X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: OPSU vs WTSU

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
    HUGE emphasis on "a lot".

After what happened in Nacogdoches yesterday, the Texans are going to be chomping at the bit next week. Good luck!

Comment

Kochevar is the DC, McDonough is the OC. It will be interesting to see how long the RPO fad will continue. However, if WT's receivers continue to drop passes that hit them in the chest, it is going to make for a long season. Hood is a good QB, but he needs a consistent run game and guys that can make tough catches in traffic. If Hughes can get a defense that leads the league in takeaways, it will add a few more games to the win column.

Comment

Originally posted by WTSUBuff View Post
        Kochevar is the DC, McDonough is the OC. It will be interesting to see how long the RPO fad will continue. However, if WT's receivers continue to drop passes that hit them in the chest, it is going to make for a long season. Hood is a good QB, but he needs a consistent run game and guys that can make tough catches in traffic. If Hughes can get a defense that leads the league in takeaways, it will add a few more games to the win column.

Yeah, I get 'em confused. I edited my post. McDonough's offense has been pretty damn anemic. Look at the conference stats. Offense at the bottom. Defense in the top tier.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
          WT's defense was solid. Very physical. They were able to get pressure on the QB, which helped enable the 4 picks, 2 for TDs. Pflugerville true freshman CB Tobias Harris continued his stellar coming out. He had his 3rd interception of the season, this one a pick six. Also 6 tackles, I believe, to go along with the pick. And about a 60 yard punt return.

The offense still needs work. I worry about the injury to RB Logan Vallo. With Duke Carter and Vallo, WT has a good one-two RB combo. Collin Bailey isn't on par with Vallo if he has to go in his place.

12 penalties for 157 yards. I kept looking for Carthel on the sidelines. :smile-big:

Two or three big plays called back for penalties would have added another 100 yards to the WT offensive totals. Which brings up the "you could call holding on every play if you wanted to" lament. The LSC is plagued with lousy middle school officials and they call games like they are middle school games. Watching the officiating for big-time games, say OU-UCLA today, I'm impressed with the way officials discriminate and temper their calls. Hell, they could call holding on every play if they wanted to. But they don't. On one WT play, a screen pass that Carter took for about a 70 yard gain to inside the Panhandle 5 (wait maybe it was a TD-I was watching the holding call), they called a hold on a WT player all the way across the field 30 yards away and considerably behind the action on the other sideline. ????

I really like where Hughes and his DC is taking this team. Not so much with McDonough as OC. And that's an understatement. If I'm Coach Hughes, I'd be making a short list of potential OC replacement candidates for next year. McDonough may have had a couple good years as OC at Western State (had a great RB) before coming to WT, but put me in the unimpressed column for now.

Next week will give WT fans a true indicator of where the program is and where it needs to go. We are a very young team. Patience is difficult for we fans.

6,889 announced attendance. I estimated about 7,000. Pretty good crowd considering last year and the first game loss last week. A winning program will pack the new Stadium every week. SRO.
          It appears Vallo is out for the year.

Comment

Neither Carter, Vallo, or Collins are "big" backs. We need that 220 pounder that's hard to bring down to complement a runner like Carter. Maybe the Johnson kid will return soon from injury. The WR's missed a couple 20-25 yard should-have-been completions that hit them in their hands. Plus a few others. Hood should have had at least 5 more completions if the WRs had done their job. Plus another 75 yards of offense.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
              It appears Vallo is out for the year.
              That sucks. For him and the offense.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
                That sucks. For him and the offense.
                Definitely, in my opinion he is the better back out of him and Carter. Im assuming Jordan Johnson will get plenty of carries when he ia back along with Brandon Blair who played quite a bit as a freshman last year.

Im concerned about the defensive injuries as well. Henry Paul, one of our starting DL, was out on crutches last night. Hayden Dennis and Koby Welch, both starting LBs were out last night. Dennis also on crutches, i didnt see Welch on the sideline.

Comment

Man Vallo looked good too.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
                    Definitely, in my opinion he is the better back out of him and Carter. Im assuming Jordan Johnson will get plenty of carries when he ia back along with Brandon Blair who played quite a bit as a freshman last year.

Im concerned about the defensive injuries as well. Henry Paul, one of our starting DL, was out on crutches last night. Hayden Dennis and Koby Welch, both starting LBs were out last night. Dennis also on crutches, i didnt see Welch on the sideline.
                    Like I've said, we're one more good recruiting class away from building some (talented) depth. Another 25 or so redshirts this year, a good recruiting class next year with I hope about 10 transfers and there you are. But, not now.

Comment

I agree. Way too many passes dropped. Hood has some skills but he needs to watch the secondary better. I think he will continue to improve.

Comment

One can't draw any conclusions from such a game - OPSU is one step above a 5A high school team. This was a scrimmage against the local high school club.

Texas Tech the same. Don't get all excited and rowdy when you beat a team like 3 rungs down from you 77-0. Let's talk about your beat down at the hands of a very mediocre Ole Miss.

Comment

Originally posted by Herb Street View Post
                          One can't draw any conclusions from such a game - OPSU is one step above a 5A high school team. This was a scrimmage against the local high school club.

Texas Tech the same. Don't get all excited and rowdy when you beat a team like 3 rungs down from you 77-0. Let's talk about your beat down at the hands of a very mediocre Ole Miss.
                          Yeah it cracks me up how my Tech friends on facebook beat their chest about beating Lamar. Either their 69 or 76 point came on a long touchdown pass which annoyed me big time. Hoping they finish 3-8 or worse and Kliff is shown the door without a Texas win intervention.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                            Yeah it cracks me up how my Tech friends on facebook beat their chest about beating Lamar. Either their 69 or 76 point came on a long touchdown pass which annoyed me big time. Hoping they finish 3-8 or worse and Kliff is shown the door without a Texas win intervention.

Comment

I always joke with my die hard Tech friends each year and ask them who their opening game is this year to start the southland conference season. They do that to make sure they can get to 6 wins to play in a bowl game. At least Texas will schedule all FBS teams even if one of them may suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                                I always joke with my die hard Tech friends each year and ask them who their opening game is this year to start the southland conference season. They do that to make sure they can get to 6 wins to play in a bowl game. At least Texas will schedule all FBS teams even if one of them may suck.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X