Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coaching staff on the hot seat. Rank em

1. Northeastern State Staff - Eckert enters his fifth year. A very hard program to turnaround, but no improvement spells doom for the staff.
    2.. NWMSU O - The fire RW thread is long and detailed. I don't see how you fire him after one bad year (which is still above .500). But if don't see how staff changes aren't made. If they don't have the basketball success that they've had to distract fans i think pitchforks come out much earlier. Even the casual fan can see that they have regressed from a talent standpoint. Defense is still great. offense is bad. I see them keeping RW, but making changes on offense.
    3. Pitt State D - There has been regression. I feel like some position groups are above average while some look avg to below. I don't see this staff sitting making a move, but there are glaring areas of improvement.
    4. Washburn D - I think the whole program needs new blood injected into it. I don't think they will make any moves, because Schurig has been there forever and they seem to stop caring about winning 5 years ago. They look like a high school team on defense. I bet Watkins tries to jump ship for a position gig
    5. UCO staff - Dorrel has another year or two off of reputation before he is in trouble

Originally posted by HookemHerd View Post
    1. Northeastern State Staff - Eckert enters his fifth year. A very hard program to turnaround, but no improvement spells doom for the staff.
    2.. NWMSU O - The fire RW thread is long and detailed. I don't see how you fire him after one bad year (which is still above .500). But if don't see how staff changes aren't made. If they don't have the basketball success that they've had to distract fans i think pitchforks come out much earlier. Even the casual fan can see that they have regressed from a talent standpoint. Defense is still great. offense is bad. I see them keeping RW, but making changes on offense.
    3. Pitt State D - There has been regression. I feel like some position groups are above average while some look avg to below. I don't see this staff sitting making a move, but there are glaring areas of improvement.
    4. Washburn D - I think the whole program needs new blood injected into it. I don't think they will make any moves, because Schurig has been there forever and they seem to stop caring about winning 5 years ago. They look like a high school team on defense. I bet Watkins tries to jump ship for a position gig
    5. UCO staff - Dorrel has another year or two off of reputation before he is in trouble
    Yeah. The Pitt DC job just kind of dropped in the guys lap late in the off-season. I think he'll get another year at least. Then again there's a good chance he'll move on in the off-season if they win a playoff game or 2.

Comment

I always made the assumption Watkins was going to try and make the coaching ladder climb into D1. Recruited well. Coached LB position well. Coached DL decent. A little surprised he’s stayed at Washburn 10 years now.

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Yeah. The Pitt DC job just kind of dropped in the guys lap late in the off-season. I think he'll get another year at least. Then again there's a good chance he'll move on in the off-season if they win a playoff game or 2.
        Tom Anthony was in town after the Sioux Falls game. Just a friendly visit? Professional? Consulting?

Him and Wright go back years, and Anthony is the one who suggest our secondary coach from Angelo state.

Comment

Originally posted by washeduptiger View Post
          I always made the assumption Watkins was going to try and make the coaching ladder climb into D1. Recruited well. Coached LB position well. Coached DL decent. A little surprised he’s stayed at Washburn 10 years now.
          Great players don't make great coaches. I think he is a good d2 defensive coach. Some years they have great defense, others bad. This year really bad. Maybe he was told he'd take over the program? Schurig has been there forever. They hit rock bottom this year

Comment

Great players don't make great coaches. I think he is a good d2 defensive coach. Some years they have great defense, others bad. This year really bad. Maybe he was told he'd take over the program? Schurig has been there forever. They hit rock bottom this year
            Do the defenses suck because of lack of coaching or recruiting or both? Regardless a coord can only control so much if the HC won’t assemble him some coaching talent behind him.

that being said I have no idea what he’s like as a coord. Thought he did a fine job as a position coach at both spots in Hays— don’t know how many all conference linebackers he’s turned out though.

Comment

Zero, will lose their job!
              Hookem, we know you want Schurig gone, the others are a waste of time
              Last edited by mtxe; 11-07-2023, 07:38 AM.

Comment

The only real possibility is Northeastern State. Everyone else is a long shot.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexTheHAMMER View Post
                  The only real possibility is Northeastern State. Everyone else is a long shot.
                  Not sure why he would be on the hot seat. Theyve had a bunch of coaches with the same results. At some point, they have to realize it's a university issue, not a coaching issue.

Comment

Think if Brown wouldn’t have had this season they would’ve been breathing down his neck but I really don’t think there’s much turn our nose up at this season. Really do believe UCM and MWSU were winnable games which was encouraging. I was hoping for 6 wins and already have 7

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

Not sure why he would be on the hot seat. Theyve had a bunch of coaches with the same results. At some point, they have to realize it's a university issue, not a coaching issue.
                      That would require a level of introspection not a lot of administrators are capable of. Easier to change coaches than change culture/resources/whatever else might be the root issue.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                        That would require a level of introspection not a lot of administrators are capable of. Easier to change coaches than change culture/resources/whatever else might be the root issue.
                        Truth be told, they may not want to. I talk to tall my "dreamer" students about being careful about going to schools who only have sports to get students. They usually don't have the resources to be successful and are looking to pad their tuition with more bodies.

Comment

Originally posted by mtxe View Post

Zero, will lose their job!
                          Hookem, we know you want Schurig gone, the others are a waste of time
                          Unless they have 3 seasons in a row like this he has a job for as long as he wants it. The football facilities that have been built under his tenure are impressive. A top 3 finish every 8-9 years is enough for him to keep his job. They were super young this year and they look to be recruiting much different areas of the US than they previously did. Maybe they develop those kids and next year crack above .500 . They just looked flat and had deer in the headlights looks even in warm ups this year.

Comment

Originally posted by GorillaTeacher View Post

Truth be told, they may not want to. I talk to tall my "dreamer" students about being careful about going to schools who only have sports to get students. They usually don't have the resources to be successful and are looking to pad their tuition with more bodies.
                            Really good point. One school in Springfield,MO. Had 45 kids on the baseball team. It was D2. Almost all the JV teams in NAIA are a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by GrifFan View Post
                              On top of that, new president and AD that's been there for two years. He was willing to let go of the Women's Basketball coach immediately after the season as well

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X