Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2024 WT Football Schedule

Thought I would start some discussion about the WT football schedule.

Hey they have 11 D2 games this year!

First game with Sul Ross should be a good game to get all the kinks out and win comfortably.

Anything less or a loss will have the alarm bells ringing throughout Canyon.

The first 5 games should post a minimum record of 3-2 if WT is progressing the way we think they are.

Less than that and the season is over before October.

Best scenario: 8-3
    Realistic: 6-5
    Worst scenario: 3-8
    Attached Files

If the team gets 1/3 better that would mean 4 wins.

I actually came up with that number separately. We have never beaten WOU, even though we should have so I will take them. I see wins against Sul Ross, Western Colorado, Western New Mexico, and probably Midwestern. Likely losses will be against CSM, CWU, UTPB, Angelo and probably Kingsville..

When you stated "progressing the way we think they are", can you recall specifically what you saw last season that pointed to ANY improvement? I'm glad the team likes the new coaches, but that's about all I can think of. Losing 2 close games impacted the team more than it should have, and basically flushed the rest of the season. That's on the coaches.

I am looking forward to Chip's always optimistic reviews of practices and the Spring game. Maybe things will gel in practice this Spring, after a late start last year.

I'm embarrassed to admit last year I predicted 7 wins. My thinking was ANYONE would be an improvement over Hughes. Not so far. Yes it was just his first season, but it was also the UTPB coach's first season.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post
      If the team gets 1/3 better that would mean 4 wins.

I actually came up with that number separately. We have never beaten WOU, even though we should have so I will take them. I see wins against Sul Ross, Western Colorado, Western New Mexico, and probably Midwestern. Likely losses will be against CSM, CWU, UTPB, Angelo and probably Kingsville..

When you stated "progressing the way we think they are", can you recall specifically what you saw last season that pointed to ANY improvement? I'm glad the team likes the new coaches, but that's about all I can think of. Losing 2 close games impacted the team more than it should have, and basically flushed the rest of the season. That's on the coaches.

I am looking forward to Chip's always optimistic reviews of practices and the Spring game. Maybe things will gel in practice this Spring, after a late start last year.

I'm embarrassed to admit last year I predicted 7 wins. My thinking was ANYONE would be an improvement over Hughes. Not so far. Yes it was just his first season, but it was also the UTPB coach's first season.
      UTPB had a huge advantage with an experienced QB.

Hopefully the days of 6+ year players are gone since we are getting 4+ years away from COVID.

I am going by Lynn's past record of turning programs around.

WT was Hughes first coaching job so he didnt have a track record.

I personally think they should win every home game and yes well aware that they play UTPB and Central Washington at home.

They thrashed Central Washington at home in 2022 and also beat UTPB and Western Colorado.

UTPB should come back to the pack a bit with the change at QB.

If WT can win that close game then I think things will start to change.

I think 7-4 is acceptable progress and if WT goes into that ASU game with something to play for then that would be outstanding.

If WT enters October already out of the playoff chase then I get a little concerned about the "progress".

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

UTPB had a huge advantage with an experienced QB.

Hopefully the days of 6+ year players are gone since we are getting 4+ years away from COVID.

I am going by Lynn's past record of turning programs around.

WT was Hughes first coaching job so he didnt have a track record.

I personally think they should win every home game and yes well aware that they play UTPB and Central Washington at home.

They thrashed Central Washington at home in 2022 and also beat UTPB and Western Colorado.

UTPB should come back to the pack a bit with the change at QB.

If WT can win that close game then I think things will start to change.

I think 7-4 is acceptable progress and if WT goes into that ASU game with something to play for then that would be outstanding.

If WT enters October already out of the playoff chase then I get a little concerned about the "progress".
        Kenny Hrncir iscreturning to UTPB as QB coach.

They are LOADED at QB!!

D1 Transfer from UTSA Suddin Sapien is a beast!! Accurate, got a gun, and great dual threat runner. I think this is his final year at UTPB

NEW D1 Transfer from Kansas Kai Kunz. He has a CANON and runs like a top RB. Very exciting player.

They recruited 4 other QBs and have 3 more already on the roster, including Keegan Byrd. What an explosive player. He played a few snaps last year. His 1st two plays were for TDs, 1 passing and one rushing.

I have ZERO concerns about QB plsy at UTPB.

Comment

Originally posted by WT_TKW View Post

I am looking forward to Chip's always optimistic reviews of practices and the Spring game.
          Yes, I'm sure you are.

Comment

Several MIAA schools were after Kunz out of Juco.

Comment

Originally posted by ASUPops View Post

They are LOADED at QB!!

D1 Transfer from UTSA Suddin Sapien is a beast!! Accurate, got a gun, and great dual threat runner. I think this is his final year at UTPB

NEW D1 Transfer from Kansas Kai Kunz. He has a CANON and runs like a top RB. Very exciting player.

They recruited 4 other QBs and have 3 more already on the roster, including Keegan Byrd. What an explosive player. He played a few snaps last year. His 1st two plays were for TDs, 1 passing and one rushing.

Do you think they might put a team deep in the playoffs in the next few years if the coaching staff sticks around?

They seem like they're on that trajectory to me.

Comment

They are LOADED at QB!!

Am I understanding this correctly that they have nine QBs?

Comment

Originally posted by SPWOU View Post

Unless some transfer before next season, yes. However, I am not sure is Sapien will be eligible, but I think he is.

Comment

Originally posted by predatory primates View Post

do you think they might put a team deep in the playoffs in the next few years if the coaching staff sticks around?

They seem like they're on that trajectory to me.
                    absolutely.

Comment

Unless some transfer before next season, yes. However, I am not sure is Sapien will be eligible, but I think he is.
                      I don’t see this as sustainable. If these guys are that good they aren’t going settle for sitting on the bench and potentially never playing.

Comment

I don’t see this as sustainable. If these guys are that good they aren’t going settle for sitting on the bench and potentially never playing.
                        Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

As soon as they name a starter probably 3/4 of those guys minus the freshmen are going to hop back into that portal.

Comment

Well...it matters what their goal is. Surely not the NFL. So, maybe it was getting college paid for. And evidently, UTPB has figured out how to get top guys by paying for their school and possibly NIL deals.

Who was the last DII QB to start in the NFL? Tyson Bagent, DII's best QB and 2021 Harlon Hill winner. Then you have Kitna, Null, and Bouman. That's it in the past 22 years!!

With that said, I believe it's more about the education for these guys.

I was just advised that there will be 7 QBs in Fall camp. 3 competing for the starting job.Sapien is not returning.

Comment

Actually was just told 7 will be in Fall camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Yeah I was thinking the same thing.

As soon as they name a starter probably 3/4 of those guys minus the freshmen are going to hop back into that portal.
                              You can only enter once without a penalty.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X