Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by tsull View Post
    Western Oregon isn't going to win many games when the quarterback can never get to 50% passing and has more interceptions than touchdown passes. I know he tries hard, everybody tries hard, but his numbers are just horrific week after week. It's a pretty important position in college football and if you don't get it right you're going to lose.
    He seems to play better in the 4th quarter. He did last night and against WT.

The coaches should just tell him it's the 4th quarter all game! ;)

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

He seems to play better in the 4th quarter. He did last night and against WT.

The coaches should just tell him it's the 4th quarter all game! ;)
      He does seem to play well late in games. I've excused his sub-par play all year. The season's almost over and it's time to quit making rookie mistakes.

Comment

He does seem to play well late in games. I've excused his sub-par play all year. The season's almost over and it's time to quit making rookie mistakes.
        I understand. The fumble return for a TD by MSU and the missed FG also helped seal the loss.

Comment

Western Oregon isn't going to win many games when the quarterback can never get to 50% passing and has more interceptions than touchdown passes. I know he tries hard, everybody tries hard, but his numbers are just horrific week after week. It's a pretty important position in college football and if you don't get it right you're going to lose.
          Trust me, he’s very aware. Plenty of drops too. He completes his masters degree in the spring and will have to decide whether or not to play for his remaining two years of eligibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by SPWOU View Post

Trust me, he’s very aware. Plenty of drops too. He completes his masters degree in the spring and will have to decide whether or not to play for his remaining two years of eligibility.
            Thanks for the update, I hope he returns and improves. He's got the tools, big arm, big frame, just needs to put it together. Probably doesn't help that big receiver Wright hasn't played in awhile, not sure what happened there.

Comment

He’s playing like a first-year QB, but he may not have a reason to stay in school after this season, so we may not see if he can progress. Or maybe there’s PhD programs at WOU that he’s looking at?

Comment

• Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

He’s playing like a first-year QB, but he may not have a reason to stay in school after this season, so we may not see if he can progress. Or maybe there’s PhD programs at WOU that he’s looking at?
                WOU doesn't have Phd programs. He's probably gone. Impressive he got a bachelor's and Master's in 3 or so years, most likely came in with a lot of A.P. credits.

Physically one of the best-ever WOU QB's, huge arm and good athleticism. If he can get more accurate and clean up mistakes he'd be awesome. If he did do a doctoral program, he could play at the FCS level with some personal/off-season QB coaching, IMO. The athleticism and arm are not in question and you can't coach that.

Comment

WOU doesn't have Phd programs. He's probably gone. Impressive he got a bachelor's and Master's in 3 or so years, most likely came in with a lot of A.P. credits.

Physically one of the best-ever WOU QB's, huge arm and good athleticism. If he can get more accurate and clean up mistakes he'd be awesome. If he did do a doctoral program, he could play at the FCS level with some personal/off-season QB coaching, IMO. The athleticism and arm are not in question and you can't coach that.
                  I have no idea what Winker's future is, but I wish him well. Talking about PhDs and football, this is a good read. I barely remember the guy, but I do remember them referring to him as Dr. Johnson during games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Johnson

Comment

• Sounds like Winker is an impressive student maybe he can delay his Master's one term and play in the fall. Yes I've been a bit critical of him but he is by far the best quarterback on the roster there's actually a huge separation between him and everyone else. It's also nice to have high quality academic students in the program.

Comment

• Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I have no idea what Winker's future is, but I wish him well. Talking about PhDs and football, this is a good read. I barely remember the guy, but I do remember them referring to him as Dr. Johnson during games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charley_Johnson
                      Thanks for sharing, he's quite impressive.

Comment

• FYI-this week's recap should be up at 12 Eastern tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks for the update, I hope he returns and improves. He's got the tools, big arm, big frame, just needs to put it together. Probably doesn't help that big receiver Wright hasn't played in awhile, not sure what happened there.
                          Wright hurt his arm and was initially expected to be out for the rest of the season but fortunately came back sooner than expected.
                          I think some coaching might help Winker, the QB coach is the QB from two yrs ago and is a GA, so not a ton of experience. QB coach from last year is now OC at DIII Willamette in Salem, OR.

Comment

Did ‘Running Start’ from the summer after his Jr year of HS so he could graduate after 2 yrs + 1 qtr, the idea at the time was that he could then freely transfer as a grad x fee after his third season. This planning began prior to having the ability to transfer without having to sit out a year. Then the transfer rule changed and a COVID yr. So, he’ll have his masters degree after 4 yrs. This group of student that had COVID interruption will be very well educated if nothing else. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

No PhD program yet at WOU but they’re in the process of adding some, not sure if the programs are fields he’s interested in. He could get another BA or masters at WOU or walk on to a DI and get an MBA from a high academic school. Coach said not to worry about eligibility, he would see to it that he’s eligible if he wants to keep playing at WOU.

Comment

Wright hurt his arm and was initially expected to be out for the rest of the season but fortunately came back sooner than expected.
                                I think some coaching might help Winker, the QB coach is the QB from two yrs ago and is a GA, so not a ton of experience. QB coach from last year is now OC at DIII Willamette in Salem, OR.
                                I'd like to see Winker return because his upside is tremendous. Of course he's done a ton academically already -- good grief that's impressive, I had to grind away to get my bachelor's. I was thinking about the QB coaching on what's going on. He has the best combo of frame/arm strength I've seen at WOU. I'd like to see him shine at WOU, but would understand if he left. If he does leave, WOU might have to scramble to fill the QB spot, unless the guys further down the depth chart have potential.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X