Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junior Colleges

Are we all just JUCO's now? Do D2 coaches change their recruiting tune and tell players that they can work their way up to bigger schools by being a star at their D2 school? I understand transferring. I was a transfer. My transfer had nothing to do with football/playing time/etc. It was because of my personal life. The portal has massively multiplied the number of transfers, obviously, with the elimination of penalties. The portal has turned all schools that aren't at the top of the college football pyramid into glorified junior colleges. Why wouldn't a Jay Harris put his name in the portal to test the waters? Why wouldn't Mr. Harlon Hill put his in too (I know he's not, and kudos to him). It's just going to be hard for schools to build continuity. Old man rant over.

To an extent, yes. I'm fine with it, tbh.

Comment

Originally posted by bronchoforlife View Post
      Are we all just JUCO's now? Do D2 coaches change their recruiting tune and tell players that they can work their way up to bigger schools by being a star at their D2 school? I understand transferring. I was a transfer. My transfer had nothing to do with football/playing time/etc. It was because of my personal life. The portal has massively multiplied the number of transfers, obviously, with the elimination of penalties. The portal has turned all schools that aren't at the top of the college football pyramid into glorified junior colleges. Why wouldn't a Jay Harris put his name in the portal to test the waters? Why wouldn't Mr. Harlon Hill put his in too (I know he's not, and kudos to him). It's just going to be hard for schools to build continuity. Old man rant over.
      Do you think Clemson has been underperforming for the last few years because Dabo refuses to utilize the portal?

Comment

I greatly dislike the sentiment that a player moving up to challenge himself at a higher level is somehow less admirable than remaining a big fish in a small pond.

To be clear, sometimes it's just a guy buying into his own hype, but there's definitely no shame in trying to better your situation, and kind of silly not to do it if you have the talent..

Comment

"Wait, UCO has a football team?"-Alluded to by many people I know.

Unpopular opinion, especially here, (and it isn't like I personally like what I am about to say) :

I know you're speaking in regards to playing/transfering. But in regards to public prestige, it always has been OU/OSU, and then everything else. I remember that during the 90s too.

As a student, it used to make me annoyed when I saw the prevalence of OU/OSU shirts on campus, and only 3K (UCO's enrollment was high at the time) at a game. I had a prof once that also made that point to the class, nobody cared. People used to wonder why UCO doesn't move up to FCS. THEY! HAVE! THEIR! ANSWER!

Now as someone who is still interested in UCO. D2 is a niche for fans. Many of the UCO/Central State graduates I went to school with, and those that I work with that went there before or after me, never pay attention to anything that happens in Edmond. They couldn't even tell you what conference UCO plays in. Most have NEVER been to a game, or at least went as an alumnus. I blame the student/alumni outreach groups, it sucked as a student and it is worse now. The social media team is unoriginal, rinse repeat. If President Lamb needs to cut bureaucracy/costs, those groups would be my recommendation to be retrained and reassigned.

I didn't even get a flyer for homecoming in the mail, however I always get biannual letters asking for donations. I wonder how much debt UCO is in?

Kids these days have this belief that they are destined to be in the spotlight. I see it personally daily. Then again, what do I know, I am just too dumb to make money on TikTok? Take who you can get because all of these kids are looking to get theirs. Can we honestly say D2 will ever get that spotlight?

If anything it is like someone leaving for a different job.

If the student body doesn't care, the institutions only moderately care, why do we expect the kids to care? P5 or bust.
          Go Bronchos!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X