Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

I saw the preseason ranking and I feel like Mines is going to be a lot better than most people think. Mesa lost 24 seniors last year, but I expect them to be in the mix at the end of the season. CSU Pueblo has a lot of young talent and it's going to be interesting to see how they use it. On the offensive side of the ball the CSU Pueblo's offensive line is a mystery after losing most of their starters to graduation; however, I believe Wristen had brought in two transfers. For the quarterback position there are choices. Does CSU Pueblo bring back Brandon Edwards as its starter or move away from pro-set to a spread or read option offense with AJ Thompson? I honestly am more excited about about Gunnar Lamphere than Edwards or Thompson.

One thing is for sure, I do not think the Thunderwolves should try to play two quarterbacks again this year.
    Last edited by WalterCampFan; 08-01-2018, 06:12 PM.

Re: CSU Pueblo O-line and Quarterback - Question Big Question Marks

Well the fact that Pueblo doesnt play in Durango this year should help! He he
    I have fat thumbs sorry for typos!

Comment

Originally posted by WalterCampFan View Post
      I saw the preseason ranking and I feel like Mines is going to be a lot better than most people think. Mesa lost 24 seniors last year, but I expect them to be in the mix at the end of the season. CSU Pueblo has a lot of young talent and it's going to be interesting to see how they use it. On the offensive side of the ball the CSU Pueblo's offensive line is a mystery after losing most of their starters to graduation; however, I believe Wristen had brought in two transfers. For the quarterback position there are choices. Does CSU Pueblo bring back Brandon Edwards as its starter or move away from pro-set to a spread or read option offense with AJ Thompson? I honestly am more excited about about Gunnar Lamphere than Edwards or Thompson.

One thing is for sure, I do not think the Thunderwolves should try to play two quarterbacks again this year.
      I think you are right with Mines. Along with the T-Wolves the play at QB is a big question. Mines QB's last year just wasn't what I became used to. Garcia-Brown then Dvorak. They are going to return a good running game, which is a switch. The defense was young last year, so should only get better. Only time will tell.

Comment

Durango! Sloooooowly I turned. Step by step. Inch by inch. . . . . . .
        Sprinkles are for winners!

Comment

That is true on the transfers. One is from Baylor, He is 6'5" and 360, the other is from New Mexico State. I don't have the height and weight. We will see what the new Offense Coord has in store for the offense. All three QB's have positives and negatives. We should know in about 3 weeks on who wins the starting job. Defense again is the strong area for the team. They also have a new Running Backs coach. Don't know much about him.

Comment

Comment

Symo's coaching impact is being felt on the O-line. Glad he's back. Maul U!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1029085994392334336

Comment

We don't want people to line up and say this formation, they are running power. It doesn't look like it did in the past and the amount of play action we use will be much more."

Gory Shaw, the offensive coordinator, left after at the end of last season after 3 years of substandard performance. Pack fans got weary of watching the offense line up in a 3-tight-end formation and run the ball into the strength of the opposing team's defense. Looking forward to the change.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobo View Post
                  We don't want people to line up and say this formation, they are running power. It doesn't look like it did in the past and the amount of play action we use will be much more."

Gory Shaw, the offensive coordinator, left after at the end of last season after 3 years of substandard performance. Pack fans got weary of watching the offense line up in a 3-tight-end formation and run the ball into the strength of the opposing team's defense. Looking forward to the change.
                  Totally agree Lobo. These past three years were subpar after Daren left his position. To show where we have been here is a snippet of Coach Wilkinson's Bio on the Texas A&M. Kingsville website.

In just their seventh season since reinstating football, CSU-Pueblo averaged nearly 35 points per game and 400 yards per game. Under his guidance, quarterback Chris Bonner was propelled to All-America honorable mention honors in 2013 and this season, ranks 18th in the nation with 30 passing touchdowns.

Three offensive players, including running back Cameron McDondle earned Daktronics All-Super Region 4 honors as Colorado State-Pueblo earned its fourth consecutive Rocky Mountain Athletic Conference crown and reached the NCAA Division II Playoffs for the fourth straight season. Four offensive players were named to the Don Hansen All-Super Region 4 team.

In his first season as offensive coordinator for the Pack, Wilkinson guided CSU-Pueblo to 509.3 yards of offensive per game and 42.7 points per contest, ranked sixth and seventh nationally, respectively. Bonner received all-region accolades, tallying 33 touchdowns, seventh most in the country.

Wilkinson joined CSU-Pueblo after nearly four seasons as the quarterbacks coach and assistant recruiting coordinator for NCAA Division I program and his alma mater, Colorado State University. Serving under Rams coach Steve Fairchild from 2008-12, he helped lead Colorado State to the New Mexico Bowl championship in 2008. That season, his offense ranked in the top 40 nationally and former CSU quarterback Billy Farris went on to play in the National Football League with the Cincinnati Bengals in 2009. While at CSU, his recruiting areas included San Diego, North Los Angeles, Santa Barbara, North Calif., Ariz., Nev., Utah and all quarterback prospects.

Comment

Kind of looking like Brandon Edwards might be the starter for game one. Am I right on this?

Also, CSU Pueblo is stacked at running back and wide receiver this year. Any word on who will start in those positions?

Comment

Kind of looking like Brandon Edwards might be the starter for game one. Am I right on this?

Also, CSU Pueblo is stacked at running back and wide receiver this year. Any word on who will start in those positions?

Who else? Bernard McDondle ...

Comment

The Pack Defense looks great and will be a force to deal with by the opponent's. The Pack offense has me worried! QB's are inconsistent. Receivers dropping balls that they should catch. OL missing assignments. Symo about to lose his voice from all the yelling. The Backs are about the only thing that are a plus! As long as they don't get too banged up, the position will not be a problem. A few have minor bangs already. I just don't know watching them for 4 weeks now everyday. Worried!

Comment

Originally posted by Packfootball View Post
                          The Pack Defense looks great and will be a force to deal with by the opponent's. The Pack offense has me worried! QB's are inconsistent. Receivers dropping balls that they should catch. OL missing assignments. Symo about to lose his voice from all the yelling. The Backs are about the only thing that are a plus! As long as they don't get too banged up, the position will not be a problem. A few have minor bangs already. I just don't know watching them for 4 weeks now everyday. Worried!

Does the defense look so good because the offense is so bad? Or does the offense look so bad because the defense is so good? Or a combination of both? Either way, it appears the T-Wolves are going to have trouble when they have the ball.

Comment

Doesn't help that Wristen and Co. have not once recruited a QB out of high school that has played at the level needed to win when it counts. They have relied almost exclusively on JUCO kids that are in the program for two years tops. Why can they not recruit the QB position effectively?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobo View Post
                              Does the defense look so good because the offense is so bad? Or does the offense look so bad because the defense is so good? Or a combination of both? Either way, it appears the T-Wolves are going to have trouble when they have the ball.
                              When the offense is clicking on all cylinders they look good. Problem is consistency. They have made our defense look bad at times. But a few of defense problems have been broken assignments. That's happens at all levels of football. The offense is still trying to grasp a new system. Lots of kinks that still need to be worked out. But at least they will be exciting to watch when they are firing on all eleven cylinders!

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X