Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WT's Athletic Director Taking Position at Stephen F. Austin

I just saw on X as reported by Lance Lahnert that Michael McBroom is leaving WT to be the AD for Stephen F. Austin.

Originally posted by Roaming Buff View Post
    I just saw on X as reported by Lance Lahnert that Michael McBroom is leaving WT to be the AD for Stephen F. Austin.
    Didn't see that one coming.

That should be interesting being reunited with Colby Carthel,

Indifferent toward McBroom but really want to see Wendler shown the exit.

Comment

West Texas A&M AD headed to SFA (texasfootball.com)

Comment

I'm very glad McBroom is leaving. I hope we get a football friendly AD, maybe we should interview the one at UTPB, at least he knows how to hire a good football coach.

I think Colby got along better with McBroom than Don did. However there are no comments in Colby's Twitter feed about the hire.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

Didn't see that one coming.

That should be interesting being reunited with Colby Carthel,

Indifferent toward McBroom but really want to see Wendler shown the exit.
          I can't imagine anyone hiring Wendler.

Comment

I believe McB got tired of struggling with the finance guy at WT and the indifference the President has toward sports. The budget kept shrinking due to inflation. On the other hand, there are 450 students enrolled as athlete wannabes. Subtract out @130 scholarships and WT has 330 students paying $20,000 plus a year------because of athletics. That's close to a $7,000,000 PLUS contribution to the WT budget. That doesn't include kids at WT for sports training, marching band, cheer squad, audio-visual, etc, etc.

So, budgets are stagnant or being trimmed, and........at the very same time the AD (and coaches) are under immense pressure from the finance dick to encourage more kids to try for WT sports all the while knowing none of them will ever see the playing field. 200 showing up for football....that kind of nonsense.

And the President doesn't give a sh!t as he's obstinately playing out his time. And why wouldn't he for near $300,000 plus a house and great bennies. I believe the AD has tried to educate him about athletics with little to no effect.

I'm surprised McB has stayed as long as he has. As far as his record as an Administrator when you look at the whole picture, his tenure has been outstanding. FB has lagged, but the overall athletic program is superb.

WT will do a lot worse. Look for the next AD to be a compliant toady to the finance dictator. When he's told to eat sh!t, instead of fighting the internal administrative battle for his sports programs, he'll ask if he can have seconds. Look for great coaches to leave if something a little better comes along.....like Mook or Brown. McB made promises to Lynn about funding and focus. The finance guy (the real WT prez) has reneged on many of them already. I feel for Lynn.
            Last edited by BuffaloChip; 04-25-2024, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post
              I believe McB got tired of struggling with the finance guy at WT and the indifference the President has toward sports. The budget kept shrinking due to inflation. On the other hand, there are 450 students enrolled as athlete wannabes. Subtract out @130 scholarships and WT has 330 students paying $20,000 plus a year------because of athletics. That's close to a $7,000,000 PLUS contribution to the WT budget. That doesn't include kids at WT for sports training, marching band, cheer squad, audio-visual, etc, etc.

So, budgets are stagnant or being trimmed, and........at the very same time the AD (and coaches) are under immense pressure from the finance dick to encourage more kids to try for WT sports all the while knowing none of them will ever see the playing field. 200 showing up for football....that kind of nonsense.

And the President doesn't give a sh!t as he's obstinately playing out his time. And why wouldn't he for near $300,000 plus a house and great bennies. I believe the AD has tried to educate him about athletics with little to no effect.

I'm surprised McB has stayed as long as he has. As far as his record as an Administrator when you look at the whole picture, his tenure has been outstanding. FB has lagged, but the overall athletic program is superb.

WT will do a lot worse. Look for the next AD to be a compliant toady to the finance dictator. When he's told to eat sh!t, instead of fighting the internal administrative battle for his sports programs, he'll ask if he can have seconds. Look for great coaches to leave if something a little better comes along.....like Mook or Brown. McB made promises to Lynn about funding and focus. The finance guy (the real WT prez) has reneged on many of them already. I feel for Lynn.
              There are some former administrative staff and coaches that would be good fits. Maybe Wt will get one of them.
              The Great White Buffalo has Returned

Comment

Everyone is getting ready to find out how good WT had it with McBroom. Wendler and his prize CFO will finally have their way unfettered with the athletic budget. They've been itching to get their hands in the cookie jar for years, and now they've got the whole jar. Unless something truly bizarre happens, the Golden Age of WT athletics has ended.

And what a run it was!
                Last edited by MooseLodge; 04-25-2024, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Who is the CFO at WT

Comment

It's hard to imagine that Colby feels good about this situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Buff Fan 05 View Post
                      Who is the CFO at WT
                      Randy Rikel

Comment

Then, again, I had a conversation with a knowledgeable person who stated the following: the next WT AD will be tasked with transitioning WT to D1. Sharp, Chancellor of the A&M system, has stated he wants all viable system school to be D1.

Comment

Randy Rikel
                          Why is he such an ass I wonder? He has children that are college athletes and would be an athletic department proponent you'd think.

Comment

Then, again, I had a conversation with a knowledgeable person who stated the following: the next WT AD will be tasked with transitioning WT to D1. Sharp, Chancellor of the A&M system, has stated he wants all viable system school to be D1.
                            Hard to imagine that dynamic with Wendler in charge and advocating for underclassmen to go the junior college route first.

Comment

Originally posted by Great White Buffalo View Post

There are some former administrative staff and coaches that would be good fits. Maybe Wt will get one of them.
                              Does McBroom have a right hand that could transition in or will it be likely an outside hire?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X