Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.d2football.com/top-25-poll-10-04-2021/

Mines stayed at #5. I'm a little surprised. GVSU is up to #6, making that loss for CSUP more understandable (no one's looking for moral victory's... well, FLC maybe). Unfortunately, D2 poll doesn't show votes for anyone after #25, so no telling if any other RMAC teams are lurking.

Comment

Western lost votes in the coaches poll yet gained a spot to #26. Probably has to do with a lot of teams at the top consolidating votes from the marginal ones. Pueblo clinging to 2 votes. None for Mesa.

Comment

Originally posted by d2-football-fan View Post
        https://www.d2football.com/top-25-poll-10-04-2021/

Mines stayed at #5. I'm a little surprised. GVSU is up to #6, making that loss for CSUP more understandable (no one's looking for moral victory's... well, FLC maybe). Unfortunately, D2 poll doesn't show votes for anyone after #25, so no telling if any other RMAC teams are lurking.
        I was surprised by this as well. There are many teams they are ahead of that would probably roll over them. We will see how they end up in the SR rankings, which is what really counts. I think they will have their work cut out for them the next 5 weeks with Mesa, Chadron, and Pueblo on the schedule all in a row.

Comment

Originally posted by Wrecked Again View Post

I was surprised by this as well. There are many teams they are ahead of that would probably roll over them. We will see how they end up in the SR rankings, which is what really counts. I think they will have their work cut out for them the next 5 weeks with Mesa, Chadron, and Pueblo on the schedule all in a row.
          Agreed, the poll counts for nothing except for us to sit here and talk about. But, I agree with your point that most of the top 10 teams, as I view Mines, will likely roll all over them. I mean, Mines has won all of their games, but aside from the first couple, just haven't looked as dominant as I would expect. But, their conference schedule is heavily backloaded, we will get to see them play all of the big boys of the conference in the coming month.

But, to have any chance of "success" in the playoffs, they better go undefeated and get a high regional seed, therefore playing at home and playing a lower regional seed. Otherwise, there are plenty of teams in the region who have the firepower - on both sides of the ball - to make a Mines postseason run pretty short.

Comment

In the AFCA poll today Mines is at 14, Western at 20 and Mesa 22nd. In the first D2 regional rankings CSM is 2, CMU 8 and WCU 9.

Comment

Originally posted by mountaineermagic View Post
              In the AFCA poll today Mines is at 14, Western at 20 and Mesa 22nd. In the first D2 regional rankings CSM is 2, CMU 8 and WCU 9.
              Possibly as overrated as I've ever seen the RMAC. What a crazy year.

Comment

I just looked over the AFCA rankings. Apparently the two main factors are record and name recognition.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Possibly as overrated as I've ever seen the RMAC. What a crazy year.
                  Honestly Western is a more well rounded team than the Ekeler years with the defense. If Western won out and had help with Mines losing to either CSUP or CSC, Gunnison could be a tough playoff game, especially if it's cold- just like 1991 vs Carson-Newman.

Comment

Honestly Western is a more well rounded team than the Ekeler years with the defense. If Western won out and had help with Mines losing to either CSUP or CSC, Gunnison could be a tough playoff game, especially if it's cold- just like 1991 vs Carson-Newman.
                    So more well-rounded than when they didn't make the playoffs? What was the best record when Ekeler played? They're having a good year in the conference which is great but they aren't the 20th best team in the county or 9th best in the region. This is obvious if you watch other games in D2. I'm not sure any RMAC teams this year finishes better than 6th in the GSC or MIAA. Same goes for Mesa that couldn't beat a very down Pueblo team and Mines that struggled with a very average WT team. What is the best RMAC OOC win even?

Western beat a terrible WNM team.
                    Mines beat powerhouse Western Oregon
                    Mesa beat William Jewell

There are simply zero quality/impressive wins in the conference.

Comment

So more well-rounded than when they didn't make the playoffs? What was the best record when Ekeler played? They're having a good year in the conference which is great but they aren't the 20th best team in the county or 9th best in the region. This is obvious if you watch other games in D2. I'm not sure any RMAC teams this year finishes better than 6th in the GSC or MIAA. Same goes for Mesa that couldn't beat a very down Pueblo team and Mines that struggled with a very average WT team. What is the best RMAC OOC win even?

Western beat a terrible WNM team.
                      Mines beat powerhouse Western Oregon
                      Mesa beat William Jewell

There are simply zero quality/impressive wins in the conference.
                      7-4, 7-3 in conference was their best season. It would be Mines at WT. I watch some of the MIAA and UNK- really fun offense to watch. Maybe CMU and WCU have marquee non-conference matchups next year. I don't know- You can only beat who's on the schedule to this point. The Rocky Mountain region isn't ever going to be a consistent powerhouse in football compared to the south. For what the RMAC is, it seems like it's getting better with Highlands and the Dakota schools improving.
                      Last edited by mountaineermagic; 10-26-2021, 12:07 AM.

Comment

7-4, 6-3 in conference was their best season. It would be Mines at WT. I watch some of the MIAA and UNK- really fun offense to watch. Maybe CMU and WCU have marquee non-conference matchups next year. I don't know- You can only beat who's on the schedule to this point. The Rocky Mountain region isn't ever going to be a consistent powerhouse in football compared to the south. For what the RMAC is, it seems like it's getting better with Highlands and the Dakota schools improving.
                        Are they improving or are the traditional top teams down? From watching OOC games, it's the top teams being down. Black Hills struggled at home to Dickinson State. I don't see that as much of an improvement from the past. Watching Highlands I simply don't see some drastic improvement from what they were. You can't tell me in watching Mines that they look anywhere near as good as they were the past couple of years.

The best OOC win for the conference then is against a 4-4 WT team, which has one win against WNM and one against Texas College...whoever that is.

Sure, it's not and won't ever be a powerhouse compared to the GSC. The MIAA isn't the south though, nor is the NSIC, or GLIAC. It honestly just looks like a really bad year for the conference for whatever reason. Hence why I said it looks like the RMAC is very overrated in the polls.

Comment

Are they improving or are the traditional top teams down? From watching OOC games, it's the top teams being down. Black Hills struggled at home to Dickinson State. I don't see that as much of an improvement from the past. Watching Highlands I simply don't see some drastic improvement from what they were. You can't tell me in watching Mines that they look anywhere near as good as they were the past couple of years.

The best OOC win for the conference then is against a 4-4 WT team, which has one win against WNM and one against Texas College...whoever that is.

Sure, it's not and won't ever be a powerhouse compared to the GSC. The MIAA isn't the south though, nor is the NSIC, or GLIAC. It honestly just looks like a really bad year for the conference for whatever reason. Hence why I said it looks like the RMAC is very overrated in the polls.
                          I agree that Mines isn't as good as they've been. But they've always been gimmicky with the spread under Brandon. they've got a smaller QB than most of the RMAC and their oline has struggled. They're an air raid or run and shoot offense, and it can be difficult to protect the qb.

Division 2 just does what D1 does of spreading the rankings geographically. They're not going to rank the entire SEC West over a couple of Pac 12 schools, even though the SEC would win head to head most of the time.

Comment

I agree that Mines isn't as good as they've been. But they've always been gimmicky with the spread under Brandon. they've got a smaller QB than most of the RMAC and their oline has struggled. They're an air raid or run and shoot offense, and it can be difficult to protect the qb.
                            First, I would contend that nearly every year the very top RMAC team would be a middling team in the top conferences. GSC, MIAA, NSIC, GLIAC... It just so happens that the top of the conference doesn't look as "top" as it more often has. Yes, I recall when CSUP could play with the big boys, but even then they only had to do it a time or two per season and had the powder puff RMAC for the other 9-10 weeks. CSUP at least scheduled a great OOC schedule, even if they didn't really play it. I guess Mines tried to, but WT just isn't having a good year. But William & Jewell and a bye week doesn't get much credit for Mesa. WCO's OOC has a combined 1-10 record so far (they are yet to play Lincoln, CA - who is 0-3 and been outscored 27 - 178...). But, OOC schedule has been an item for years with the RMAC, just not a lot of appetite for good competition, but when you're an average conference, who wants to go get stomped by Midwestern St., Ferris St., NWMSU, etc.?

Second, I would argue that Mines was more gimmicky under Stitt than Brandon. They have done a LOT more running in his tenure, and done it very effectively. They have also played some really good defense. But, I also agree that a lot more was expected with so much coming back from a surprisingly good 2019 run - especially on offense.

Third, I think WCO and CMU have potential, but it's a matchup thing. WCO especially has played good defense, and if they could host a PO game - with cold weather and altitude, they could win a first game.

Fourth, the bottom half of the RMAC has been atrocious for years (decades...). Not just bad, but battling for the worst in D2 (look at FLC).

Fifth, I think NMHU has made progress. I hope they build on that progress. They were a bottom feeder for a minute, they are now in the middle and have played a couple of tough games.

Finally, as for rankings, I said a couple of weeks ago - they are only for us to bicker about. They have no relevance and because of that I feel like are truly given no thoughtfulness. A team won? Move them up. A team lost? Move them down. That's it. And to get ranked really highly, you need to start out ranked pretty highly - case in point, Mines. Regional rankings are based on performance and generally, the quality of that performance. And - they determine the playoffs. Those are worth talking about.

Comment

https://masseyratings.com/cf/ncaa-d2/ratings

Just found this on the main chat page. I'm not sure on the math, but it estimates "power" of each team, looks at SOS, current and future, compares offense and defense. Not shockingly, RMAC is no at the top. And I've said a couple of times that FLC is fighting to be the worst in D2, this system agrees, lol. It's just another data point to look at and talk about, complain about, or simply ignore. :)

Comment

Originally posted by d2-football-fan View Post
                                https://masseyratings.com/cf/ncaa-d2/ratings

Just found this on the main chat page. I'm not sure on the math, but it estimates "power" of each team, looks at SOS, current and future, compares offense and defense. Not shockingly, RMAC is no at the top. And I've said a couple of times that FLC is fighting to be the worst in D2, this system agrees, lol. It's just another data point to look at and talk about, complain about, or simply ignore. :)
                                Massey has been doing this for years. It is somewhat instructional. But I'm sure, if you looked back during CSUPs championship season, they would not be near the top either.

I've heard the RMAC is blah argument for years. We certainly don't have the recruiting backyard that other conferences have. Plus we have to compete with 3 middling FBS programs and an FCS program on our back porch. In the end, it comes down to leadership and execution. Great coaching plus resources combined with motivated players will get a program far.

What I can say is that the RMAC is no longer considered the worst or second-worst conference in the country. Kudos to the handful of teams that have made that happen....

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X