Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SFU Schedule Changes

https://athletics.sfu.ca/news/2022/8...ashington.aspx

Simon Fraser has had to move four of their home games to Blaine High School in Blaine, WA. These games are affected:

Oct.1 vs. Texas A&M-Kingsville
    Oct. 22 vs. Western New Mexico
    Oct. 29 vs. Angelo State
    Nov. 12 vs. West Texas A&M

As of this date, the only games SFU is scheduled to host in Canada will be Sept. 17 vs. Central Washington and Dec. 2 against the U. of British Columbia.

SFU has also cancelled their Sept. 10 game against Montana State-Northern.

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post
    https://athletics.sfu.ca/news/2022/8...ashington.aspx

Simon Fraser has had to move four of their home games to Blaine High School in Blaine, WA. These games are affected:

Oct.1 vs. Texas A&M-Kingsville
    Oct. 22 vs. Western New Mexico
    Oct. 29 vs. Angelo State
    Nov. 12 vs. West Texas A&M

As of this date, the only games SFU is scheduled to host in Canada will be Sept. 17 vs. Central Washington and Dec. 2 against the U. of British Columbia.

SFU has also cancelled their Sept. 10 game against Montana State-Northern.
    I wonder if that has to do more with passports or Covid vaccinations. I'm glad though that they are able to play in Blaine unlike last year. For those that don't know, that is where the border crossing is on I-5 and about a 2 hour drive from Seattle and about an hour from Vancouver, BC and a shorter drive from YVR than CWU is from SEA or even PSC (getting a direct flight to DFW for those that don't want to brave the pass) for those that decide to go.

Comment

Man, that sucks. It's no doubt due to vaccination requirements to cross the border. If you can't play on campus, you're never going to build a fan base.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I wonder if that has to do more with passports or Covid vaccinations. I'm glad though that they are able to play in Blaine unlike last year. For those that don't know, that is where the border crossing is on I-5 and about a 2 hour drive from Seattle and about an hour from Vancouver, BC and a shorter drive from YVR than CWU is from SEA or even PSC (getting a direct flight to DFW for those that don't want to brave the pass) for those that decide to go.
        I did a cruise out of Vancouver on April 30th. We rode up on a bus chartered by the cruise line from the Seattle airport.

It's never fun crossing the border but this was the worst ever. As usual, the traffic was nightmarish near the border. When we finally pulled up to Canadian Customs, we had to wait about half an hour before being allowed in the building. People were yelled at for approaching the officer (both too slow and too fast). He did not yell at me though.

Everyone had the ArriveCan app printouts but no one looked at them. We (all 7 of us) were allowed to pass, where more nightmarish traffic was encountered on the way to the cruise terminal. When we finally arrived after about 5 hours from the Seattle airport, we were forced to show our passports 5 times (once to US Customs before boarding the ship). Also, we were stopped because we had not filled out the return leg in the ArriveCan app, which seemed stupid because it was the following week. Arguing did no good. It was by far the worst experience I've ever had entering any country.

I think SFU did the right thing because trying to get busloads of US players by the Canadian Customs crew would be very difficult. It might be easier flying into Vancouver but also much more expensive. I won't be going on any more cruises out of Vancouver for the foreseeable future.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I did a cruise out of Vancouver on April 30th. We rode up on a bus chartered by the cruise line from the Seattle airport.

It's never fun crossing the border but this was the worst ever. As usual, the traffic was nightmarish near the border. When we finally pulled up to Canadian Customs, we had to wait about half an hour before being allowed in the building. People were yelled at for approaching the officer (both too slow and too fast). He did not yell at me though.

Everyone had the ArriveCan app printouts but no one looked at them. We (all 7 of us) were allowed to pass, where more nightmarish traffic was encountered on the way to the cruise terminal. When we finally arrived after about 5 hours from the Seattle airport, we were forced to show our passports 5 times (once to US Customs before boarding the ship). Also, we were stopped because we had not filled out the return leg in the ArriveCan app, which seemed stupid because it was the following week. Arguing did no good. It was by far the worst experience I've ever had entering any country.

I think SFU did the right thing because trying to get busloads of US players by the Canadian Customs crew would be very difficult. It might be easier flying into Vancouver but also much more expensive. I won't be going on any more cruises out of Vancouver for the foreseeable future.
          Crossing the border has really changed from when I was in HS and crossed into Victoria with the band and didn't need to leave the bus (except on the ferry ride, but that wasn't customs). No passports were even required, same when I toured the UBC particle accelerator while at CWU and we accidentally transported alcohol across the border. Customs getting back when we mentioned touring a particle accelerator stopped us mid-sentence and told us to go through.

As for flying into Seattle and traveling to Blaine, once out of the Seattle traffic it is a very pretty drive. CWU and WOU bussed across the border though to play SFU without any reported issues and CWU is doing so again this season.

Comment

Bummer because they just remodeled and upgraded their stadium too. I am hearing complaints on social media as to why they didn't pick Civic Field in Bellingham instead, which is more suitable for college football games. Probably playing CWU in Canada since CWU requires all athletes to be vaccinated.

Comment

Originally posted by CWU Wildcat Nation View Post
              Bummer because they just remodeled and upgraded their stadium too. I am hearing complaints on social media as to why they didn't pick Civic Field in Bellingham instead, which is more suitable for college football games. Probably playing CWU in Canada since CWU requires all athletes to be vaccinated.
              Well, for Bellingham WWU might not want it there because it will mean people would try to use it to bring WWU football back. I'm sure Thor though might like it if it was there.

Comment

As someone that really loves the Greater Vancouver area and wishes great success to SFU, this makes me sad. Bad enough to only get two true home games, but only two games in your own country? Wow. What a world. I do like seeing the resumption of the Shrum Bowl though. Since it's at SFU I assume American rules?

Comment

Originally posted by MinnequaFats View Post
                  As someone that really loves the Greater Vancouver area and wishes great success to SFU, this makes me sad. Bad enough to only get two true home games, but only two games in your own country? Wow. What a world. I do like seeing the resumption of the Shrum Bowl though. Since it's at SFU I assume American rules?
                  Yes, the game will be played under NCAA rules and is recognized as a bowl game by the NCAA.

Comment

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is a POS he's the North American version of Xi Jinping. Although he does have the same hairdo that my Mom had in the early 1980's. So at least he's got that going on for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by the tav View Post
                      Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is a POS he's the North American version of Xi Jinping. Although he does have the same hairdo that my Mom had in the early 1980's. So at least he's got that going on for himself.
                      Careful. You will piss off the LSC liberal supporters like LSC Fan, HOGSVRR, and BuffaloChip. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Careful. You will piss off the LSC liberal supporters like LSC Fan, HOGSVRR, and BuffaloChip. ;)
                        Funny seeing two of those names based on the Off Topic forum.

Comment

Why aren't the games being played at Civic Stadium? I'm assuming they didn't want to drive 20 more miles South? Blaine High School for a small High School has a nice field.

Comment

Originally posted by the tav View Post
                            Why aren't the games being played at Civic Stadium? I'm assuming they didn't want to drive 20 more miles South? Blaine High School for a small High School has a nice field.
                            I'm guessing WWU is likely why. I tried to look up the stadium events schedule, but couldn't find one although if WWU uses it for soccer the GNAC has women's soccer games on Saturdays and they may conflict. For instance CWU plays at WWU on a matching date to the Western New Mexico game for SFU so if they use the stadium it wouldn't be available.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildcat Khan View Post

I'm guessing WWU is likely why. I tried to look up the stadium events schedule, but couldn't find one although if WWU uses it for soccer the GNAC has women's soccer games on Saturdays and they may conflict. For instance CWU plays at WWU on a matching date to the Western New Mexico game for SFU so if they use the stadium it wouldn't be available.
                              WWU doesn't play any soccer games at Civic Stadium. All WWU soccer games are played on campus on Harrington Field. Curious why City of Bellingham isn't making Civic Stadium available.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X