Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CSU Pueblo beats Midwestern State 37-8.

Comment

Overall, a nice showing for the RMAC in week 1. 6-4, highlighted by Colorado Mines signature win. But, the RMAC was 2-2 against the LSC, Colorado Mesa probably the most disappointing showing. The RMAC was 4-2 in games against non-LSC teams including a competitive loss to an FCS former D3 power, Chadron's near complete collapse, but held on. As disappointing as Mesa was, the worst showing is probably Fort Lewis, as Turbo suggested that they are going to drop football, any truth to that?

Comment

My biggest takeaway from the Western win was how vanilla the Buffs offense was. I guess the pieces just aren't in place to replicate what UNK had two years with Lynn in Canyon just yet. For WCU Drew Nash did a good job of avoiding mistakes and scrambling when needed. He's a better runner than I had anticipated. His one deep shot late in the 4th qtr was the only time Western had a empty backfield. He should put up some big passing days with the speed of Montez and David at wide out. Was very sad to see number 53 Ian Loomis at LB go down with a knee injury in the 1st half. Heard it was bad. He was really flying around making plays before he collided with a teammate. Overall Western looks pretty solid. Sorry the announcers suck so bad. Not a good luck for the town or school. I just have it on mute anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by mountaineermagic View Post
          My biggest takeaway from the Western win was how vanilla the Buffs offense was. I guess the pieces just aren't in place to replicate what UNK had two years with Lynn in Canyon just yet. For WCU Drew Nash did a good job of avoiding mistakes and scrambling when needed. He's a better runner than I had anticipated. His one deep shot late in the 4th qtr was the only time Western had a empty backfield. He should put up some big passing days with the speed of Montez and David at wide out. Was very sad to see number 53 Ian Loomis at LB go down with a knee injury in the 1st half. Heard it was bad. He was really flying around making plays before he collided with a teammate. Overall Western looks pretty solid. Sorry the announcers suck so bad. Not a good luck for the town or school. I just have it on mute anyways.
          Western looked good, especially in having to replace some very key guys.

No need to apologize for the announcers, unless you're in charge of them that is lol. The camera work was 100x better than the few minutes I saw of the Pueblo game. That was a complete joke.

Comment

Originally posted by mountaineermagic View Post
            Is Montez related to the old CU QB? Just had de ja by hearing that name called on tv.

Comment

I might be in the minority be I actually liked Western's announcers. One of them seemed like a kid who was making a lifelong dream trip to Disneyland, but I appreciated their enthusiasm, and I thought the football knowledge actually decent. I watched the last 1 1/2 quarters of the game. And yes, the camera work was good. It shouldn't be too much to ask for the camera to show a good range (not zoomed up so much you can't even see a running back or linebackers), follow the ball, and not switch camera in middle of the play. So, I listed 3 things, but these are very basic things that are fundamental to watching football. Pueblo is not alone in this... I have so often in the past seen poor camerawork from various web productions.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

Western looked good, especially in having to replace some very key guys.

No need to apologize for the announcers, unless you're in charge of them that is lol. The camera work was 100x better than the few minutes I saw of the Pueblo game. That was a complete joke.
                Pueblo’s video feed has never been particularly good. I’d heard (probably here) that it is run by PCC’s media majors but man…
                Their radio crew is good though. Definitely good production value on the audio side

Comment

Originally posted by Predatory Primates View Post

The new coach did really well turning around the worst MIAA program at UNK, but it took 4 years to be decent. I think they'll get there eventually.
                  Worst? Ouch. I didn’t follow the MIAA a t the start of Lynn’s tenurebut Lincoln and Northeastern are seriously on the struggle bus. If UNK was worse they were in a bad spot. When they were in the RMAC, they were always near the top and very respectable.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post

Pueblo’s video feed has never been particularly good. I’d heard (probably here) that it is run by PCC’s media majors but man…
                    Their radio crew is good though. Definitely good production value on the audio side
                    I've mentioned it numerous times in the past that their feed is embarrassingly bad. I don't remember the last time I watched it where it didn't have audio issues and maybe some bad camera work but yesterday was a new level of incompetece.

Comment

Worst? Ouch. I didn’t follow the MIAA a t the start of Lynn’s tenurebut Lincoln and Northeastern are seriously on the struggle bus. If UNK was worse they were in a bad spot. When they were in the RMAC, they were always near the top and very respectable.
                      I don't think Lincoln was in the MIAA then.During the first year in the MIAA, UNK lost 6 qb's to injury. There was serious concern about them having the players to finish the season. Their lines were so undersized and underathletic that they just couldn't hold up to week after week of mismatch. They slowly increased schollies and got a win or two, but I'm pretty sure they were 0-11 the year before Lynn took over.

The old 18 scholly rmac wasn't at all like the current rmac. They have come a loooooong way since then.

Comment

Is Montez related to the old CU QB? Just had de ja by hearing that name called on tv.
                        He's not related to Steven Montez. This Montez is from Las Vegas.

Comment

Originally posted by ccmoney8 View Post

They were one of the most dominant D3 teams and jumped up to FCS this year, skipping D2, because they're apparently loaded. Also their conference kicked them out for dominating in football too hard.
                          Slight correction/addition here. St. Thomas jumped to DI because it was the best fit for their non football sports especially hockey. There is no D2 hockey sponsored by the NCAA. Once the MIAC schools except St. John’s, College of St. Benedict, and Bethel (felt right to differentiate the non cowardly programs) voted to kick St. Thomas out, they decided to make the leap to DI but keep football non scholarship in the Pioneer League. The Pioneer League is mainly for schools that only care about basketball and don’t want scholarship funds to go to football like Valpo, Butler, Drake etc. The fact that they get an auto bud to the playoffs every year still astounds me. They’re DI in name only and would be another run of the mill D2 conference if they dropped down

Comment

Originally posted by sportsvine View Post
                            Black Hills lost to St. Thomas 36-26. I have never heard of St. Thomas, but apparently they are FCS and based out of St. Paul, MN.

I hate to admit that I hadn't either. But looking back on their previous seasons they have been playing teams like Drake, San Diego, and Stetson recently. So I'm assuming they are a non scholarship D1 football program. That used to be D3 However they look to be very good good historically. Lots of past winning seasons at d3 level. And went 11 and 1 last year playing in this league with Drake etc looks like. They did play Michigan Tech last year and won 32 to 6 so that's the one d2 comparison I found. They play South Dakota this week so that will be interesting to see how they do. Last year they lost to Southern Utah pretty bad. I could be wrong about much of this but that's what I'm gathering from their schedule played.

I didn't watch the game but BHSU threw a pick 6 first drive. And spotted them 22 unanswered before making two pushes to get the game back to a 2 score game.

3 stats stuck out to me.
                            1. BHSU was 1 for 9 on 3rd down. STU was 6 for 14.
                            2. BHSU Threw the ball for over 300 maybe because they were down so much early. STU ran for over 200 yards
                            3. BHSU was sacked 7 times. STU Zero. I'm not sure what kind of offense STU runs.

Overall I think the team was proud of the resilience they showed.

The Quinones brothers are very small kids in BHSUs defensive backfield. But it seems they are always making game changing plays. Scooped up a blocked FG and took it back to the 7. And also recovered an onside kick late in the game. They are guys to watch on this defense.
                            Last edited by BHer; 09-07-2023, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X