Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simon Fraser-UBC Rivalry Resumes!

https://athletics.sfu.ca/news/2022/6...c-is-back.aspx

Simon Fraser will resume their old Shrum Bowl rivalry with U of British Columbia. Game will be played in the postseason. Of course the main hurdle is the difference in rules, but it looks like they will be playing under NCAA rules.

Who would have thought a Canadian college football rivalry makes headlines in Lone Star football news?

We all like the rivalry games! What's the history??
    The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post
      We all like the rivalry games! What's the history??
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shrum_Bowl

The game is named after Gordon Shrum who was a professor and later a dean at UBC from 1925 to 1961 and served as the first chancellor of SFU from 1964 to 1968. SFU leads the series 17-15-1.

This is a good pickup for SFU and UBC posters would come to the GNAC boards for it after SFU joined the GNAC. It went on hiatus also when SFU moved to the NAIA , which they left when CWU, WWU, and WOU moved to the NCAA. I was surprised when I went to CWU that SFU was in the conference as they are a Canadian school.

Comment

There's a nice video about the game on the SFU announcement.

Comment

Looks like that game will be a good one.
          The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

As someone who has coached at both UBC and SFU ( 3 years at UBC and 8 at SFU), I can tell you that the Shrum Bowl rivalry is fierce!! It really does not matter what either team's record is as long as you win the Shrum Bowl, your season is a success!! I was fortunate enough to be a coach at SFU when the last Shrum happened and we had to play it under Canadian rules because the game was at UBC. That was our first year in the NCAA and we were winless, BUT we defeated UBC!! The record is a long one but most importantly SFU has more wins than UBC!!! Certain things seem to be a part of Shrum Bowl tradition, the previously stated win that can save an otherwise dismal season and some even more colourful events as well!! 1) Some dumb Freshman will drink too much and barf all over the stands, 2) There will be a streaker who will try to run across the field, 3) the Mascots will get into a fight ( One year the SFU Wrestling team, in Kilts, yes some were Regimental, ie. no underwear) were attacked by the Thunderbirds' Birds and the birds were damn near de-feathered and got tied into knots!!) 4) The game itself will usually be close and extremely hard hitting!! I am really looking forward to the game which will be at SFU and played under NCAA rules. GO SFU!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SINGLE MALT View Post
              As someone who has coached at both UBC and SFU ( 3 years at UBC and 8 at SFU), I can tell you that the Shrum Bowl rivalry is fierce!! It really does not matter what either team's record is as long as you win the Shrum Bowl, your season is a success!! I was fortunate enough to be a coach at SFU when the last Shrum happened and we had to play it under Canadian rules because the game was at UBC. That was our first year in the NCAA and we were winless, BUT we defeated UBC!! The record is a long one but most importantly SFU has more wins than UBC!!! Certain things seem to be a part of Shrum Bowl tradition, the previously stated win that can save an otherwise dismal season and some even more colourful events as well!! 1) Some dumb Freshman will drink too much and barf all over the stands, 2) There will be a streaker who will try to run across the field, 3) the Mascots will get into a fight ( One year the SFU Wrestling team, in Kilts, yes some were Regimental, ie. no underwear) were attacked by the Thunderbirds' Birds and the birds were damn near de-feathered and got tied into knots!!) 4) The game itself will usually be close and extremely hard hitting!! I am really looking forward to the game which will be at SFU and played under NCAA rules. GO SFU!!!!
              This is a very interesting topic! Can you briefly explain the difference in the Canadian rules? Is it comparable to the CFL (3 downs, wider and longer field)?

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

This is a very interesting topic! Can you briefly explain the difference in the Canadian rules? Is it comparable to the CFL (3 downs, wider and longer field)?
                Pretty well the same rules as the CFL. The differences are the bigger, wider field, the unlimited backfield motion before the snap and then there are the rules for the kicking game!! Missed punts and field goals that are missed that go into the end zone must be returned out or the kicking team gets the "Rouge," a single point. Near the end of the game, in a tie or one point game you will often see the "Kick-out" to avoid giving up the Rouge, which of course could be fielded by the original kicking team and kicked back in!!! On any loose live ball, a fumble, a kick-off, etc. the team who has the last touch of the ball will get possession!! There are some more differences but suffice it to say when the last Shrum was played both of our Coordinators were American and had not even seen a Canadian game and when I explained the differences to the team and coaches, our DC became so exasperated that he threw his white board marker at the board and said, " You guys do whatever we have to do!! It makes no Damn sense to me!!"

Comment

Originally posted by SINGLE MALT View Post

Pretty well the same rules as the CFL. The differences are the bigger, wider field, the unlimited backfield motion before the snap and then there are the rules for the kicking game!! Missed punts and field goals that are missed that go into the end zone must be returned out or the kicking team gets the "Rouge," a single point. Near the end of the game, in a tie or one point game you will often see the "Kick-out" to avoid giving up the Rouge, which of course could be fielded by the original kicking team and kicked back in!!! On any loose live ball, a fumble, a kick-off, etc. the team who has the last touch of the ball will get possession!! There are some more differences but suffice it to say when the last Shrum was played both of our Coordinators were American and had not even seen a Canadian game and when I explained the differences to the team and coaches, our DC became so exasperated that he threw his white board marker at the board and said, " You guys do whatever we have to do!! It makes no Damn sense to me!!"
                  Thanks for the info. I watched the Grey Cup last year because WT's former placekicker Sergio Castillo was playing for Winnipeg. He scored more than half the points for the win.

Some of those rules are pretty unexpected when they come into play, like the last touched ball. I personally have not seen the "kick-out", but in the Grey Cup a losing team member elected not to run a kick out, giving up the rouge. It was a really bad choice.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

Thanks for the info. I watched the Grey Cup last year because WT's former placekicker Sergio Castillo was playing for Winnipeg. He scored more than half the points for the win.

Some of those rules are pretty unexpected when they come into play, like the last touched ball. I personally have not seen the "kick-out", but in the Grey Cup a losing team member elected not to run a kick out, giving up the rouge. It was a really bad choice.
                    I personally like the "no yards" penalty on punts. This definitely makes it safer for punt returners.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X