Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wt run style thread

For a team that wants to run the ball so much, and doesnt run the Zone read why does WT use the shot gun exclusively.

Seems like they could get better run mechanics and play action comming from under center?
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Originally posted by Boohaha View Post
    For a team that wants to run the ball so much, and doesnt run the Zone read why does WT use the shot gun exclusively.

Seems like they could get better run mechanics and play action comming from under center?

Comment

Re: Wt run style thread

With duke running zones and stretches out of the backfield, with a2 or 3 te set, heck convert one of those skinny tackles if needed, and big 84 out wide, WT could roadgrade most teams. Smaller lineman work great for zone and stretch schemes with the occassional roll out pass to the backside te, or receiver.
      Cut block the backside and watch the homie run. 3-5 yards at a time and eat the clock, win 28-0.

As it is now lb's see the qb clearly put the ball in dukes gut or toss it or pick it up to pass, they dont even have to read the guards. And the qb is 0 threat to run so backside de just crashes without care.

Comment

With duke running zones and stretches out of the backfield, with a2 or 3 te set, heck convert one of those skinny tackles if needed, and big 84 out wide, WT could roadgrade most teams. Smaller lineman work great for zone and stretch schemes with the occassional roll out pass to the backside te, or receiver.
        Cut block the backside and watch the homie run. 3-5 yards at a time and eat the clock, win 28-0.

As it is now lb's see the qb clearly put the ball in dukes gut or toss it or pick it up to pass, they dont even have to read the guards. And the qb is 0 threat to run so backside de just crashes without care.
        One of the complaints Hughes had against Ben Arbuckle was that "he tripped over his own feet" when lined up behind center but as you note he's running the shotgun a lot now.

No Houghtaling is not a good runner and he has poor accuracy on long passes. The best thing about him is he's smart and doesn't put the ball up for grabs.

I'm hoping Carter is healed up because we may not score in our next 2 games without him.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
          One of the complaints Hughes had against Ben Arbuckle was that "he tripped over his own feet" when lined up behind center but as you note he's running the shotgun a lot now.

No Houghtaling is not a good runner and he has poor accuracy on long passes. The best thing about him is he's smart and doesn't put the ball up for grabs.

I'm hoping Carter is healed up because we may not score in our next 2 games without him.
          Yes, I think its largely a function of HS QBs not knowing how to take a snap under center and sprint back. The 4 weeks or so they get to practice isnt enough time to learn that technique properly. Then Bad Things happen. If you snap under center the QB has to learn 3, 5, and 7 step drop and everyone needs to be on the same page.

Comment

Do they have the right players to run 21 or 22 personnel?

Comment

But then unable to beat more talented teams.

One dimensional does not win championships.....nor make playoffs for that matter. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                But then unable to beat more talented teams.

One dimensional does not win championships.....nor make playoffs for that matter. ;)
                Pueblo has used that exact formula to dominate a conference and win a national title. Good defense, strong run game and opprotunistic passing.

They also whipped other teams that thought themselves superior.

Comment

Pueblo has used that exact formula to dominate a conference and win a national title. Good defense, strong run game and opprotunistic passing.

They also whipped other teams that thought themselves superior.
                  Bonner threw for 30 TDs and 3300 yards when Pueblo won in 2014.

2015 and on is when Pueblo has become fairly one dimensional, they were able to go beat Midwestern on the road but got smacked by Grand Valley. They've dominated the conference to a lesser extent as well.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post
                      Bonner threw for 30 TDs and 3300 yards when Pueblo won in 2014.

2015 and on is when Pueblo has become fairly one dimensional, they were able to go beat Midwestern on the road but got smacked by Grand Valley. They've dominated the conference to a lesser extent as well.
                      Pueblo was still about 60-40 run to pass plays called to their 2k yard running back. Bonner was not a run threat that year by his stats.

I just dont understand why its so hard to teach a kid to take a snap from under center? 3rd graders learn it all the time. They have an entire spring to get it done.

Comment

Bad day at Black Rock, aka The Wagon Wheel game. If something/someone not working, try something/someone new. Tony Romo did it for the Cowboys, then again if you want your team/coaching staff like their whopping then keep at it. By the way Spencer Tracy got an Oscar for his role.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
                          Do they have the right players to run 21 or 22 personnel?
                          I don't believe so, the line isnt there yet. The big JUCO TE was hurt preseason and hasn't played all year. It will take another recruiting cycle with some good JUCO transfers to make it work in my opinion. They tried a lot more under center with a fullback last year than this year, but by and large werent successful with it.

Comment

I just dont understand why its so hard to teach a kid to take a snap from under center? 3rd graders learn it all the time. They have an entire spring to get it done.[/QUOTE]

To many things going thru thier head. Trying to learn how to read from a different position on field. How to get footwork down. And less time to make decisions on what to throw. It's much harder to pass from under center snap. But there are so many more possibilities that are on table when you do so with play action passes

West coast from center is much more challenging for a QB to learn than spread shotgun. Think of old 49ers video. Everytine you see Walsh he was working with Montana and Young about the footwork on the three different drops.

Comment

Originally posted by the Northeasterner View Post
                              I just dont understand why its so hard to teach a kid to take a snap from under center? 3rd graders learn it all the time. They have an entire spring to get it done.
                              To many things going thru thier head. Trying to learn how to read from a different position on field. How to get footwork down. And less time to make decisions on what to throw. It's much harder to pass from under center snap. But there are so many more possibilities that are on table when you do so with play action passes

West coast from center is much more challenging for a QB to learn than spread shotgun. Think of old 49ers video. Everytine you see Walsh he was working with Montana and Young about the footwork on the three different drops.[/QUOTE]
                              Eastern New Mexico took a freshman from Logan NM and put him under center. He played 8 man football 6 less total guys on the field and i would bet my paycheck you he didnt have to make the presnap reads and adjustments or have the footwork he had to have to run the triple. He took every snap from the gun before college, if he can learn others can to, if Hughes doesnt have a coach that can teach it, then fire him and find someone.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X