Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

History Lesson: Duluth's First Title Game, the 1948 Junior Rose Bowl.

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• History Lesson: Duluth's First Title Game, the 1948 Junior Rose Bowl.

I made one of these on the GLVC board a few weeks ago - and with the NSIC board being slow lately, I thought I'd share something here too.

The Junior Rose Bowl (aka "The Little Rose Bowl) was a JUCO bowl game played between 1946-1966 at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, CA. Between 1967-1971, the game would be renamed "The Pasadena Bowl" and would feature teams from both NCAA divisions. The game would be played again in 1976 and 1977, again as a JUCO game.

The game featured teams from the two JUCO governing bodies - the CCCAA and the NJCAA. Some recognize it as the true national championship game, however records from both associations are tough to find in reference to who they recognized as their top team for most of this time period (and the NJCAA began recognizing their own national champion in 1954). The game rivaled the popularity of it's bigger brother, the Rose Bowl in attendance in the early years, as well as it's popularity locally.

Here's a list of the game records:

Pasadena Bowl - Wikipedia

Duluth Junior College was founded in 1927. It was housed in Denfield High School before moving to Franklin Elementary School in 1946. At the time, Duluth was one of the largest cities to have a junior college. As such, they had access to a dedicated JC faculty and equipment, amenities not afforded to other schools, making it a very respectable institution. They fielded sports teams, and played local junior colleges in the Upper Midwest. The two most popular programs were business and engineering, and they existed to prepare students for senior college or professional school. I can't find solid numbers on their enrollment - but it looks like they had close to 900 students in 1946 (according to the U of M) and as few as 111 (by 1950).

DJC was often regarded as a school for the rich - when it opened, tuition was $250 (or >$3,500 in 2021). They would cut the tuition bill down to $100 by the late 1930's. Another problem facing the school was it's older brother, the Duluth State Teacher's College (founded in 1902). DJC struggled to attract female students who opted for DSTC's teacher training. Though, another reference I found from the University of Minnesota suggests that DJC also put a lot of pressure on DSTC's development. They also claim that DSTC and DJC were fierce rivals in football. In 1947, Duluth State Teacher's College would become the University of Minnesota-Duluth, and DJC would fold just three years later in 1950.

There's not a lot of info on DJC, but I've linked some of what I have below (the LostColleges.com article is the main source for the above). There was also a book published about DJC in 2013 that I'd like to read someday.

?

In 1948, the football team would be selected to represent the NJCAA at the 1948 Junior Rose Bowl. DJC - lead by head coach and UofM legend Frank Larson, would take on Compton College, lead by former USC tackle and future CHOFer, Tay Brown. Brown had an arsenal of talent - including future NFL HOFer Hugh McElhenny. Many of their players would go on to become successful in the NCAA and NFL. Compton was a significantly larger school as well, at least 5x the size. Not much info about the game is readily available (though I do believe it to be out there somewhere). Compton would win easily, 48-14. 50,000 spectators were in the attendance.

DJC claims a 8-0 record in 1949, though Larson had moved on to the CFL to coach the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

?

Curiously, Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College also claims the 1948 National Championship (as Perkinston College). The Williamson Football Rating Buerau recognized Perkinston and Compton as co-Champions for that season. It's believed Duluth was chosen to represent in the game because Perkinston didn't have the money to travel to California.

Flashback: 1948 National Championship (mgcccbulldogs.com)

In 1995, Duluth Technical College and Duluth Community College would merge to form Lake Superior College. LSC would rejoin the NJCAA a few years ago, after Duluth's 60+ year absence from JUCO sports.

Here's some various information on DJC and the 1948 Junior Rose Bowl. Much of it was used for the above.

Here's an auction listing for Hugh McElhenney's ring:

Lot Detail - 1948 Compton Jr. College Championship Player's Ring - Hugh McElhenny (goldinauctions.com)

Also, here's an eBay listing for the game program - I have a copy somewhere. It lists the game rosters as well as a lot of other information. I also have a pin supposedly given to the DJC players as well.

Authentic Rare Vintage 1948 3rd Annual Junior Rose Bowl Game Football Program | eBay

A 2009 conversation with QB Peter Peterson ahead of the NCAA DII Championship Game:

This isn't Duluth's first time as football power | Duluth News Tribune

UMD records about DJC:

Collection: Duluth Junior College scrapbook | University of Minnesota Archival Collections Guides (umn.edu)

DJC entry on LostColleges.com:

(67)Duluth Junior College | lost-colleges

Duluth News Tribune Article on DJC

Rosy memories reach 60 years for Duluth team | Duluth News Tribune

LA Times Article on the 1948 Junior College Rose Bowl

Compton Gridders Relive Triumph in '48 Little Rose Bowl - Los Angeles Times (latimes.com)

Anyway - it's just something I always thought was interesting. If I missed anything or got anything wrong, let me know.

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Curiously, Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College also claims the 1948 National Championship (as Perkinston College). The Williamson Football Rating Buerau recognized Perkinston and Compton as co-Champions for that season. It's believed Duluth was chosen to represent in the game because Perkinston didn't have the money to travel to California.

I don't hear Perkinston mentioned very often, so this grabbed my attention. The year before my wife and I got married, she did an internship at the Perkinston MGCCC campus. The town (literally) has one stop light, and is pretty much just the college.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

I don't hear Perkinston mentioned very often, so this grabbed my attention. The year before my wife and I got married, she did an internship at the Perkinston MGCCC campus. The town (literally) has one stop light, and is pretty much just the college.
      Wasn't expecting that to be somebody's takeaway, haha. I kid, of course.

I Google'd them. Wikipedia doesn't even list a population for the area. Apparently though, the 1,300 ft. WLOX TV antenna is one of the tallest structures in the United States, though it pales in comparison to Blanchard, North Dakota's 2,063 ft. tall KVYL-TV mast.

Their stadium ain't half bad either -

MGCCC Facilities: Football (adobe.com)

Comment

Originally posted by SW_Mustang View Post

Wasn't expecting that to be somebody's takeaway, haha. I kid, of course.

I Google'd them. Wikipedia doesn't even list a population for the area. Apparently though, the 1,300 ft. WLOX TV antenna is one of the tallest structures in the United States, though it pales in comparison to Blanchard, North Dakota's 2,063 ft. tall KVYL-TV mast.

Their stadium ain't half bad either -

MGCCC Facilities: Football (adobe.com)
        Is that the stadium on the Perkinston campus? They have four locations, but I couldn't tell from the link the town in which those pictures were taken.

My wife was there for the '93-'94 school year. They definitely didn't have those types of facilities back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Tundra_Man View Post

Is that the stadium on the Perkinston campus? They have four locations, but I couldn't tell from the link the town in which those pictures were taken.

My wife was there for the '93-'94 school year. They definitely didn't have those types of facilities back then.
          I believe so. Their Perkiston campus appears to be the main one. It looks like their athletic facilities recently underwent a major overhaul, their softball stadium opened in 2019 and they are currently building a new basketball arena. Everything they have appears to be top notch.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
          Working...
          X