Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post

This comment reminds me of a time when I went hunting n fishing with ASUpops.
    Are you saying HuntnFish is Pops?

Comment

Originally posted by Techster88 View Post

Are you saying HuntnFish is Pops?
      That is my theory.

Comment

Looks like WT has named an interim AD. Thoughts?

Mayberry Named the Interim Director of Athletics at West Texas A&M - West Texas A&M University Athletics (gobuffsgo.com)

Comment

Mayberry is a good pick. He is a true Buff having played FB and received his BS at WT. I just hope he can stand up to Wendler

Comment

Thompson isn't seeking permanent AD. He will be the AD for three months, tops.

Comment

Originally posted by MooseLodge View Post
              Thompson isn't seeking permanent AD. He will be the AD for three months, tops.
              I like his biography. I like that he’s a Buff and played during the D1 years. Maybe he can lead us back to D1 and unite the fans.

Comment

I like his biography. I like that he’s a Buff and played during the D1 years. Maybe he can lead us back to D1 and unite the fans.
                Yeah he's not in the running for AD. He's just the interim. Thompson is nearing retirement age, himself.

Comment

You could have Chris Del Conte as the athletic director. If Wendler doesnt want D1 its not going to happen.

Comment

After reading about the hiring process it appears that the decision is going to be made by the hiring committee comprised of coaches and not the university president. This is a positive thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post
                      After reading about the hiring process it appears that the decision is going to be made by the hiring committee comprised of coaches and not the university president. This is a positive thing.
                      Pretty sure he will make the call, but I am very glad that he is involving the coaches. Smart move on his part. I am guessing that he will go with who the committee wants. He has zero upside going against the committee. If he goes maverick and things then go any bit sideways, he's sunk. He's smart enough to know that. Committees act as a human shield for a CEO already under some level of scrutiny. I normally don't like committee hires. Often, committees don't necessarily hire the "right" candidate, but rather the candidate that everyone on the committee can mostly agree on and live with.

In this case, a committee hire is safer than a Wendler hire for sure. I actually think Wendler is a smart dude and brings a lot of positives to the table at a university, but my goodness has he made some blunders.
                      Last edited by MooseLodge; 05-16-2024, 01:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rockofwesties View Post
                        BB's Tom Brown and FB's Josh Lynn are on the committee. Good news.

Comment

• Originally posted by BuffaloChip View Post

BB's Tom Brown and FB's Josh Lynn are on the committee. Good news.
                          Would have preferred Jeff Lynne.

Comment

• Originally posted by MooseLodge View Post

I actually think Wendler is a smart dude and brings a lot of positives to the table at a university, but my goodness has he made some blunders.
                            I would love to hear the positives.

I think at some point he has pissed off damn near every person in every different aspect of life.

If a university like WT is shrinking in enrollment and cash the last thing you want to do is tell freshman to check out Amarillo or Clarendon College for two years.

Thats like BuffaloChip telling customers to check out JerseyMikes for a few months and then come to his Subway stores.

Comment

• Originally posted by Buffalo/Islander Alum View Post

I would love to hear the positives.

I think at some point he has pissed off damn near every person in every different aspect of life.

If a university like WT is shrinking in enrollment and cash the last thing you want to do is tell freshman to check out Amarillo or Clarendon College for two years.

Thats like BuffaloChip telling customers to check out JerseyMikes for a few months and then come to his Subway stores.
                              The junior college thing was dumb, but generally speaking, I don't think that parents and prospective students took Wendler's advice. If they did, the area jucos' enrollments would be up. They aren't. The "no textbooks" thing was dumb, too. Good concept, not workable and not thought through. Going from a four day school week down from five wasn't the best idea, either, IMO. The drag show thing, I actually supported Wendler on that.

Wendler's positive is that he seems to have made deep inroads into the well-heeled in the area. That the capital campaign is approaching $200 million is staggering, and a number that I never guessed possible. This kind of money will do a lot to buffer WT and allow it to offer scholarships to hundreds of students.

The enrollment cliff is real, and is affecting most universities in the U.S. This is a decent read:

https://www.bing.com/search?pglt=41&...ANNTA1&PC=HCTS

Comment

• https://walterwendler.com/page/2/

Hey WT this is our president! This is the most bizarre rant against athletics, against disadvantaged students I have ever read. He doubled down on the go to Junior College but while adding a rant against “ athletes.” Is this 1950?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X