Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense Wins Championships

CSUP, like Harding this past weekend, proved that “defense” wins championships.

In 2014, Minnesota Mankato got to the natty by mowing over opponents with its overpowering offensive line and prolific running and passing game. Mankato, like Mines this past season, put up some gaudy regular season statistics averaging 44 points per game.

In the playoffs, Mankato beat Pittsburg State and Minnesota-Duluth (who beat Northwest Missouri State) before advancing to the semi-final game. Mankato easily beat Concord, 47 to 13, to advance to the natty in Kansas City.

Meanwhile, CSUP beat Angelo State and Ohio Dominican (who beat Ferris State) to advance to the semi-final game against West Georgia. West Georgia got into the semi-final game by beating Delta State and Valdosta State. CSUP beat West Georgia in a defensive struggle, 10 to 7, to win a trip to Kansas City.

CSUP shut out Mankato 13 to 0 to win the 2014 National Championship proving that defense, indeed, wins national championships (a belief that former CSUP HC John Wristen practiced and preached). T-Wolf fans are hoping that HC Phil Vigil will follow in his footsteps.

Yes it does. If you run the Flexbone your defense has got to be exceptional. You can’t get into scoring battle. You must get 1-3 stops per half so your offense can get the ball and take big chunks of time off the clock. Passing can stop the clock. Use it sparingly. No mistake in the kicking game and no penalties.

Comment

We use to laugh during practice and on long drives that the defense was sitting back and resting for next week while they ate off a charcuterie board.

i think teams are best when the defense is known as the dominate force. I wish more great defensive players won the Harlon hill or Heisman that do… but they’re off winning rings instead of individual trophies.

Comment

I agree with you Lobo. However, I would say it is a mischaracterization to say that Mines didn't have an excellent defense. They did. I think when a team runs THAT offense THAT well a 3-4 scheme has some inherent deficiencies. Mines was able to do some great things defensively all year. They created negative plays and turnovers throughout the season. Generally, they were better than the guy across from them. There was parity on Saturday and the systems did not match up well.

Comment

They've given up some sacks this year. They finished middle of the pack in D2 for sack rate. Again, hats off to Harding's D there. 6 sacks for -50 qualifies as a bad day at the office. That exceeds Mines' typical sack rate. There were other indicators that would say they had an effective day, too. Mines' had 341 yards of total offense with Matocha going 24-33 for 270 and a rushing average of 8.1 yds/attempt if you remove the sacks. That's pretty effective. I think the story offensively is really told by red zone efficiency. 1-4 is not going to work when you don't get stops. Another drive stalled inside the 30. Those are points that have to be converted to win. Again, good for Harding's D in those situations.
          Last edited by GoneBlastin; 12-19-2023, 11:32 AM. Reason: This post now lacks context as the one before it was deleted.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post
            I agree with you Lobo. However, I would say it is a mischaracterization to say that Mines didn't have an excellent defense. They did. I think when a team runs THAT offense THAT well a 3-4 scheme has some inherent deficiencies. Mines was able to do some great things defensively all year. They created negative plays and turnovers throughout the season. Generally, they were better than the guy across from them. There was parity on Saturday and the systems did not match up well.
            I didn’t mean to disparage the Mines defense. If I came across that way it was unintentional and I apologize. Truth be told, I live in Texas and went to the game hoping to see Mines win. I thought the game would be close but came away disappointed. I thought Mines had a good chance of winning the natty because of the team’s playoff experience and significant number of 5th and 6th year seniors on the team. I thought this was going to be their year.

What I saw instead reminded me of CSUP’s game against Mankato in Kansas City a few years back. The T-Wolf defense dominated the line of scrimmage and kept Mankato’s offense off the scoreboard. it bent but didn’t break. Harding’s defense played somewhat the same. It gave up a lot of passing yards but kept Mines out of the end zone. The D-line got in Matocha’s grill and sacked him more times than I can remember. Harding even stopped Mines on three fourth down attempts. Harding’s defense is legit.

I know that the Oredigger defense was one of the best in the country this past season. In was not good against Harding’s offense. Harding consistently ran the ball with power and had the Mines defense on its heels throughout the game. At times it seemed like Harding had more players on the field than Mines. It was overwhelming. The Harding O-line and receivers opened gaping holes that speedy RBs ran through for big chunk yardage. And halftime adjustments didn’tseem to slow the Harding offense down either.

Congratulations to the Mines for having a great season. The mines faithful should be happy recognizing they had a hell of a run with Matocha at the helm. He’s a special player.

Comment

Originally posted by GoneBlastin View Post
              I watched a little of mines before the game. You’re correct. When I saw 3-4, I knew HU would move the ball. It’s not a good plan.

Comment

Only way to stop Harding is with some DUDES on the Dline. That's what the NWs teams and GV had in common. It's also why I knew LR didn't have a chance. You can scheme all you want, but they do that option stuff everyday, all year long. No matter how much you prepare, there's no scheme you can really come up with that they can't adjust to. 4 monster Dlinemen and 4 baby monsters behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobo View Post
                  CSUP, like Harding this past weekend, proved that “defense” wins championships.

In 2014, Minnesota Mankato got to the natty by mowing over opponents with its overpowering offensive line and prolific running and passing game. Mankato, like Mines this past season, put up some gaudy regular season statistics averaging 44 points per game.

In the playoffs, Mankato beat Pittsburg State and Minnesota-Duluth (who beat Northwest Missouri State) before advancing to the semi-final game. Mankato easily beat Concord, 47 to 13, to advance to the natty in Kansas City.

Meanwhile, CSUP beat Angelo State and Ohio Dominican (who beat Ferris State) to advance to the semi-final game against West Georgia. West Georgia got into the semi-final game by beating Delta State and Valdosta State. CSUP beat West Georgia in a defensive struggle, 10 to 7, to win a trip to Kansas City.

CSUP shut out Mankato 13 to 0 to win the 2014 National Championship proving that defense, indeed, wins national championships (a belief that former CSUP HC John Wristen practiced and preached). T-Wolf fans are hoping that HC Phil Vigil will follow in his footsteps.
                  I would love to be able to see the 2014 Pueblo defense against this year's fantastic Harding offense.

Comment

Originally posted by DawgUp View Post
                    Only way to stop Harding is with some DUDES on the Dline. That's what the NWs teams and GV had in common. It's also why I knew LR didn't have a chance. You can scheme all you want, but they do that option stuff everyday, all year long. No matter how much you prepare, there's no scheme you can really come up with that they can't adjust to. 4 monster Dlinemen and 4 baby monsters behind them.
                    Another very key factor…. And NWM and GV both do/did this very well. Your back end guys have to consistently make tackles in the open field 1 on 1. GV safeties did a great job of that. Mines…… did not.

Comment

Scheme is most certainly a factor but always boils down to whether or not you have the “dudes.” Need a fast and physical front 7 and safeties/corners who tackle well in space

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post

I watched a little of mines before the game. You’re correct. When I saw 3-4, I knew HU would move the ball. It’s not a good plan.
                        Like most fans on this message board, I much prefer the 4-3 over a 3-4 defense. However, a 3-4 defense can be just as effective with the right personnel.

CSUP won the natty playing a 3-4 defense. BUT, the T-Wolves had a very talented defensive line. The starting NG was a 6-0 305 beast with enormous strength, quickness and speed. The DEs were perhaps the best in DII football. One won the Gene Upshaw Award two years in a row and signed with the Baltimore Ravens before playing in the Canadian Football League for seven years. The other was a Cliff Harris Small College Defensive Player of the Year finalist who signed with the Los Angeles Rams and is currently with the San Diego Chargers, and has been in the NFL eight years. The four LBs were physical, quick and could run down RBs of all stripes. The corners and safeties were unshakeable, fast and sure tacklers. One got an NFL mini-camp tryout.

Mankato’s offense went into the game with a dominant O-line that averaged 6-5 and over 300 pounds in size. It was used to mauling opponents. But CSUP’ defense was quicker and more physical than any Mankato had previously faced. In the end, the difference was physicality and speed. Plus, T-Wolf defenders allowed virtually no YAC. Mankato’s offense did not get untracked against CSUP ‘s talented 3-4 defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobo View Post

Like most fans on this message board, I much prefer the 4-3 over a 3-4 defense. However, a 3-4 defense can be just as effective with the right personnel.

CSUP won the natty playing a 3-4 defense. BUT, the T-Wolves had a very talented defensive line. The starting NG was a 6-0 305 beast with enormous strength, quickness and speed. The DEs were perhaps the best in DII football. One won the Gene Upshaw Award two years in a row and signed with the Baltimore Ravens before playing in the Canadian Football League for seven years. The other was a Cliff Harris Small College Defensive Player of the Year finalist who signed with the Los Angeles Rams and is currently with the San Diego Chargers, and has been in the NFL eight years. The four LBs were physical, quick and could run down RBs of all stripes. The corners and safeties were unshakeable, fast and sure tacklers. One got an NFL mini-camp tryout.

Mankato’s offense went into the game with a dominant O-line that averaged 6-5 and over 300 pounds in size. It was used to mauling opponents. But CSUP’ defense was quicker and more physical than any Mankato had previously faced. In the end, the difference was physicality and speed. Plus, T-Wolf defenders allowed virtually no YAC. Mankato’s offense did not get untracked against CSUP ‘s talented 3-4 defense.
                          I’m simply referring to 3-4 against the Flexbone.

Comment

Originally posted by Divisiontwo View Post

I’m simply referring to 3-4 against the Flexbone.
                            With 3 of the DL rotation (Fox, Allen, Bredl) in the 3-4 all having NFL calls and the rest of the defense being sure tacklers with great speed it would've made a great game to watch. One that can only be hypothetical of course but both units being mentioned are among the best to do it in D2 and would make for a great game no doubt. Not sure either team will enjoy that same level of dominance to be honest. You think...hope...it will happen again but there's no way to be sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Turbonium View Post

With 3 of the DL rotation (Fox, Allen, Bredl) in the 3-4 all having NFL calls and the rest of the defense being sure tacklers with great speed it would've made a great game to watch. One that can only be hypothetical of course but both units being mentioned are among the best to do it in D2 and would make for a great game no doubt. Not sure either team will enjoy that same level of dominance to be honest. You think...hope...it will happen again but there's no way to be sure.
                              Turbonium, it’s hard to say whether HC Vigil and staff can build a team like that of 2014. This past season Coach Vigil and company recruited some very talented players to Pueblo, several who started as true freshmen and had a good season. In fact, the offensive and defensive RMAC freshmen of the year were T-Wolves. The T-Wolves defense has room for improvement however. It gave up a lot of points and often tackled ball carriers above the waist giving away valuable YAC Yardage. The 2014 defense kept opponents to around 13 points and rarely gave opposing ball carriers valuable yards after contact.

CSUP’s game in Texas against Sam Houston State showed how good the 2014 T-Wolves defense was. Going into the game, the Bearkats were coming off a loss to LSU in Louisiana and expected to play a much easier DII opponent at home. CSUP quickly disabused Sam of that notion. The CSUP defense took control of the game from the get go and dominated the Bearkat’s offense throughout. At the end of the third quarter CSUP was up 44 to 7. Reserves played most of the fourth quarter, final score 47 5o 21.

Sam Houston was no FCS cupcake either. The Bearkats made the FCS playoffs that season and beat Jackson State and Villanova on their way to a semi-final loss to North Dakota State, the eventual national champion. At the presser after the game Sam’s coach explained that CSUP was not your ordinary DII team; that the CSUP team was made up of DI rejects, several of whom had flunked out of schools like the Air Force Academy. That was a falsehood use to rationalize the beat down his team had just taken.

I’m glad that CSUP has gone from a 3-4 defense to a 4-3 defense. It’s what successful teams around the country play. Time will tell whether CSUP can replicate what it accomplished in 2014.

By the way, CSUP is recruiting dawgs (Coach Prime’s word) to Pueblo. It just announced the commitment of a gunslinger from the Lone Star State. Cam McGuire, QB, 6'0” 200, a high schooler from Woodrow Wilson HS, Dallas, Texas. CSUP also signed Devin Larsen, QB, 6”5””, a transfer from Western New Mexico. I think he has one year of eligibility remaining.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X