Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UCObluejay View Post
    I don't know why the Oklahoma schools are down and have been for so long. OU and OSU don't recruit OK players as much as they used to. But the D2 OK schools have traditionally been bringing up the rear in the GAC. Oklahoma has roughly a million more people than Arkansas.
    Pitt has targeted ok d2 talent for 30 plus years. the rest of the conference has been building recruiting bases down there and doing it for 25 or so..

Comment

Uco has everything it needs to move the southland is desperate to survive and would invite a okc based school since they added tamuc.

But uco will not be ok in an ok only conference with Cameron or panhandle. And I don't blame them. They have been positioning themselves for years for the move .

Comment

The most likely non-DI team in Oklahoma to move to D I is OCU. They used to be D-I and have the men's basketball history on their side.

I would have thought Langston could have been in the SWAC but the FAMU/BC move makes that idea moot unless the SLC raids the SWAC.

Personally, I have always had mixed feelings at a possible move. I just won't believe it unless I see it.
        Go Bronchos!

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

If this is the case, why aren't all the MIAA schools reclassifying? They've all made improvements.
          I get what you're saying, but I'm thinking about more than just major facility enhancements. It's a big investment in facilities plus this:
          Edmond, Oklahoma 1890 Public 16,428 Bronchos 2012
          Hays, Kansas 1902 Public 14,658 Tigers 2006
          Warrensburg, Missouri 1871 Public 14,148 Mules & Jennies 1912
          Tahlequah, Oklahoma 1909 Public 8,276 RiverHawks 2012
          Topeka, Kansas 1865 Public 7,971 Ichabods 1989
          Kearney, Nebraska 1905 Public 7,504 Lopers 2012
          Pittsburg, Kansas 1903 Public 7,102 Gorillas 1989
          Maryville, Missouri 1905 Public 6,530 Bearcats 1912
          Joplin, Missouri 1937 Public 6,229 Lions 1989
          Emporia, Kansas 1863 Public 5,887 Hornets 1991
          St. Joseph, Missouri 1915 Public 5,388 Griffons 1989
          Claremore, Oklahoma 1909 Public 4,300 Hillcats 2019
          Jefferson City, Missouri 1866 Public 3,583 Blue Tigers 1970;
          Wichita, Kansas 1933 Private (Catholic) 3,170 Jets 2019
          The column headers didn't copy over for some reason, but, as I'm sure you can tell, the bolded red number is UCO's enrollment. While I didn't double check to make sure that these enrollment figures are accurate enough still to make UCO the top dog in the MIAA, as far as I know, UCO has the highest (or close to the highest) enrollment. I don't have any inside information, but it just seems like the leadership at UCO and the institution's overall trajectory is pointing towards a move to D1/FCS sometime in the near future. To me, their situation seems pretty similar to many of the recent schools that we have seen "moving up" in the last couple years. The recent exodus of a few schools from the LCS in particular makes me wonder what would stop UCO from making a similar move if that is what the leadership wants. Infusions of big money like the subject of this thread don't exactly throw any cold water on the idea. Someone made a good point earlier in the thread, why expand their stadium right now when, as far as I know, they haven't had a single sell out crowd at their stadium's current capacity, which at 10,000, is already on the large side for a D2 facility.

Yes, other schools have made major upgrades to their football (and other) facilities in recent years (see MWSU in particular), but most of them (again see MWSU) don't appear to be in a financial position to make such a move any time in the near future. UCO on the other hand? I don't really know anything about their financials, except that it seems to me, the schools with the larger enrollments tend to have bigger wallets. It's not hard to imagine UCO leaders looking at the University of Tulsa (FBS) with a measly student population of under 4,000 (albeit with a huge endowment $$$) and thinking, wait a minute, the only two schools in Oklahoma with more students than us are OU and OSU, why shouldn't we be at least D1-FCS? Especially when they look around and see the North Alabama's, ACU's, Tarleton's, and Commerce's of the D2 world leaving for "greener pastures".

Brandon, I'm with you, I think D2 is a great place to be, and that there are already too many teams in D1/FBS/FCS as it is that probably don't belong there or can't sustain that level of financial commitment forever, but as you know well, the draw of the ESPN ticker and the occasional appearance in the D1 Basketball tourney are sometimes too much for university leadership to resist. Time will tell, but UCO just seems to fit the profile of schools that we have recently seen leave D2 and "move up" as they say. You could probably even make an argument that they may be better positioned to make the move than a couple of the institutions that I listed.

Comment

"Someone made a good point earlier in the thread, why expand their stadium right now when, as far as I know, they haven't had a single sell out crowd at their stadium's current capacity, which at 10,000, is already on the large side for a D2 facility."

Admittedly, as others have pointed out, improving and expanding the stadium in hopes of getting the Oklahoma high school football championships would definitely be a reasonable answer to this question. But having a football facility ready to go for FCS if/when the time comes is a nice bonus, so who knows.

Comment

Enrollment wise, the ucm, gv , and UCO sized schools are kind of tweeners.they are about half the size of the small to medium D1s like ku and about twice the size of the competitiv.e d2 schools.

Not sure what the enrollment is at an average 1aa school, though.

Comment

Go Bearcats!
                M-I-Z-Z-O-U!

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post
                  Enrollment wise, the ucm, gv , and UCO sized schools are kind of tweeners.they are about half the size of the small to medium D1s like ku and about twice the size of the competitiv.e d2 schools.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Boys View Post

UCO would also need to add a 6th men's sport. Yes, it can be a cheap sport like cross country but until that is actually done they are going nowhere.

Comment

It's not that adding a men's sport is an obstacle, it's the fact that UCO with only 5 men's sports will prevent them from moving to D1.

Comment

Wayne and GV would be average sized big 12 schools. That said, there are a ton of factors other than enrollment numbers.

Meanwhile, Notre Dame is standing in the corner laughing at this discussion.

Comment

If uco wasn't in Edmond with our and osu fifty miles or less away this would be a no brainer move up. They should be better in miaa but keeps under achieving in the years they should be good like this year.

Ok schools have struggled in last 15 years even uco. The mid level talent is pulled out of state by a variety of factors but the biggest pullers are Pitt, moso ( from neo am) but the worst is emporia. Higgins time at nwosu has given him coaching connections throughout state. But there are other factors involved as well.

Comment

Wayne and GV would be average sized big 12 schools. That said, there are a ton of factors other than enrollment numbers.

Meanwhile, Notre Dame is standing in the corner laughing at this discussion.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X