Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mandan View Post

I don't think that would make sense for them from a competitive standpoint. Minot and Mary's football programs were stronger than Dakota State's ever has been, and they've been somewhat better at other sports but not at a national level. It feels to me that Dakota St would be near the bottom of the NSIC. (I say that as a Dickinson State alum that sees them play Dakota St each year).

Now if this new stadium gets in better recruits and they build a much stronger program up, then maybe you can consider it many years after the fact.
    They probably can't compete yet, but at the rate they're expanding, you never know who they might be able to bring in.

Just last week they announced a $90 million dollar campus expansion.

Comment

Just because a school improves its facilities does not indicate a plan or even a desire to reclassify.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post
        Hard for me to believe that DSU would ever be D2 material. There are already 5, D2 programs in SD with a population under 1 million.
        Probably true, but it is also hard for me to see a state with a population under 1 million have three D1 programs as well. And that may still very well happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Brandon View Post
          Just because a school improves its facilities does not indicate a plan or even a desire to reclassify.
          To be fair, I never said they would, or even should. I could just see where it's a possibility.

If they build to plans, they'd challenge Northern for best CFB stadium in the Dakotas (pound-for-pound). Seems like a waste for a school to just stick to where they are. Admittedly, that's a big "if" - but still.

Also, a couple things to consider - they would not be the smallest NSIC town by a longshot, and a little density isn't the worst thing in a small-division conference that spans five states.

It's fun to think about, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Thunder View Post

Probably true, but it is also hard for me to see a state with a population under 1 million have three D1 programs as well. And that may still very well happen.
            And if that were to be the case, SD would be down to 4 D2 programs - so DSU moving up wouldn't be that far out of place.

Ultimately, I'm not sure how much general state population demographics play into divisional membership. If it did, Minnesota wouldn't trail Nebraska, Kansas, and Iowa for D1 membership. I'm also not sure how much SD Mines and BHSU would play into the politics of East River divisional membership, outside of possibly state funding.

Comment

Sort of related - but DSU will be building their $90 million cyber center on the grounds of the Sanford Pentagon in Sioux Falls.

DSU to build research lab to Sioux Falls to help SD become cyber state (argusleader.com)

Comment

DSU announced today that they have raised $45 million total for new athletic facilities, with a goal of raising $100 million.

Dakota State athletics received $45 mil. in donations, upgraded facilities to come (msn.com)

Comment

DSU announces another donation of $7 million for athletic facilities.

Alumn donates millions to Trojans Unite Campaign (msn.com)

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X