Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JUCO, Pros/Cons

I have been following the NSIC over the past couple of years. Great content and information guys, found myself checking out Senior Bowl practice clips on ESPNU at the gym yesterday. Needless to say I am have college football with draws. As signing day approaches Feb. 5th. I wanted to get your take on JUCO recruits, looking at some of the powers in the NSIC, it looks as if they do not heavily recruit the JUCO circuit. UMary and some other programs have really taken a dive in the pool. I know the SEC relies heavily on JUCO transfers at times.

I was just wondering how it has worked out for the NSIC historically? Has there ever been a home run JUCO recruit who made a major impact? Is the juice worth the squeeze? Stay warm boys. All the best.

USF has had a lot of success with JUCO transfers. Gabe Watson is one who immediately comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post
      USF has had a lot of success with JUCO transfers. Gabe Watson is one who immediately comes to mind.
      Man the JuCo impact list for USF is quite long....

Gabe.
      Caden Walters really rounded into a solid NSIC QB this season.
      Nephi Garcia.
      Taylor Perkins and Jon Eastman.
      Some guys named Lorenzo Brown and Chad Cavendar who did alright as well.

All JuCo products.

This was off the top of my head going back a few years. We've had a host of other solid starters and role players over the years that also came from JuCos.

JuCo guys and the reliance on them can give a program a bad-rap. It can appear to be a quick fix to mask holes in your roster. But therein lies the difference, is program relying on them, or supplementing them rosters with them? That can really vary from school to school. Four-year program guys can be jaded and pissed off if new guys are brought in. Competition can be great, but a sense of entitlement can wreck cultures. I had numerous JuCo and transfer teammates, usually from far off places. The ones that were willing to buy into the Coo football culture that Bob Young cultivated and is the program MO worked out well and were great teammates. There was a very small percentage of guys however that would be brought in and felt like NAIA/D2 ball was beneath them or because they had great JuCo numbers, they were the next best thing since sliced bread. Funny thing was those stats or past didn't change the fact that they were currently in Sioux Falls, SD freezing their asses off and getting dressed in a module trailer for practice. These guys were your locker room cancers. I also weathered the NAIA to D2 transition, so there was likely an abundance of transfers and JuCos at my point in Coo history, but I don't know the numbers.

Guys either buy in to the program, its history, its culture, or don't. I think the Coo has had success with JuCo products because the culture surrounding the program was/is strong enough to self-police any screwups (there's often a risk with JuCo guys, whether academically or discipline) or not let bad attitudes bring it down if you do strike out on a guy. But our program was never built on JuCo guys, but wasn't afraid to bring them in if needed.
      4x 'Crackerjack' NAIA National Champions - 1996, 2006, 2008, 2009
      2016 NSIC Champions
      🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑🔑

Comment

Otis, you make a great point. I think the key is to use JUCOs to supplement your roster not be used as the foundation. Its a fine line, I think they can be useful if they buy in.

Comment

Just from personal experience, I can't stand getting JUCO guys. Every year, coaches bring in JUCO kids who aren't very good. Let's face it, if they are still going D2 or lower after two years in JUCO, it's for a reason. I know sometimes you NEED a JUCO guy to fill in at a position that has no experience, and that's usually on O/D line. But to consistently go after JUCO kids at a D2 program is how you will set yourself up for failure. It's much better to just recruit local kids and let them develop in the program than it is to pick kids up from across the country. But that's just my personal opinion. If I were a D2 HC, I would only recruit JUCOs if I absolutely needed to.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogLB View Post
            Just from personal experience, I can't stand getting JUCO guys. Every year, coaches bring in JUCO kids who aren't very good. Let's face it, if they are still going D2 orlower after two years in JUCO, it's for a reason. I know sometimes you NEED a JUCO guy to fill in at a position that has no experience, and that's usually on O/D line. But to consistently go after JUCO kids at a D2 program is how you will set yourself up for failure. It's much better to just recruit local kids and let them develop in the program than it is to pick kids up from across the country. But that's just my personal opinion. If I were a D2 HC, I would only recruit JUCOs if I absolutely needed to.
            If your coach is consistently bringing in JUCO kids who aren't good then the coach needs to be better at evaluating talent.

Comment

We have a trickle of JUCO guys. We signed a QB out of California last year. He was a redshirt before NDSU before that. Unfortunately he got injured and we're not sure what his future will be with the program.

Comment

Originally posted by BulldogLB View Post
                Just from personal experience, I can't stand getting JUCO guys. Every year, coaches bring in JUCO kids who aren't very good. Let's face it, if they are still going D2 or lower after two years in JUCO, it's for a reason. I know sometimes you NEED a JUCO guy to fill in at a position that has no experience, and that's usually on O/D line. But to consistently go after JUCO kids at a D2 program is how you will set yourself up for failure. It's much better to just recruit local kids and let them develop in the program than it is to pick kids up from across the country. But that's just my personal opinion. If I were a D2 HC, I would only recruit JUCOs if I absolutely needed to.
                I hate to break it to you, but college football and college football recruiting isn't that black and white.

Comment

I played JC ball. My roommate got a scholarship to play at the U of MN. Our tailback went on to set the all time rushing record at the school that he went to. If you have to depend on them every season at a lot of positions you probably won't be coaching long. And if you ignore them you are often missing the piece that it takes to have a great season. A coach shouldn't be so closed minded as to not give them a chance.

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

I hate to break it to you, but college football and college football recruiting isn't that black and white.
                    Obviously I know this. The new head coach at the school I played at brought in about 12 JUCO guys my Junior year, and then about another 12 my senior year. And none of them made an impact. So I know that it just depends on the situation, but they didn't help our team, and most of them didn't buy into the program either. In my 4 years at SWOSU, there were maybe 3 JUCO guys total who came in and had a big impact. And maybe that's not the norm. But from my personal experience, 80% of the JUCO kids were cancerous to the program.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X