Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WT vs UTPB

This looked like a great game! I’m still in Europe so the timing didn’t work for me. Did Hughes take the week off? I see Gerber passed for 270 yards and Urias kicked 5 FGs including the game winner! Amazing. Even though it was against a marginal team, it was a good win.

Maybe next week they can run up the middle 90% of the time.

Exciting game topped off a great homecoming weekend. Terrific game day experience. Tailgate area was packed and Buffalo Stadium was near capacity with 9414 attendance.
    WT has cheerleaders too (23 by my count) and the Buffalo ran onto the field albeit dragging one of the herdsmen. VB also won 2 big matches.
    The win still doesn’t change my opinion that Hughes need to move on from WT.

Comment

Interesting play call by UTPB near the end of the game, calling a pass play on third and 4 when WT was out of time outs. UTPB used just 20 seconds on that three and out and WT got their chance to win it.

Gerber was huge too, doing just about everything.

Comment

Even though the Buffs (luckily) pulled this game out from the loss column, they still lost. Preseason pick as defensive MVP, JT Cavender, was rolled out on a stretcher. My bet is he broke something, an ankle or a leg. Then, not soon thereafter, DB playmaker Preston Steszewski, was helped off the field putting zero weight on a leg. Key defenders for the Buffs. Next man up.

We had a very nice Homecoming crowd, 9,414. There was discussion earlier this season about WT attendance. The only thing WT attendance lacks is a FB program that is a perennial play-off team. THAT program (if it looks to be stable and enduring) triggers stadium expansion to 12,000-14,000. It's up to the AD to determine whether Hughes can build THAT program or not and how long it should take. It seems to me that Angelo's Girsch has built THAT kind of program in half the time Hughes has, so far, not built THAT kind of program. I REALLY like Hughes personally. He's a neat guy to talk to. Definitely the kind of guy to sit down with and have a cold beer and shoot the sh!t with! I hope the Buffs will win out and somehow make the playoffs. For Hunter's sake as well as confirmation of all the hard work the players put in. But, business is business. Our AD will have an interesting time evaluating the FB program post-season.

Someone dissed the stadium at a recent last minute HS game. ??? Last night, the audio, video, and accoutrements of the stadium were flawless! Except for Thunder tossing a Hersdman to the ground as the young buffalo charged out of the tunnel! It reminded me of a game circa '89 or so when Thunder got loose and stampeded down the ACU side of the field sending players and coaches scrambling. That was funny as hell!!!
        Last edited by BuffaloChip; 10-02-2022, 09:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
          Even though the Buffs (luckily) pulled this game out from the loss column, they still lost. Preseason pick as defensive MVP, JT Cavender, was rolled out on a stretcher. My bet is he broke something, an ankle or a leg. Then, not soon thereafter, DB playmaker Preston Steszewski, was helped off the field putting zero weight on a leg. Key defenders for the Buffs. Next man up.

We had a very nice Homecoming crowd, 9,414. There was discussion earlier this season about WT attendance. The only thing WT attendance lacks is a FB program that is a perennial play-off team. THAT program (if it looks to be stable and enduring) triggers stadium expansion to 12,000-14,000. It's up to the AD to determine whether Hughes can build THAT program or not and how long it should take. It seems to me that Angelo's Girsch has built THAT kind of program in half the time Hughes has, so far, not built THAT kind of program. I REALLY like Hughes personally. He's a neat guy to talk to. Definitely the kind of guy to sit down with and have a cold beer and shoot the sh!t with! I hope the Buffs will win out and somehow make the playoffs. For Hunter's sake as well as confirmation of all the hard work the players put in. But, business is business. Our AD will have an interesting time evaluating the FB program post-season.

Someone dissed the stadium at a recent last minute HS game. ??? Last night, the audio, video, and accoutrements of the stadium were flawless! Except for Thunder tossing a Hersdman to the ground as the young buffalo charged out of the tunnel! It reminded me of a game circa '89 or so when Thunder got loose and stampeded down the ACU side of the field sending players and coaches scrambling. That was funny as hell!!!
          I believe Hughes is a good person, he’s just not a head coach. Wade Phillips is the same way though he will be Houston’s XFL head coach.

Comment

I like Hughes too but his time is up unless he wins out and makes the playoffs.

ASU, UTPB, and Kingsville have all caught up and for all intent and purposes past WT which for UTPB and Kingsville is unacceptable given UTPB barely existed and Kingsville was struggling to beat Monterrey Tech when Hughes took over.

It looks like someone got into the offensive coordinator's ear and he balanced out the attack with numerous different plays.

In a weird way it was a blessing when Urias missed the first field goal as it caused UTPB to just run clock to try to win the game.

We shall see if WT can continue the momentum and take down Midwestern State on the road next week.

Comment

Even though the Buffs (luckily) pulled this game out from the loss column, they still lost. Preseason pick as defensive MVP, JT Cavender, was rolled out on a stretcher. My bet is he broke something, an ankle or a leg. Then, not soon after that, DB playmaker Preston Steszewski was helped off the field putting zero weight on a leg. Key defenders for the Buffs. Next man up.

We had a very nice Homecoming crowd, 9,414. There was a discussion earlier this season about WT attendance. The only thing WT attendance lacks is a FB program that is a perennial playoff team. THAT program (if it looks to be stable and enduring) triggers stadium expansion to 12,000-14,000. It's up to the AD to determine whether Hughes can build THAT program or not and how long it should take. It seems to me that Angelo's Girsch has built THAT kind of program in half the time Hughes has, so far, not built THAT kind of program. I REALLY like Hughes personally. He's a neat guy to talk to. Definitely, the kind of guy to sit down with, have a cold beer, and shoot the sh!t with! I hope the Buffs will win out and somehow make the playoffs. For Hunter's sake and confirmation of all the hard work, the players put in. But, business is business. Our AD will have an interesting time evaluating the FB program post-season.

Someone dissed the stadium at a recent last-minute HS game. ??? Last night, the audio, video, and accouterments of the stadium were flawless! Except for Thunder tossing a Hersdman to the ground as the young buffalo charged out of the tunnel! It reminded me of a game circa '89 or so when Thunder got loose and stampeded down the ACU side of the field sending players and coaches scrambling. That was funny as hell!!!
              JT Cavender has a dislocated eldow, haven't heard any timeline for return.

Will the real Buffs please stand up?? We are 5 games into the season and still don't know who this team is.
              Are we the error-prone team that lost to an improved Kingsville??
              Or are we the team that shows heart and desire in the win over UTPB??

It may take a while for the team to stop thinking about the UTPB win and concentrate on MSU. IF that happens our season will be over.
              The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

JT Cavender has a dislocated eldow, haven't heard any timeline for return.

Will the real Buffs please stand up?? We are 5 games into the season and still don't know who this team is.
                Are we the error-prone team that lost to an improved Kingsville??
                Or are we the team that shows heart and desire in the win over UTPB??

It may take a while for the team to stop thinking about the UTPB win and concentrate on MSU. IF that happens our season will be over.
                Well, for sure a dislocated elbow is better than a broken ankle or leg. Someone next to me had binocs on Cavender and said it looked like an ankle. A dislocated elbow is most likely season-ending.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post
                  We shall see if WT can continue the momentum and take down Midwestern State on the road next week.
                  I would think BUFF win over MSU is likely. MSU is mostly interested in dirty hits and trying to get reaction out of the opponents. If WNM hadn't lost their cool a few times, they would have beat MSU worse. BUFFS must play smart.

Comment

Until they show me something different WT is average. They barely beat UTPB and lost to Kingsville. Even the Adams State win wasnt that impressive.

I thought the Western Colorado win was a good one but they have 2 losses and almost lost in double overtime last night.

Comment

I see WT finishing the season at best 7-4. A loss to CWU and either MSU, WNMU, or WO.

If our AD decides to make a change, an existing LSC coach, IMHO, would be an excellent choice to take over the reins smoothly and make improvements right away.
                      Last edited by BuffaloChip; 10-03-2022, 07:52 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X