Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mines @ Western

So that was a crazy game…. I think Mines’ games against Angelo and Grand Valley gave them the confidence and fortitude to take Western’s punch. They may have built some character and toughness in those early weeks learning how to play under pressure.

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post
    So that was a crazy game…. I think Mines’ games against Angelo and Grand Valley gave them the confidence and fortitude to take Western’s punch. They may have built some character and toughness in those early weeks learning how to play under pressure.
    100% And in my opinion, the teams in the RMAC who don't schedule tough OOC games should use this example when scheduling in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by CSM alum 1993 View Post

100% And in my opinion, the teams in the RMAC who don't schedule tough OOC games should use this example when scheduling in the future.
      Very true. This is very apparent with the SD schools this year. SD Mines played better ooc that BH and has the better resume due to that. If BH doesn't drop two games by a combined 2 points they may be still in the hunt. Playing a weaker OOC schedule keeps them on the outside looking in unfortunately and leaves no room for a slip up!

I would love to see Dickinson State jump up to D2. It's such a close road trip for BHSU. It's just in a bad place for any conference to take them other than making the rmac schools travel even further than they already do. For what it's worth they do have a very nice football facility. They also have had a great history of winning there except for a short stint in the NAIA conference in Montana where they struggled. Thinking only in the interest of the SD schools I wish Dickinson could be added to the Rmac.

It also would help a ton of the NSIC and MIAA had one non conference game each year but I do understand why they do what they do.
      ​​​

Comment

Originally posted by CSM alum 1993 View Post

But when you look at out of conference performance against teams who aren't GVSU or Angelo, it's still discouraging. WTA&M would have won the RMAC this year... based on their results. They're a 4th place LSC team. Angelo would have won, based on results. GVSU would have won.

In fact, RMAC was 5-12 in OOC games. Of the 5 wins, 2 were against William & Jewell (who sits at 1-8), Dickinson St (NAIA), Missouri S&T and Midwestern St (the only respectable win). All attempts against good competition turned up losses.

Now if we're using the losses as preparation for later in the season - that means you have to play close games in your OOC losses. Not many of those either. Western lost to UTPB in OT. SDM lost to Truman by 7.

The RMAC won 5 and played 4 close games out of 17.

Western was one of the teams that scheduled better teams (WTA&M and UTPB), and they are a team who just lost a close game that we're crediting Mines for winning, meaning it didn't work.

All of this to say...

Mines is currently put together better than the rest of the RMAC - and the in-conference results prove that out. Mines has rolled all season in conference, short of last week, in which case they had it in them to dig deep and pull it out. But, that's just because they are a good team. And, as CSUP proved when they won it all, you can even trip up against a lesser team and still achieve your goals.

CSUP is probably closest to Mines right now. They got a good win against Midwestern, and got beat up by GVSU and only have lost to Mines and a score loss to Western (this didn't seem to "help" Western either) in conference play. They are a step behind Mines, but at least a step ahead of most of the RMAC.

Western is close to this level as well, and I think this season has been a bit disappointing for them.

These are the teams that will have a chance to compete with the better D2 programs. While playing the tough teams, playing close games, etc., has value. Frankly these games are more important when trying to get post-season births and seeding, than "preparing" for the important in-conference games later. So yes, better competition helps, but only to the degree you can compete with them and it becomes a net positive at the end of the year.

The rest of the RMAC really needs to focus on some combination of better players and/or better coaches, or letting the current progress continue.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
        Working...
        X