some smart folks...great thinking I hope the GLIAC is taking notes...serious..bravo well done!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      At least the MIAA is trying. It remains to be seen if schools will be able to open as planned. August will be telling....

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by champgymusa View Post
                        I think the MIAA has a great plan really...it gets kids back on campus, paying for school...not having numbers look bad in advance...gives the most amount of time to see if they can turn this around or not...if in Oct when is time to play the numbers are bad you cancel...in the meantime look how much more practice time you go in than anyone else...these are some smart folks...great thinking I hope the GLIAC is taking notes...serious..bravo well done!
                        I thought GV moved up and only played on Sundays and the occassional Monday or Thursday night.

                        In all seriousness, thanks for the kudos. Will be an interesting year. Lots of money at stake, colleges, nfl, tv rights, gambling. lots of moving pieces.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by NW Normal View Post
                          At least the MIAA is trying. It remains to be seen if schools will be able to open as planned. August will be telling....

                          The MIAA is playing kick the Covid can down the road. Nobody really believes that fall sports will happen, but for P.R. purposes, the MIAA is putting forward the message of hope. It's entirely possible that the virus will explode when the students return and the campus will be a ghost town before we even get to game one in October. If that happens, then the sports decision just made itself and it's a done deal......see you next year.

                          Has anyone heard what percentage of normal enrollment the universities are expecting for fall semester? .

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Donkeydamus View Post


                            The MIAA is playing kick the Covid can down the road. Nobody really believes that fall sports will happen, but for P.R. purposes, the MIAA is putting forward the message of hope. It's entirely possible that the virus will explode when the students return and the campus will be a ghost town before we even get to game one in October. If that happens, then the sports decision just made itself and it's a done deal......see you next year.

                            Has anyone heard what percentage of normal enrollment the universities are expecting for fall semester? .
                            At least the STD's will go down at Central because KMA won't be there...(couldn't resist that one)...hahahaha

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              More about the split season https://theathletic.com/1948253/2020...ason-miaa-mec/

                              Comment

                              Ad3

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X