Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Week 4 - Attendance Numbers

Originally posted by Casual_Observer View Post
    It's crazy that Midwestern doesn't have over 10K at every home game.

I think the MSU athletic/Marketing department believes the same thing you just said TexanFan "Winning makes people come". This is not true in Wichita Falls, most people do not even know there is a game, much less how the team is doing.

It's not like there is anything else to do within 2 hours of here, so not sure what people are doing in town on a Saturday night.
    You need a vested interest to go to a college sporting event.

Without that what reason is there to go?

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
      You need a vested interest to go to a college sporting event.

Without that what reason is there to go?
      True, but when a good chunk of the town went to the Univerisity it is just sad if they do not make it out. I think there are a few things the Athletic and Marketing departments in our conference could do to boost attendance. I like what Tarleton does for bigger games in basketball, they give free tickets to surrounding towns. I think if you take the hit on ticket sales (Sales you probably would not have anyway) and make you money off concessions and maybe gear, then you will begin to establish a solid fan base. Maybe I am naive.

Comment

True, but when a good chunk of the town went to the Univerisity it is just sad if they do not make it out. I think there are a few things the Athletic and Marketing departments in our conference could do to boost attendance. I like what Tarleton does for bigger games in basketball, they give free tickets to surrounding towns. I think if you take the hit on ticket sales (Sales you probably would not have anyway) and make you money off concessions and maybe gear, then you will begin to establish a solid fan base. Maybe I am naive.
        Not to be that guy but less than 25% of the town of Wichita Falls has a college education (4 year degree), that's including all colleges, not just Midwestern State. I'd bet the vast majority couldn't care less about MSU athletics. Most D2 schools face the same issue.

Comment

If these we accurate numbers this would be a conversation worth having, but DII attendance numbers are not accurate. There are no rules to how to track attendance. Some schools do tickets sold, some do actual attendance, some count the band and cheerleaders, and MOST just pick a number out of the sky. I have been at many, many DII games where the reported attendance was 4 or 5 thousand and there wasn't more than 1 thousand at the game. If you cut the reported attendance in half you would be closer to reality in most cases. Some Lie alot more than others so you might need to look at more like 30% of reported attendance is reality. The bottom line is the data is not worth comparing in any way shape or form.

Comment

That's an interesting idea. Makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
              That's an interesting idea. Makes sense.
              I think a lot of schools try things like this but it's the same stale, effortless promotion year to year. No creativity, no real thought required.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
              Working...
              X