Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

My understanding is that it is under 20; in the high teens. As stated, having success at Southwest can be done; they were successful 2013 the 7-5 and 8-3 in 2015 and 5-6 in 2016.
    But, that was before the transfer portal. I don't have statistics but I would think the transfer portal impacts all schools; I am guessing that the transfer portal disproportionately impact remote location schools and schools that struggle with their win-loss record. My point was that its a D-2 head coaching job that will be attractive to some; but there are a lot of variables that might make it less attractive to other perspective coaches:
    The variables/challenges:
    -Majority of current staff under contract for one more year/one coach has multiple years left on contract.
    -Number of scholarships
    -Remote location
    -Interim AD

Positives:
    -Nice Stadium
    -Solid Conference (Top to bottom better division of the NSIC)
    -Pay for staff is good (considering some teach classes)

I hope SW finds the right coach and finds success (however they define success). The reality on this message board and in all of football the talk is usually about winning and championships or contending for a championship and that is a reason why all of US compete or competed in this pursuit. But, some locations and schools face more challenges or obstacles to achieving that upper level of success. Sometimes success has to be measured and viewed differently because it is NOT ALWAYS A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD.
    It will probably take a special kind of coach to be interested in the job, but that's fine because I think it takes a special person to appreciate everything SMSU, Marshall and southwest Minnesota have to offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

It will probably take a special kind of coach to be interested in the job, but that's fine because I think it takes a special person to appreciate everything SMSU, Marshall and southwest Minnesota have to offer.
      UIU and Wayne are more rural than Marshall and had no problems attracting coaches. SMSU is a good place to coach in a vibrant community. Best thing that could happen is new coach negotiates for more assistants or scholarships like McMenamin did at Wayne.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post

It's much easier to transform a basketball program than a football program.
        100 % correct . It is a daunting task that takes a long time to turn around football. But the right coach can do it. See Mel Tjersdema

Comment

Originally posted by Stanger86 View Post

GAs will always turn over, but yes, the full-time slots had too much turnover over the past 5 seasons or so.
          Our administration has run off several good assistants over the past few years due to players complaining.... And of course most of those players we either not very good or pains in the asses. Fact. Unless the administration starts doing it different the same problems will persist

Comment

Originally posted by Clean Liver View Post
            If I were a coach, I wouldn't consider a new job if I was forced to keep assistants from the previous staff. Obviously I'd want a true number on the scholarships available and how they compare to the rest of the conference, an in-depth look at how the administration, faculty, students, town and surroundin' area supports the team (are HS players and coaches given FREE passes to games), $$ ear-marked for recruitin' trips and visits, $$ designated for coach clinics and conventions (AFCA?), the strength of the Booster Club and the endowment. Seriously, that's just scratchin' the surface. If I'm makin' a commitment to a small school in a small, somewhat remote town in a strong conference, I need to know everythin'!
            great questions for sure.

I can say the following. In Minnesota coaches get free admission to all SMSU events with their Minnesota Coaches Assn Card. I assume the same at other MnSCU schools like Mankato, Bemidji, Winona, Moorhead. I know because my Dad uses his every time her comes to Marshall to watch

from my perspective the locker rooms are bad and that hurts us as much and not having 36 scholarships.

I also think our recruiting budget ain't very good. Bottom of the league which is really a problem.

We can criticize Cory for brining in 70 kids last year. But that came directly from the top - The President, They were expected to drive enrollment because of low numbers. To the President's credit, SMSU has the best System enrollment numbers the last two years so it ain't all bad, but obviously we brought in a bunch of kids that weren't the right fit which ain't fair to Cory, the kids, etc.

I think the new AD is good.

And but the way, we don't expect Biology professors, or history professors ( as an example) to go recruit, even though it is directly helps them with more kids in theior classes and majors (would beneath them !) but we expect a football staff to do that -- a crock of BS. If each professor recruited 2 kids to their major it would be 300 more freshmen besides those already coming. Imagine that !

Comment

Originally posted by FB Player Coach & Fan View Post

My understanding is that it is under 20; in the high teens. As stated, having success at Southwest can be done; they were successful 2013 the 7-5 and 8-3 in 2015 and 5-6 in 2016.
              But, that was before the transfer portal. I don't have statistics but I would think the transfer portal impacts all schools; I am guessing that the transfer portal disproportionately impact remote location schools and schools that struggle with their win-loss record. My point was that its a D-2 head coaching job that will be attractive to some; but there are a lot of variables that might make it less attractive to other perspective coaches:
              The variables/challenges:
              -Majority of current staff under contract for one more year/one coach has multiple years left on contract.
              -Number of scholarships
              -Remote location
              -Interim AD

Positives:
              -Nice Stadium
              -Solid Conference (Top to bottom better division of the NSIC)
              -Pay for staff is good (considering some teach classes)

I hope SW finds the right coach and finds success (however they define success). The reality on this message board and in all of football the talk is usually about winning and championships or contending for a championship and that is a reason why all of US compete or competed in this pursuit. But, some locations and schools face more challenges or obstacles to achieving that upper level of success. Sometimes success has to be measured and viewed differently because it is NOT ALWAYS A LEVEL PLAYING FIELD.
              no way it is under 20. I am gonna ask

Comment

Originally posted by MrMustang View Post

no way it is under 20. I am gonna ask
                Those were the numbers quoted to an individual who is a prospective applicant for the position.

Comment

Our administration has run off several good assistants over the past few years due to players complaining.... And of course most of those players we either not very good or pains in the asses. Fact. Unless the administration starts doing it different the same problems will persist

Comment

And but the way, we don't expect Biology professors, or history professors ( as an example) to go recruit, even though it is directly helps them with more kids in theior classes and majors (would beneath them !) but we expect a football staff to do that -- a crock of BS. If each professor recruited 2 kids to their major it would be 300 more freshmen besides those already coming. Imagine that !
                    To be fair, some of them try - but yes, as a recent graduate that is a huge complaint I have. The professors did more complaining than active recruiting in my experience.

It's part of the reason why I believe the issues with the athletic department extend beyond just the athletic department. The whole university needs to get it together. I think they've had a good couple of years, but they need to keep it going.

The town could step up and help too, but I won't go there.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X