Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMD 2024 Outlook

Figured it was time to start talking about the 2024 season and get thoughts from the few UMD folks on the board.

Offense
    • Oline - Should be a strength for the dogs this year. 4 starters return - 3 grads Williams, Hull, Fahey & jr. Grillo. Johnson and Cahalan will be missed but I think these guys will continue to be one of the best units in the NSIC.
    • WR - Wasn't big on this group last year and Coach Wiese must have felt the same as they signed a bunch of receivers in this years class. Durocher did step up as a decent slot option and Ames was their vertical guy but they need 1-2 of the incoming freshman to be able to step up right away.
    • TE - Pitz is back for his grad year and is always a great option with his height and hands. Ojile is another option here that looked like he got better each game last year. UMD again with a strong TE room.
    • RB - Mitchell and McKnight were part of the RB by committee last year and did an ok job. Guessing they stick to that again this year.
    • QB - Walljasper will hopefully do what he did last year and carry the load. I heard that he played all of last year with a significant injury so not sure how that will impact 2024. Eggert will be QB2 and is more of a pocket passer so will be interesting position to watch.
    Defense
    • Dline - Lost some guys here but UMD always plays by committee here rotating guys every couple plays. Key contributors Kaszuba, Wilson, Carter, & Konz are back so I look for this crew to continue to eat blocks for the LB's to make plays.
    • LB - This is arguably the best LB room in the conference. Strand, Klopp, Hennessey, and Herbst will be the backbone of the defense.
    • DB - Lost some great players here and will be the biggest position group to watch. Mogensen and Sylvester are back and I believe they pulled a transfer here too. If this group can play decently UMD will be one of the better defenses in the NSIC.
    Special Teams
    • P - Kobus is one of the better punters in the conference and I look for that to continue.
    • K - Cox had a good bounce back in 2023 after missing everything in 2022. Would like to see more touchbacks.
    Schedule
    • Will be the same problem they had in 2023 with a weak SoS. Both BSU and Wayne dropped from the schedule. They will need to get through the season with no more than one loss to get into the playoffs. Close out the year at home against Mankato.
    Prediction

With a healthy Walljasper 10-1
    Northern Michigan - W
    Moorhead - W
    Mary - W
    SWMS - W
    Augustana - W
    NSU - W
    SF - W
    Minot - W
    Winona St. - W
    CSP - W
    Mankato - L (will be tough to beat 2 years in a row)

With Eggert @ QB1 out 8-3
    Northern Michigan - W
    Moorhead - W (could be an L)
    Mary - W
    SWMS - W
    Augustana - L
    NSU - W
    SF - L
    Minot - W
    Winona St. - W
    CSP - W
    Mankato - L

Very good analysis for the 2024 season, I am more optimistic at WR, Ames and Durocher played well last season, some RS freshman that can play are Patterson, Flaherty, Gilbert and McCoy, incoming freshman that potentially can make an impact are Schmidt all state from Stillwater, Menzel All state and the Al Toon Award winner (best WR) in WI Nick Kihn. a transfer from Morningside is coming in at corner, the Bulldogs 2 all NSIC safeties will be tough to replace, but there are some good ones waiting in the wings. hoping for a big and injury free season from Walljasper.

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post
      Very good analysis for the 2024 season, I am more optimistic at WR, Ames and Durocher played well last season, some RS freshman that can play are Patterson, Flaherty, Gilbert and McCoy, incoming freshman that potentially can make an impact are Schmidt all state from Stillwater, Menzel All state and the Al Toon Award winner (best WR) in WI Nick Kihn. a transfer from Morningside is coming in at corner, the Bulldogs 2 all NSIC safeties will be tough to replace, but there are some good ones waiting in the wings. hoping for a big and injury free season from Walljasper.
      What does it matter at the WR position, better to have wideouts who can block for KWJ when he runs sweeps. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by vikingfaithful View Post

What does it matter at the WR position, better to have wideouts who can block for KWJ when he runs sweeps. lol.
        good point, let the freight train run!

Comment

Originally posted by Umdfan35 View Post
          good point, let the freight train run!
          I look for them to throw the ball much more this year. Not even joking. Looks like Walljasper threw it 202 times last year, I'm going to say that increases to 250 with 2000 yards. Still like him to get 1000 on the ground through

Comment

Post spring game I think my initial assessment stands but here are my thoughts:
            • Secondary is a sore spot and will need to be a focus leading into the season. BSU had several wide open deep balls and seemed to have guys open every play.
            • As expected Walljasper was on the side in street clothes hopefully getting healthy. I didn't notice any brace or support so all signs point to him being on track.
              • His backups made some nice throws but also missed a couple deep balls. Overall though I thought they played ok.
            • Noticed many of the one's either not playing at all or playing very little. I couldn't tell if BSU was doing the same.
            • Hansen had a nice 51 yard FG that would have been good from 60+. Maybe he is the deep ball kicker this year?
            • RB's ran hard behind a mix of backups (mainly) at OL.
            Was good to see some action in the spring and not the typical UMD spring practice. I'm still very optimistic the Dogs will have a playoff year if they can stay healthy.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
            Working...
            X