Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SMSU fan View Post
    I think gap is closing between top and bottom, which in turn makes Nsic even better.
    I mostly agree. Arvay is definitely talented. I'm surprised he didn't have any better opportunities. Sauter probably best QB coach in D2. It will be interesting to see how Arvay develops. The challenges he'll face are staying healthy, motivation if team is not winning, and adapting to NSIC football. I agree he played with and against top level talent in AZ. NSIC football is different. Games are won in the trenches where top teams dominate the lower quality teams. The back half of the season, when it's 30 degrees and teams are down 5 or 6 starters, the top teams have even more of an advantage. Arvay could put up huge numbers throughout his career but for SMSU to compete in the South against Mankato, Winona, Augie and USF it's going to take more than a recruiting class with 9 DBs, 9 WRs, and 4 RBs for 2024 that are out of region. No matter how talented they may be. How many of those guys will stick around Marshall for 4 years? History says 4.

I'm convinced the gap is widening and Northern and CSP are currently in the best position to join the upper half of the league. This could change. Time will tell!

Comment

Originally posted by NSICFballFan View Post

I mostly agree. Arvay is definitely talented. I'm surprised he didn't have any better opportunities. Sauter probably best QB coach in D2. It will be interesting to see how Arvay develops. The challenges he'll face are staying healthy, motivation if team is not winning, and adapting to NSIC football. I agree he played with and against top level talent in AZ. NSIC football is different. Games are won in the trenches where top teams dominate the lower quality teams. The back half of the season, when it's 30 degrees and teams are down 5 or 6 starters, the top teams have even more of an advantage. Arvay could put up huge numbers throughout his career but for SMSU to compete in the South against Mankato, Winona, Augie and USF it's going to take more than a recruiting class with 9 DBs, 9 WRs, and 4 RBs for 2024 that are out of region. No matter how talented they may be. How many of those guys will stick around Marshall for 4 years? History says 4.

I'm convinced the gap is widening and Northern and CSP are currently in the best position to join the upper half of the league. This could change. Time will tell!

Jim Svoboda - Central Missouri

Comment

Yeah i know its gonna b tough in winter for those warm weather kids . Im just trying to find positives and doin a little wishful thinking. Smsu has a. great recruiting class comin in, but winona , aug, sioux falls, n mankato have great recruiting every year. It will b hard. For smsu , wayne state, n others to stay competitive with less resources and lesser facilities. The gap is widening for most and Sauter has had a couple 7 and 8 win seasons in last ten years, when hes had some talent. Im hoping he can. string a few of those seasons together in next few years. I just hope nsic stays competetive and i hope they(NSIC) get a few national championships in next few years . I always route for NSIC in playoffs even if its not SMSU. In a perfect world every game in NSIC would b close game. Imo the entire conference has been recruiting better lately, and i hope that trend continues.

Comment

Originally posted by SMSU fan View Post
          The qb from Az is 5 11 185, he was the 6a ( biggest division) qb of the year. How are you ranking the classes coming in? You dont watch any film. , just all state and all conference players and fcs offers? Do all conference high school players equal wins? We are all just guessing but watching film is a part of it, and i dont think a kid that dominated the no 10 team in country in high school with 8 division 1 players on defense is gonna get destroyed by any defense in nsic. The heisman front runner is. qb brock purdy from iowa state (6 foot 190 ) out of high school, is he gettin destroyed by those defenses? D erick king qb from university of miami ( another preseason heisman watch list guy) is 5 11 195, is he gettin destroyed by defense?

Comment

Purple Mav Man What MSU incoming freshmen and/or transfers are you most excited about?

Comment

Purple Mav Man What MSU incoming freshmen and/or transfers are you most excited about?
              Incoming Freshmen:

https://msumavericks.com/sports/foot...an-vasser/9353

https://msumavericks.com/sports/foot...abe-hagen/9367

https://msumavericks.com/sports/foot...eb-vesely/9364Transfers:

https://msumavericks.com/sports/foot...carpenter/9359

https://msumavericks.com/sports/foot...rell-hall/9354

Depth and immediate impact at both DL and DB is always welcome.

Also looking for Chance Bowen to have a big return from injury at DE. And for Brayden Thomas to take another step forward, which should make him a complete handful whenever they play again.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                Thanks. I'll be looking out for those guys once we get NSIC football. IMO it will be 12 months. I love the size of this MSU class. Having tremendous success the past decade has made recruiting easier. I credit the MSU staff for running a program that caters to prospects in the region. Their system takes advantage of the type of players the Upper Midwest produces. MSU is set up to be successful for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple Mav Man View Post
                  Incoming Freshmen:

https://msumavericks.com/sports/foot...an-vasser/9353

https://msumavericks.com/sports/foot...abe-hagen/9367

https://msumavericks.com/sports/foot...eb-vesely/9364Transfers:

https://msumavericks.com/sports/foot...carpenter/9359

https://msumavericks.com/sports/foot...rell-hall/9354

Depth and immediate impact at both DL and DB is always welcome.

Also looking for Chance Bowen to have a big return from injury at DE. And for Brayden Thomas to take another step forward, which should make him a complete handful whenever they play again.
                  The upper two definitely stood out in their respected championship games. They should be good.

Vesley just needs to slightly beef up and then he should be good to go.

Comment

Thanks. I'll be looking out for those guys once we get NSIC football. IMO it will be 12 months. I love the size of this MSU class. Having tremendous success the past decade has made recruiting easier. I credit the MSU staff for running a program that caters to prospects in the region. Their system takes advantage of the type of players the Upper Midwest produces. MSU is set up to be successful for a long time.

Comment

I read what purple mav fan wrote about smsu incoming qb arvay and was wondering how many picks and why he had no offers and hes right, we dont know so i did a little research( maxpreps) . Turns out he had around 260 attempts and had 24 total tds in 12 games. He completed 67 percent of passes and threw ( 4 ) interceptions. Also came across article in maxpreps where they ranked 10 toughest high school football leagues in country . Arizona 6a premiere region was no9 toughest region in the country. Arvay was 6a premiere region qb and player of the year. Im glad i looked into it a little further, i like him even more now! There was an article by local az reporter about him, said transferring his junior year(had to sit out 5 games) no film and missed big AZ showcase in spring when all big schools come see players in spring in person (never said why he missed) Also said he transferred because Brenden Rice (no1 wr inAz) son of jerry rice wanted him for qb his se nior year.. Players fall through the cracks all the time , im just glad he is playing for smsu. It worked out pretty good for B. Rice, they finished no 3 in state overall and rice is at Colorado. When rice was junior they went 3 and 7, they added Arvay and were one of best in state, 9 and 3 and cracked top 100 in country..

Comment

Great board idea. I agree with your top five but wanted to offer input.

Top 2 in a tier by themselves:
                        1) Winona - This class is loaded with talent and size. A lot of speed at multiple positions. Looks like a mid-level FCS class. Anxious to see if some leaders emerge from this class and take Winona to the next level.
                        2) Mankato - Same as always. On offense they signed some of the top FCS/D2 linemen in the Midwest. They'll create holes for a few huge RBs. Defensively they loaded up on talent and size up front. This class is massive at every position. Should be able to man handle anything in the NSIC.

3-6 in no particular order for me:
                        3) Duluth - Seem to always make the most out of what they have to work with financially. They get the most out of local players and it's resulted in tremendous success. Nothing new with this class. 22 of the 24 signees hail from MN and WI. The three 6'5+ WR's stick out.
                        4)Auggie - Quite a few transfers. Looks like future conference, playoff and scholarship uncertainties affected recruiting. This class looks like they plan to continue playing D2 fball. They'll need to step it up if they want to compete at the FCS level.
                        5) Bemidji - Similar to Duluth. They focus on developing local talent. It's paid off recently but they need to take the next step. They grabbed a few linemen on both sides of the ball that will give them the opportunity to compete with the big boys. The NDSU DE transfer could turn out to be a huge grab if he lives up to his potential. Should be an All-Conference caliber player immediately.
                        6) USF - They're really excited about their QB get. If he lives up to the hype then USF deserves to be in this group. Otherwise, the class does not appear to be as strong as the others in this group.

Most interesting class:
                        SMSU - They have approximately 1/3 of the US represented in this class. A lot of transfers. +/- 60 new players. They dipped into TX, NV, CA and AZ and grabbed some impressive talent at skill positions. As impressive as any other team in the conference. It will be interesting to see how many of these out of region recruits stick around Marshall once it's below freezing for the 40th day in a row.

Team making the right moves:
                        CSP - There is an argument for CSP to replace Bemidji or USF in the top 3-6. They grabbed a lot of the St. Cloud transfers. Picked up plenty of local talent (MN/WI) which is critical for overall success but also dipped into TX, FL and CA for some talent. I expect CSP will continue to improve under Currier.

Most potential for future recruiting success:
                        Northern - New stadium, new dorms, renovations, updated facilities and new energy in the coaching staff. Add a great fan base and Men's bball and vball success. No reason for Northern not to become a postseason contender. New staff has WI connections which will be critical for success. 2020 class has some very intriguing transfers that will make an immediate impact.

With CSP and Northern taking steps in the right direction I feel the top of the conference will become more competitive. I have a feeling the gap is going to widen even further between the top tier teams and bottom tier teams leaving not much of a middle tier if any at all other than Moorehead. I anticipate Wayne, SMSU, Minot, Mary and UIU will continue to struggle to field competitive teams.

Um.... i guess we will see. Big fan of college recruiting as some know on this board. Overall, its hard to gage talent and how it will transfer to this level. But I'd be suprised if your take on Augustana and USF are correct. A lot of talent there... USF top guys for this year were on their O line(not including the transfers). The two kids from Champlin park are elite imo including Jaice Miller who was mentioned. Justin Mathieue the DB from Florida is one of the best athletes in this years nsic class.

Angie I liked the SDSU transfer QB Connors, WR Perry Keys from Mississippi is very athletic and big play, and the big 1st team all state Olineman from Nebraska.

Comment

Heard Minot picked up a commit from Nebraska in paw country

Comment

I'm interested to see what these 2021 recruiting classes look like. I expect teams will have less scholarship funds available, resulting in smaller recruiting classes. Depends how many seniors decide to return for a 5th, 6th and in some cases 7th year.

Comment

Originally posted by bendavis2020 View Post
                              It would be advisable for HS seniors to commit early this year. Lock in that scholarship and spot on the roster. 2021 recruiting classes will be smaller and programs will have less scholarship funds available.

Comment

Originally posted by bendavis2020 View Post
                                Who would that be?

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X