Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sleepers and Dreamers

MSSU won't contend for the playoffs, but we might crawl out of the cellar. Welcome back to MIAA football Lincoln!

Comment

I don't think Central Missouri is a sleeper or dreamer...they are a/the legit contender for the title. They return most everything on offense, regardless if Bolles is cleared to play and most everything on defense. They might need to find a kicker but with as many TDs they'll probably put up, having a kicker might be moot.

Sleeper then I'd put Pitt St., they need to find a QB but they return most their rushing and receivers so a QB is going to have the talent around to help cover mistakes. Defense should be pretty salty especially up front where they return 30 sacks.

Dreamer - Emporia St. - they lose a lot on offense but I trust Higgins will find adequate replacements as he always has. Defense returns a pretty strong core, if they step up the ball hawking from the DBs they could surprise enough teams to stay in contention.
      Dreamer2 - Washburn - they'll build from the 5 win season last year, but I don't see enough talent to actually contend. Road games at NW MO, ESU, and Central Mo make it unlikely to keep pace if they lose 2 of those.

NW Mo & FHSU will be right there contending again but vulnerable this season.

sorry mosofan1; I don't think MO SO gets out of the basement. Lincoln got the generosity schedule gods to give them both MO SO and Northeastern at home. (UNK and MO West at home as well, which I think will also be weaker teams)

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
        I don't think Central Missouri is a sleeper or dreamer...they are a/the legit contender for the title. They return most everything on offense, regardless if Bolles is cleared to play and most everything on defense. They might need to find a kicker but with as many TDs they'll probably put up, having a kicker might be moot.

Sleeper then I'd put Pitt St., they need to find a QB but they return most their rushing and receivers so a QB is going to have the talent around to help cover mistakes. Defense should be pretty salty especially up front where they return 30 sacks.

Dreamer - Emporia St. - they lose a lot on offense but I trust Higgins will find adequate replacements as he always has. Defense returns a pretty strong core, if they step up the ball hawking from the DBs they could surprise enough teams to stay in contention.
        Dreamer2 - Washburn - they'll build from the 5 win season last year, but I don't see enough talent to actually contend. Road games at NW MO, ESU, and Central Mo make it unlikely to keep pace if they lose 2 of those.

NW Mo & FHSU will be right there contending again but vulnerable this season.

sorry mosofan1; I don't think MO SO gets out of the basement. Lincoln got the generosity schedule gods to give them both MO SO and Northeastern at home. (UNK and MO West at home as well, which I think will also be weaker teams)
        I think UNK will be middle tier or better. They hung around against almost everyone last year.

Comment

UNK rushing game is legit and will scare a lot of defensive coordinators and they go for it a lot on fourth down; so they certainly like to keep things tight. But on the defensive side their secondary is very suspect; they only had 4 INTs all year in a pass heavy league and the 4th lowest sack total with 18. and 8 of their 11 opponents return 80% of their passing or receiving yards so they'll likely face even more passing against their defense.

so on the one hand their offense does a good job of ball control and limiting possessions to keep games close; on the other hand their defense allows a lot of conversions without making many stops to also keep games close. I think that's a recipe to finish 5-6 just like last year.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
            UNK rushing game is legit and will scare a lot of defensive coordinators and they go for it a lot on fourth down; so they certainly like to keep things tight. But on the defensive side their secondary is very suspect; they only had 4 INTs all year in a pass heavy league and the 4th lowest sack total with 18. and 8 of their 11 opponents return 80% of their passing or receiving yards so they'll likely face even more passing against their defense.

so on the one hand their offense does a good job of ball control and limiting possessions to keep games close; on the other hand their defense allows a lot of conversions without making many stops to also keep games close. I think that's a recipe to finish 5-6 just like last year.
            You may be right, but they have been showing steady improvement under the current coach, so I was thinking they would continue that trend.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
              You may be right, but they have been showing steady improvement under the current coach, so I was thinking they would continue that trend.
              Looking at their schedule they could be a big sleeper - they have the 6 home 5 away schedule with 3 of those road games Lincoln, MO SO and Western. Long road trips for Pitt and Central MO to Kearney, NE - so if Kearney can improve on last year and take advantage of the schedule they could make noise.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X