Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What’s next? (For those whose season is over)

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What’s next? (For those whose season is over)

So, now that the season is over for most of us, what’s up next?
    If a school were to drop football for 2023 it seems they would do so within the next few weeks based on what has been done in the past by other schools. Sure hope this doesn’t happen but the financial reality for the ‘affiliate members’ of the LSC appears to be daunting from a financial perspective looking at the publicly available data (at least for WOU). Does anyone have any informed insights?
    When can we expect to see a 2023 conference schedule? I believe it was released in late Feb for this season but was possibly impacted by COVID or adding the thre GNAC teams.

What's next? WOMEN'S TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY sports!! WBB, SB.

Then we start discussing football again.

Comment

I'd like to see CWU get that 11th game this coming season. They should have played EWU this year. Those guys stunk it up, so CWU would have had a chance against them.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

Thought this was a FB site and board. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by IronOre View Post
          I'd like to see CWU get that 11th game this coming season. They should have played EWU this year. Those guys stunk it up, so CWU would have had a chance against them.
          I have been thinking the same thing for WOU. Could be a good matchup while also keeping the travel cost down.

Comment

Originally posted by SPWOU View Post

It is but the other sports forums are basically dead. I’m looking forward to softball but don’t really care about the other sports. Since 2013 it’s been challenging to be interested in WT football. I refused to watch the NAIA opponents games plus North American but those are the kind of teams that have given Hughes and his predecessor “winning” records.

Comment

THANK YOU! Me too!

There are forums for the other sports, but since no one cares, posts on there receive little if any attention.

So, we are FORCE FEED crap about WT women's sports. You'll see.

I even tried reverse psychology and started posting about ASU baseball one season hoping to piss off enough people and drive the message home. I failed.

So, if you can't beat 'em.........
              Last edited by ASUPops; 11-18-2022, 07:41 PM.

Comment

THANK YOU! Me too!

There are forums for the other sports, but since no one cares, posts on there receive little if any attention.

So, we are FORCE FED crap about WT women's sports. You'll see.

I even tried reverse psychology and started posting about ASU baseball one season hoping to piss off enough people and drive the message home. I failed.

The threads you don’t like are almost always titled basketball, softball, etc. No one is forced to read those posts. I usually don’t visit them myself except for softball.

Comment

To be fair, the attendance at WT women’s basketball and volleyball exceeds football attendance at a number of LSC schools.

Comment

THANK YOU! Me too!

Force fed? Someone is making you click on the link?

Comment

THANK YOU! Me too!

Immortal words from the past: "just relax and enjoy it!"

Comment

So, now that the season is over for most of us, what’s up next?
                        If a school were to drop football for 2023 it seems they would do so within the next few weeks based on what has been done in the past by other schools. Sure hope this doesn’t happen but the financial reality for the ‘affiliate members’ of the LSC appears to be daunting from a financial perspective looking at the publicly available data (at least for WOU). Does anyone have any informed insights?
                        When can we expect to see a 2023 conference schedule? I believe it was released in late Feb for this season but was possibly impacted by COVID or adding the thre GNAC teams.
                        I haven't heard this from WOU. I know the last several -- if not all -- athletic directors would rather get a root canal than go out and raise money. Cutting football would go over like a lead balloon at the school. There's a lot of loyal alums in the area who would not be happy. If the problem is the travel budget, the A.D. needs to actually work and raise more money for travel. But I've discovered that whether an A.D. is good or bad at the small college level, they will keep their jobs. There is zero pressure. I don't know if the current WOU A.D. is good or bad. I know we've had 5 or 6 in 10 years, same with college presidents. The vetting of A.D. candidates has been disastrous -- dude from Texas who stayed one year, dude from Alabama who stayed two years, former Portland State person who just wanted to retire, etc. They need to find someone who cares about the school and pushes things forward instead of being quiet. Two presidents have done this in the last several decades.

A better option than dropping football would be to go D2 independent. WOU has played in 3 NAIA post seasons and 1 D2 bowl game in the last 50 years. It's not like we'd be missing out on some playoff run. Play CWU, SFU, EOU, SOU, Lincoln, Simpson (CA), two FCS, two LSC, and call it day. Collect your dough from the FCS games. That's better than not having football, but literally I don't think the WOU admin could pull this off. They're too busy looking for their next job.

Comment

Originally posted by tsull View Post
                          A better option than dropping football would be to go D2 independent. WOU has played in 3 NAIA post seasons and 1 D2 bowl game in the last 50 years. It's not like we'd be missing out on some playoff run. Play CWU, SFU, EOU, SOU, Lincoln, Simpson (CA), two FCS, two LSC, and call it day. Collect your dough from the FCS games. That's better than not having football, but literally I don't think the WOU admin could pull this off. They're too busy looking for their next job.
                          Independent is a non-starter these days. I have the 1998-2003 New Haven seasons to go back on - they were independent and even with playing a bunch of D1's (sometimes even 4 D1's in a season!) on their schedule, they had no money because they didn't have anyone committed to fundraising, and then they dropped the sport for 5 years. And that was with 4 playoff appearances and a NC game appearance between 1992-1997. Wasn't until a new president came in (and a league let them do it) that they brought it back - 5 playoff appearances in 13 seasons isn't too bad. And this is in New England, where football isn't exactly at Texas-high level of importance.

Better to have to book a few flights to Texas than to have nothing - it honestly should be a positive selling point and not a negative. I think the PNW schools did quite well for themselves against the LSC (well, maybe not SFU as much), but the overall commitment has to be there. If it's too much, then it's too much, but it needs to be a full effort from the president on down. It's the same thing ASUPops has been saying about ASU hiring Girsch - the commitment has to be there at all levels.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

Independent is a non-starter these days. I have the 1998-2003 New Haven seasons to go back on - they were independent and even with playing a bunch of D1's (sometimes even 4 D1's in a season!) on their schedule, they had no money because they didn't have anyone committed to fundraising, and then they dropped the sport for 5 years. And that was with 4 playoff appearances and a NC game appearance between 1992-1997. Wasn't until a new president came in (and a league let them do it) that they brought it back - 5 playoff appearances in 13 seasons isn't too bad. And this is in New England, where football isn't exactly at Texas-high level of importance.

Better to have to book a few flights to Texas than to have nothing - it honestly should be a positive selling point and not a negative. I think the PNW schools did quite well for themselves against the LSC (well, maybe not SFU as much), but the overall commitment has to be there. If it's too much, then it's too much, but it needs to be a full effort from the president on down. It's the same thing ASUPops has been saying about ASU hiring Girsch - the commitment has to be there at all levels.
                            SFU routed a D2 team. They're probably ecstatic.

Comment

Originally posted by cwfenn View Post

Disagree that it's a non-starter. Keeping football at the school even as an indy is better than dropping it. CWU made it to the playoffs I think twice as an independent. The entire issue is the booking of flights and not being able to afford it, that's 100% it. It's not a negative selling point, it's ALL the money that costs to go there. I don't think you get this from WOU's point of view and the costs of playing football in Texas. It has nothing to do with the league or the competition. We have a very small donor base, a tiny stadium, 5 presidents in 10 years, 5 A.D.'s in 10 years -- none committed to fund raising. Expecting them to pick up the ball is unrealistic. I agree on the commitment -- it's not there from the top down.

The easier option -- again, this is NOT the east coast, it is NOT Texas -- is to be a regional, independent D2 program. I would advocate staying in the LSC. If that's not possible, I fully support keeping football instead of taking the coward's way out and dropping the sport.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X