Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Media Day Wednesday

Comparing a coach to Ted Bundy is pretty out there. I think he's shady, but c'mon man.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
      Comparing a coach to Ted Bundy is pretty out there. I think he's shady, but c'mon man.
      I was providing an example how the most convincing speakers can be dirt bags behind the scenes, you dunce. Also I think if you did some research you'd see he skipped over being shady and landed in scum territory.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornetfan View Post
        Think about it this way. 53 players, 10 coaches, 15-25 support people (trainers, managers, administrators, media) is a travel party of almost 90.

The cheapest flight out of KCI today was $77 to Denver (and that's for selected seats that are unsold on bigger flights from big airport to big airport) so that's $7000 minimum. On a red eye flight. At the bare minimum range to fly for an NCAA post season event.

When you consider you will take the whole plane, will want a time that is more flexible for you, and are probably flying into and out of smaller airports I'd bet $200 a person would be closer to the cost. Take that times 90 people and you are looking at $18,000 just for the flights. This does not count the bus from campus to the airport or from the airport to where you are playing.

It's expensive to run a team.
        Your final number didn't even come close.

From what I understand, the biggest problem with flights like that is the down time. Let's say that Northwest and Missouri Western needed to play at Lenoir-Rhyne and Catawba while Livingstone and Fayetteville State were going to play at Central Missouri and Washburn (everyone flies out of MCI). If there was a charter arranged where (1) Western flew to Charlotte and then (2) Livingstone caught the same plane back to KC where (3) Northwest was waiting to fly to Charlotte and (4) Fayetteville State was waiting to fly back to KC, you could save a lot of money on the cost per flight.

The problem with the charter is that an empty plane has to fly from (for example) Minneapolis to Kansas City. Then it has to fly a team to another location and land on a Friday at noon or so. It likely doesn't have a team to pick up in the remote location so it has to sit for over 24 hours until the team returns to be returned home. It's the down time that's expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
          I was thinking along these lines as well, it most likely would go 2-2-2-2 and if they got to a more strict proximity for the first two rounds to avoid flights, you'd end up the top 2 in each conference playing each other in round 1 (i.e. FHSU and NW Mo the last two years) Then round two would probably be most likely MIAA team facing the GAC team and GLIAC facing GLVC second round year after year. I wouldn't be much on board if week 12 the first round of playoffs is basically an all conference round.

But if they got rid of strict regionalization - then you could have a scenario where, in the case of FHSU and UNK in particular, they might actually play a team from Colorado - or if UCO (or any of the other Okie teams) made the playoffs might actually play a Texas team.
          You could almost do something if you expand to 32 teams of protecting the top 2 teams in each regional as the designated regional; and all the other 24 teams are assigned proximity only.
          Good thoughts.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

From what I understand, the biggest problem with flights like that is the down time. Let's say that Northwest and Missouri Western needed to play at Lenoir-Rhyne and Catawba while Livingstone and Fayetteville State were going to play at Central Missouri and Washburn (everyone flies out of MCI). If there was a charter arranged where (1) Western flew to Charlotte and then (2) Livingstone caught the same plane back to KC where (3) Northwest was waiting to fly to Charlotte and (4) Fayetteville State was waiting to fly back to KC, you could save a lot of money on the cost per flight.

The problem with the charter is that an empty plane has to fly from (for example) Minneapolis to Kansas City. Then it has to fly a team to another location and land on a Friday at noon or so. It likely doesn't have a team to pick up in the remote location so it has to sit for over 24 hours until the team returns to be returned home. It's the down time that's expensive.
            Northwest has their own plane, although it only holds I believe 8 people including pilots.:smile-big:

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
              Northwest has their own plane, although it only holds I believe 8 people including pilots.:smile-big:
              They just make a lot of flights! "No practice this week boys we gotta get everyone to Charlotte."

Comment

Originally posted by EveryCatAWildman View Post
                Jim Svodoba with about the cleanest take (I've heard anyway) on why it's not overly important the MIAA play outside the conference unless the playoffs are expanded. As long as there are 4 conferences in the region and 7 spots there's virtually no chance the MIAA gets 3 teams in the playoffs so just take the top 2 like we've been doing. If there was a possibility of fighting for a 3rd spot (in an 8 team regional) then yeah maybe having some outside competition might be useful.
                He emphasized this with those games would have to be early season and top teams probably wouldn't want to if it in fact hurt their chances (say the MIAA only got 1 team in the playoffs).
                He also alluded the NCAA may be looking into expanding the playoffs to 32 teams (8 per regional) and that to save money the first round or two would all be played during the morning/early afternoon to save on electric costs.

I thought it was a good take on his part in at least explaining the situation well. Not sure I agree with it but can't find fault in his thought process. I'd recommend others to go listen, it's towards the end of UCM interview.

Shhhhh don't tell Beck that. He is still waiting on a playoff spot and ignoring calls from bowl games.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenwoodBearcat View Post
                  Pitt would just fly their 6 (mvp) punters to the game and the rest of the monkeys would have to bus it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiss My Ass View Post
                    Pitt would just fly their 6 (mvp) punters to the game and the rest of the monkeys would have to bus it.
                    Central MO has their own aviation department. You all could just fire up all those Cessna 172's and get all your players to the games.

Comment

Lol all great ideas. Then everyone could see their worth by the flight they're on. "I'm on flight 12? Dang, I gotta step it up"

Comment

Doesn't Warrensburg have an AF base? They could get a big transport plane and just let the team parachute out over the field.

Comment

Case in point on expense of flying and why proximity might seriously need to be considered. 2 years ago when Ferris St. went to FHSU they flew into Salina then had to bus another 90 miles from there.

Comment

Doesn't Warrensburg have an AF base? They could get a big transport plane and just let the team parachute out over the field.
                            They could bring in game ball and everything.

Comment

That would be awesome and maybe even shove the mule mascot out in a parachute and let him carpet bomb the other team with road apples.
                              Last edited by Kiss My Ass; 08-02-2019, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

I knew my guess was going to be on the cheap side but I didn't want to go full sticker shock.

I did some digging and found that the NCAA put a cap of $350 one way for anyone over the official travel party of 70 for the preliminary rounds and 80 for the championship game. So I would assume $700 is the starting point for a seat on the flight. That's $24,500 but I'm sure the initial cost is more since that $700 would probably just be to fill out the plane that is scheduled. I'm betting the initial cost per person for the first 70 is higher than $700.

This is where a big chunk of that D1 basketball tourney money gets put to use by D2.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X