Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I have too much going on to see how many FBS schools Tarleton has played.

I know they got obliterated by an average Tech team.

It might be just my ignorant and naive mind working but I think there is more opportunity at the FCS level due to the fact that you get some sort of financial compensation for making the NCAA tournament especially in basketball which would be very doable to do in the Southland.

ACU parlayed that well beating Texas in the first round a few years ago.

Simply put the most of the old school WT guard foams at the mouth seeing Sul Ross and possibly the other D3 remnants being added to the LSC.

The new generation coming to WT knows very little to nothing of the more successful WT football days to probably care hence the weak attendance and interest at football games.

The window closed to get Wendler out at WT and now he will get to choose an AD with his vision so WT is probably toast with D2 as a ceiling and a possible move lower if possible.

NCAA March Madness revenues are paid to the conference, which divides the money as they see fit between all the schools. The larger financial opportunity at FSC is in the form of the guarantee games with FBS schools. Football guarantee games are in the $500,000 to $1.5 mil neighborhood, Mens BB are $80,000 to low 6 figures, and WBB games net $25,000 to 40,000. Commerce probably generated around $1.5 - 2 million last season in guarantee money.
    Last edited by JakeTAMUC; 05-02-2024, 08:45 AM.

Comment

The window closed to get Wendler out at WT and now he will get to choose an AD with his vision so WT is probably toast with D2 as a ceiling and a possible move lower if possible.
      Bingo. McBroom was tired of fighting it. I'll be doing flips just to stay D2 and keep all of our sports. This is a pivotal moment in WT's history, and Wendler has his hands all over it. If all of the D1 wannabes think things can't get worse, think again.

Comment

Originally posted by SPOLOVILO4EVER View Post
        The WAC just lost UT=Rio Grande Valley to the Southland ( They could not be competitive in WAC) and will probably go after WT and Angelo State. If your smart you will jump at the chance. It is a lot better being in D1 than D2. I can watch all the Tarleton football and Basketball games on ESPN+. The WAC is a good league and offers a lot of exposure that you otherwise do not have in D2. It is also way more fun to play Gonzaga, Baylor, Boston College ( we beat BC! ) etc... than games against WNMU and the like.
        I agree with you , I live in Phoenix area now and see Grand Canyon U playing in WAC now against some former LSC schools. Grand Canyon made the NCAA playoffs last two year, this year Tarleton almost won the WAC. I could see WT being competitive in the WAC much better than watching Sul Ross and some of these other schools we will be playing.

Comment

Originally posted by SPOLOVILO4EVER View Post
          #1 The WAC does not sponsor football since we do not have 6 schools that play football, with SFA we would have 5 ( Tarleton, ACU, SFA, S Utah, and Utah Tech ( formally Dixie State) that is why they are trying to get more football playing schools, and even if we did it would be at the FCS level not FBS, at least for now. The football schools in the WAC play under the UAC ( United Athletic Conference) made up of football schools from the WAC and ASUN. #2 The WCC does NOT want GCU ( with or without Gonzaga) because they are a for profit school and the WCC is proud of their academic standings. Seattle on the other hand would be in if Gonzaga left and POSSIBLY Cal Baptist as well, but the WCC will not sell their academic soul and let GCU in to the league.
          GCU has talking about starting Football, and building an on campus stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseLodge View Post

Bingo. McBroom was tired of fighting it. I'll be doing flips just to stay D2 and keep all of our sports. This is a pivotal moment in WT's history, and Wendler has his hands all over it. If all of the D1 wannabes think things can't get worse, think again.
            How has Wendler lasted this long. Time for a change.

Comment

Interesting articles about Wendler. I did not want to subscribe to read the rest of the second one.

https://chancellor.siu.edu/hall-of-c...rs/wendler.php
              https://www.chronicle.com/article/so...-office-early/
              https://www.amarillo.com/story/news/...y/13078353007/

Comment

Fair points.

Like others are saying its hard to get psyched up about playing Sul Ross, Wayland Baptist, Blinn College, etc. or whoever else they bring in the conference that are super small school.

Its frustrating to continue to see WT be involved in shrinking from playing Oklahoma State on the road in 1980 and winning to suiting up to play in Canada a few years ago and Alpine, Texas.
                I listened to that WT Okla St game in 1980 Warren Hassey did play by play. What a game. and OSU first game under new Coach Jimmy Johnson of future Dallas Cowboy fame. Buffs didnt have a great season that year for they lost to McNeese St the week before but Coach Yung had them fired up for this one and won 21 to 20. The following year was good as well, won 8 games including Las Vegas. In 77 78 season my Sr yr Buffs tied a very strong Colo St team in Buffalo Bowl. Was a day game on a Saturday , Buffs had a future NFL running back.. CSU game out and was poking fun at the Buffs not so large crowd.. Buffs gave them all they could handle.. tied 21 to 21. CSU finished 8-2-1 and WT finished 5-5-1. Coach Yung was a good coach unfortunately went on to Texas ElPaso,, not a good move in my eyes. He sch some good non conference games for Buffs, U of Houston, Baylor, Miss St, Las Vegas to name a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffan78 View Post

I listened to that WT Okla St game in 1980 Warren Hassey did play by play. What a game. and OSU first game under new Coach Jimmy Johnson of future Dallas Cowboy fame. Buffs didnt have a great season that year for they lost to McNeese St the week before but Coach Yung had them fired up for this one and won 21 to 20. The following year was good as well, won 8 games including Las Vegas. In 77 78 season my Sr yr Buffs tied a very strong Colo St team in Buffalo Bowl. Was a day game on a Saturday , Buffs had a future NFL running back.. CSU game out and was poking fun at the Buffs not so large crowd.. Buffs gave them all they could handle.. tied 21 to 21. CSU finished 8-2-1 and WT finished 5-5-1. Coach Yung was a good coach unfortunately went on to Texas ElPaso,, not a good move in my eyes. He sch some good non conference games for Buffs, U of Houston, Baylor, Miss St, Las Vegas to name a few.
                  I agree Yung was a very good coach, better than his record showed. He had to clean up the train wreck left by Gene Mayfield.

I went to the game where WT played U of Houston in the Astrodome. I saw a lot of familiar faces as fans followed the team to Houston. It was a blowout win for U of H but I still enjoyed seeing the Buffs and their fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffan78 View Post

I was at that game. It was fun to watch Jimmy Jones on an Oklahoma City sports cast that night. He was so pissed spittle was nearly dripping from his chin. We were about 30 rows up from the field at the visitor 40 yard-line. The next day in the Daily Oklahoman I read that temps on the field were 114. It wasn't much cooler in the stands. Whew!

Defense played great. RB Bo Robinson had a terrific day!

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

I was at that game. It was fun to watch Jimmy Jones on an Oklahoma City sports cast that night. He was so pissed spittle was nearly dripping from his chin. We were about 30 rows up from the field at the visitor 40 yard-line. The next day in the Daily Oklahoman I read that temps on the field were 114. It wasn't much cooler in the stands. Whew!

Defense played great. RB Bo Robinson had a terrific day!
                      Thompson Mayberry made the game saving tackle for WT. OSU needed a two-point conversion to win the game. Thompson made the tackle. Another Amarilloan, Mark Tidwell, caught a touchdown pass in the game. Big day for WT for sure.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X