Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UTPB FOOTBALL HAS SOMETHING SPECIAL BREWING

This is a unique approach I have yet to see in the LSC. I think it may very well turn out to be something special.

https://www.newswest9.com/amp/articl...1-e47882128521

If this class winds up competing for a LSC Championship in the near future, I can see other LSC teams copycating.

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post
    This is a unique approach I have yet to see in the LSC. I think it may very well turn out to be something special.

https://www.newswest9.com/amp/articl...1-e47882128521

If this class winds up competing for a LSC Championship in the near future, I can see other LSC teams copycating.
    It seems like a no brainer.

Even Gene Mayfield won at Permian.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

It seems like a no brainer.

Even Gene Mayfield won at Permian.
      Good, because he dang sure didn't win at WT.

Comment

Was local talent not recruited at UTPB before this?

Comment

I'm enough to remember with the Permian Basin area was a hot recruiting ground. When MOJO was the standard and was able to compete and beat the DFW area powers

Comment

No, UTPB hasn't recruited locally very well at all over the last 3-4 years. UTPB got some good local talent. They will have to mix it in with transfers and DFW kids to have a chance in the LSC though. Coach Mccollough is doing a solid job so far.

Comment

Originally posted by UTPBFalcons1 View Post
              No, UTPB hasn't recruited locally very well at all over the last 3-4 years. UTPB got some good local talent. They will have to mix it in with transfers and DFW kids to have a chance in the LSC though. Coach Mccollough is doing a solid job so far.
              Most Texas LSC schools don't recruit their own area well.

I am interested to see what level of success Coach Mac has.

Comment

Most Texas LSC schools don't recruit their own area well.

I am interested to see what level of success Coach Mac has.
                Recruits in the panhandle for WT would be few and far between after Texas Tech gets the first shot at them.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Recruits in the panhandle for WT would be few and far between after Texas Tech gets the first shot at them.
                  It seems like the Panhandle has 5 or 6 legit D1's every year. There are always 9 or 10 who sign D2. Of those MAYBE 2 or 3 eventually pan out and make it to year 3 and some decent playing time. Seldom do we see an impact D2 kid from the Panhandle. I'm sure there are some on here who can name a few in the past 10 years, but none jump out to me.

Comment

Originally posted by LSC Fan View Post
                    I'm enough to remember with the Permian Basin area was a hot recruiting ground. When MOJO was the standard and was able to compete and beat the DFW area powers
                    And, Odessa Permian won state championships when there was only one big school state champion not the watered down two version now. That was one of the greatest runs in Texas High School football in the Eighties.

The movie was flawed. Permian lost that year (1988) in Austin to Carter and didn't make it to the state championship game. Carter beat some really good teams including Marshall, Texas and Converse Judson for the state title although they were later stripped. They knew going into the Marshall game they were going to be disqualified. Carter got a lot of calls that went their way and escaped with 21-18 win over Marshall if I remember correctly watching that game. Carter also caught a huge break against Permian in the second half when the refs called a completed pass that clearly bounced off the turf that led to the go ahead score for Carter. In the officials defense it was cold and there was a driving rain that made vision difficult in that game. Southworst Conference officials for that game didn't help. LOL. Judson wasn't the challenge Marshall and Permian was. I am always left to wonder who would have been the real champion that year Marshall or Permian.

Comment

I have read nothing but positive about the new HC at UTPB. I am sure that the rest of the conference is taking notes.

Comment

Negative! Tech only signed one player, this year, from anywhere near Canyon or Amarillo. A RB from Claredon.

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

And, Odessa Permian won state championships when there was only one big school state champion not the watered down two version now. That was one of the greatest runs in Texas High School football in the Eighties.

The movie was flawed. Permian lost that year (1988) in Austin to Carter and didn't make it to the state championship game. Carter beat some really good teams including Marshall, Texas and Converse Judson for the state title although they were later stripped. They knew going into the Marshall game they were going to be disqualified. Carter got a lot of calls that went their way and escaped with 21-18 win over Marshall if I remember correctly watching that game. Carter also caught a huge break against Permian in the second half when the refs called a completed pass that clearly bounced off the turf that led to the go ahead score for Carter. In the officials defense it was cold and there was a driving rain that made vision difficult in that game. Southworst Conference officials for that game didn't help. LOL. Judson wasn't the challenge Marshall and Permian was. I am always left to wonder who would have been the real champion that year Marshall or Permian.
                          Yeah the movie was inaccurate in a lot of places especially with the Texas high school playoff bracket.

Their first playoff game was against Amarillo Tascosa. Tascosa went ahead 7-0 on a muffed punt. They were only down 14-10 at halftime and Permian pulled away. They also had them beating Amarillo HIgh like in the quarterfinal round when they didn't even make the playoffs.

Comment

Negative! Tech only signed one player, this year, from anywhere near Canyon or Amarillo. A RB from Claredon.
                            My point being that most of the time WT isn't the first place a kid from the Amarillo area looks at when playing college ball and Amarillo schools aren't likely the first place WT looks when they recruit.

Comment

My point being that most of the time WT isn't the first place a kid from the Amarillo area looks at when playing college ball and Amarillo schools aren't likely the first place WT looks when they recruit.
                              Neither is Tech! But, there isn't much football talent these days in the Panhandle. If you remember correctly, when the Panhandle had talent was when the oil boom was going on. Same can be said about Permian. That is why they haven't sniffed a state title in years. Demographics have changed and people move to where opportunity is. Once storied programs are only left with yesteryear.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X