Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upon talking to some folks today/tonight I got a decent feel, mostly from some parents. A lot of frustration of direction and organization, shock from some things (I take put of account things that are personal).

I do now feel Mike gets another year, at minimum. But the talent that is sitting and some that should starting (Max Thompson) at the least to see what we got moving forward. Too good of facilities and 7000 to watch a 1-4 squad....if we ever turn the corner, sky is the limit. Being there today was absolutely insane fun

Comment

• Originally posted by NSU4LIFE View Post
      Upon talking to some folks today/tonight I got a decent feel, mostly from some parents. A lot of frustration of direction and organization, shock from some things (I take put of account things that are personal).

I do now feel Mike gets another year, at minimum. But the talent that is sitting and some that should starting (Max Thompson) at the least to see what we got moving forward. Too good of facilities and 7000 to watch a 1-4 squad....if we ever turn the corner, sky is the limit. Being there today was absolutely insane fun
      Why play Thompson when the coaches clearly think he is currently 4th string? Need to win games. Hackel is a redshirt freshman and Van Landingham has another year of eligibility.

Comment

• Originally posted by TJE_ View Post

Why play Thompson when the coaches clearly think he is currently 4th string? Need to win games. Hackel is a redshirt freshman and Van Landingham has another year of eligibility.
        Apparently he was promised time this year. A million different things could go into that of course. Wanting to see what he has is mostly a me thing. I couldn't believe he picked NSU in the first place, so I've been waiting to see what he can do.

2/2 playing yesterday isn't quite a big enough sample, haha

Comment

Apparently he was promised time this year. A million different things could go into that of course. Wanting to see what he has is mostly a me thing. I couldn't believe he picked NSU in the first place, so I've been waiting to see what he can do.

2/2 playing yesterday isn't quite a big enough sample, haha
          Just guessing here but I seriously doubt he was promised time. Maybe promised an opportunity. Either way they played Van Landingham in front of him yesterday who hasn’t started a game at QB since high school. That’s what 5 years ago? To me that says a lot about Thompson current status as a QB

Comment

Just guessing here but I seriously doubt he was promised time. Maybe promised an opportunity. Either way they played Van Landingham in front of him yesterday who hasn’t started a game at QB since high school. That’s what 5 years ago? To me that says a lot about Thompson current status as a QB
            My guess is that it was said to him right after last season, which would make a little more sense.

People have different opinions and those can be shaped by a variety of emotions or experiences so, what I got is what it is. Not like Schmidt was telling me any of this.

From a fan standpoint, Northern always struggles to get any kids out of Sioux Falls so most people are at minimum puzzled as Max was incredible in HS and had monster numbers and now cant crack the top three.

They way they used Van Landingham was ideal yesterday, just don't know how the results will be when playing somebody who is any good at football.

I don't know if I shared this but Ian has a heart issue apparently. It is upsetting that no one would share that to explain why he is missing so much and not putting up numbers but feel for anyone that has that happen, especially in last season of career.

Comment

From a fan standpoint, Northern always struggles to get any kids out of Sioux Falls so most people are at minimum puzzled as Max was incredible in HS and had monster numbers and now cant crack the top three.

They way they used Van Landingham was ideal yesterday, just don't know how the results will be when playing somebody who is any good at football.

I don't know if I shared this but Ian has a heart issue apparently. It is upsetting that no one would share that to explain why he is missing so much and not putting up numbers but feel for anyone that has that happen, especially in last season of career.
              Still a lot of work to do on the recruiting side of things. Northern certainly has the advantage of facilities but location hurts them. Piece together a few seasons of making the playoffs and I think recruiting could turn positive quick and there may be no stopping them at that point. I don’t know a ton about South Dakota high school football. What I do know is Schmidt has been trying to get kids outside of South Dakota much to the chagrin of some boosters. There just doesn’t seem to be enough talent in the state. I was told he was really making an effort to get
              some kids from the South that made sense. I don’t know if you guys have ever spent anytime in the Southeast around high school football but it’s on a whole different level.

Regarding Van Landingham, next week will be a much better test as to his ability to help the team at QB

Ian does have a heart issue which is why he was out early in the season but I don’t believe that affects his play at all. They probably didn’t say anything due to HIPPA violations is my guess

Comment

Still a lot of work to do on the recruiting side of things. Northern certainly has the advantage of facilities but location hurts them. Piece together a few seasons of making the playoffs and I think recruiting could turn positive quick and there may be no stopping them at that point. I don’t know a ton about South Dakota high school football. What I do know is Schmidt has been trying to get kids outside of South Dakota much to the chagrin of some boosters. There just doesn’t seem to be enough talent in the state. I was told he was really making an effort to get
                some kids from the South that made sense. I don’t know if you guys have ever spent anytime in the Southeast around high school football but it’s on a whole different level.

Regarding Van Landingham, next week will be a much better test as to his ability to help the team at QB

Ian does have a heart issue which is why he was out early in the season but I don’t believe that affects his play at all. They probably didn’t say anything due to HIPPA violations is my guess
                I will never forget the day in college we turn on this football game thinking maybe it was a d3 or NAIA game as we didn't recognize the teams. It was a high school game featuring a dude named Tim Tebow.

Don't for a second think I am saying Sioux Falls even can match up with the south. I was simply referencing that SF Washington was really good and Maxs stats were off the charts. Even if they aren't all-world, getting the top kids (or near the top) in your state should be a goal.

I'm with you on everything though, no question about it.

Comment

• The lack of success in recruiting, developing and retaining talent at the QB position has definitely put the offense in a not very good spot. If you count Van Landingham in the QB number the staff has brought in 5 different transfers at the QB position to go along with signing 6 high school QBs. Trautman put up big numbers in 2021 but have not been able to find the Guy at QB since then. The last 2 seasons there has been 5 different starting QBs in Bonds, Madler, Vespo, Hackel and Van Landingham but no one has been able to separate themselves from the rest of the pack and put it all together. In the same recruiting class as Thomson the staff was after a high school QB out of Georgia but lost out to another D2 school and then signed 1 out of Arizona who decided later in the summer he wasn't going to play college football. With Vespo out for the season it will intersting to see how Hackel does once back or if Van Landingham sticks at QB. Before signing Hackel the staff was after at least 2 different QB's in the portal so it will be intersting to see if they go back to the portal once again in this upcoming recruiting class like they have done each year since being here.

Comment

• Originally posted by WolvesUp View Post
                    The lack of success in recruiting, developing and retaining talent at the QB position has definitely put the offense in a not very good spot. If you count Van Landingham in the QB number the staff has brought in 5 different transfers at the QB position to go along with signing 6 high school QBs. Trautman put up big numbers in 2021 but have not been able to find the Guy at QB since then. The last 2 seasons there has been 5 different starting QBs in Bonds, Madler, Vespo, Hackel and Van Landingham but no one has been able to separate themselves from the rest of the pack and put it all together. In the same recruiting class as Thomson the staff was after a high school QB out of Georgia but lost out to another D2 school and then signed 1 out of Arizona who decided later in the summer he wasn't going to play college football. With Vespo out for the season it will intersting to see how Hackel does once back or if Van Landingham sticks at QB. Before signing Hackel the staff was after at least 2 different QB's in the portal so it will be intersting to see if they go back to the portal once again in this upcoming recruiting class like they have done each year since being here.
                    Well to be fair, they are on QB3 due to injuries. But I do agree without the injuries there may have been some back and forth between Vespo and Hackel this year similar to Bonds and Madler last year until they figured out which one was the guy.

Comment

• Hackel seems like a good player with a decent future. He’s only a RS freshman, so I’d think some optimism should remain

Comment

Well to be fair, they are on QB3 due to injuries. But I do agree without the injuries there may have been some back and forth between Vespo and Hackel this year similar to Bonds and Madler last year until they figured out which one was the guy.
                        it’s not the back and forth but so far not having the overall talent and depth at QB needed to be successful on offense. There are other areas that need to be improved as well but being able to find the guy at QB this much needed. The staff has definitely tried but just hasn’t been able to do quite yet. Bonds was expected by many to be the one but just didn’t pan out. Then they went hard after a couple of different transfers last recruiting class but didn’t land them, Madler left and then they landed Hackel. I think Hackel has some ability and looking forward to seeing how he develops.

Comment

• Originally posted by WolvesUp View Post

it’s not the back and forth but so far not having the overall talent and depth at QB needed to be successful on offense. There are other areas that need to be improved as well but being able to find the guy at QB this much needed. The staff has definitely tried but just hasn’t been able to do quite yet. Bonds was expected by many to be the one but just didn’t pan out. Then they went hard after a couple of different transfers last recruiting class but didn’t land them, Madler left and then they landed Hackel. I think Hackel has some ability and looking forward to seeing how he develops.
                          It’s going to be interesting. I think Vespo is done for the year. Hackel I think is out at least this week and maybe longer. So if Northern keeps winning with Van Landingham at QB what do the coaches do when Hackel is healthy? Will that be enough of a track record to keep playing him or do they go back to Hackel?

Comment

• Every time we played at northern there was 5,000+ fans at the game, always felt like Northern was a sleeping giant if they were to make the right coaching hire. With their new facilities, they have separated themselves from a majority of the teams in the NSIC in that regard. This year so far has felt like a big step backwards not even being competitive in the big games. Will be interesting to follow them and see what they can do the rest of the season.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4THEPAW View Post
                              Every time we played at northern there was 5,000+ fans at the game, always felt like Northern was a sleeping giant if they were to make the right coaching hire. With their new facilities, they have separated themselves from a majority of the teams in the NSIC in that regard. This year so far has felt like a big step backwards not even being competitive in the big games. Will be interesting to follow them and see what they can do the rest of the season.
                              Agreed. I still think even with the great facilities I believe they have to overcome getting kids to come to Aberdeen. Personally, I think it’s a great place full of nice people that do an amazing job supporting Northern. But I am not 18 years old

Comment

It’s going to be interesting. I think Vespo is done for the year. Hackel I think is out at least this week and maybe longer. So if Northern keeps winning with Van Landingham at QB what do the coaches do when Hackel is healthy? Will that be enough of a track record to keep playing him or do they go back to Hackel?
                                Yes, Vespo is out for the season now. It will be interesting to see if he tries to get a medical redshirt and come back next season. I think they turn it back over to Hackel once he is healthy and good to go as it gives the staff a better idea what they have in him long term and gives him the game experience to develop even more.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X