Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

I thought Dennis was a done deal down to Nova?

I could send the limo down from Indiana if that's not the case. I'd even front the bill.

Comment

Hope he changes his mind since "in house" Ben was selected as head coach! In addition to the AD I'm looking forward to discussing who the next assistant Basketball coach might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguins87 View Post
        I know that in addition to Ullom, Herb Minch and Jay DeFruscio have applied.
        If DeFruscio gets the nod, he could bring in his daughter to jump start our Social Media presence! Seriously though, he'd be a good choice. Experience on a national stage as the AC for the Atlantic 10 Conference, former NBA assistant coach, ample experience as a winning HC for WJ (BOOOOO!!!) and AD experience at WJ (again, BOOOOO!!!). I think he would be able to bring outside perspective to a WLU athletic department that is populated by a lot of people that have been at WLU a long time. Not saying working at one place for a long time is bad but it does lead to a "that's the way WE have always done it" sort of mind set. Good to get an outside perspective that can bring in new and perhaps better ways of doing things.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
          Hope he changes his mind since "in house" Ben was selected as head coach! In addition to the AD I'm looking forward to discussing who the next assistant Basketball coach might be.
          I'm assuming Huffman is staying as an Asst Coach? I'd like Ben to bring in an experienced assistant from a program that runs a similar style as WLU. Also like to see them bring in a grad assistant or two.

Dennis could stay but I don't think he will. He wanted to go D1 and will get offers from D1's. It would be hard for him to say, "I've changed my mind and want to stay."

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
            I'm assuming Huffman is staying as an Asst Coach? I'd like Ben to bring in an experienced assistant from a program that runs a similar style as WLU. Also like to see them bring in a grad assistant or two.

Dennis could stay but I don't think he will. He wanted to go D1 and will get offers from D1's. It would be hard for him to say, "I've changed my mind and want to stay."
            I thought Dennis was a stud, and I still think he's a AA d2 guard in next few years, but I see a rocky transition to d1....doesn't finish layups and below average jump shooter..

I wouldn't be surprised if he went to NOVA, but would be if he goes d1...maybe calhoun should call him....what a twist of fate that would be...

Comment

Anybody hear from Marlon Moore, the big that committed in November, about his reaction to Ben being named coach? I saw Keegan and Yoakam we're behind it...

I think Nick Smith would fit wonderfully at WL...and I'd like him.

Why wouldn't Keegan and Arnold start next year? Dennis and Hoehn both gone...

Possible Starters:
              Monteroso
              Griffin
              Clay
              Arnold
              Brandon Smith

off bench
              Moore, FR
              Saban, FR
              French,
              Bolon R FR

Comment

Originally posted by IUP Extra Mile View Post
                Anybody hear from Marlon Moore, the big that committed in November, about his reaction to Ben being named coach? I saw Keegan and Yoakam we're behind it...

I think Nick Smith would fit wonderfully at WL...and I'd like him.

Why wouldn't Keegan and Arnold start next year? Dennis and Hoehn both gone...

Possible Starters:
                Monteroso
                Griffin
                Clay
                Arnold
                Brandon Smith

off bench
                Moore, FR
                Saban, FR
                French,
                Bolon R FR
                I see our starting five as:

Meinenger
                Griffin
                Gauz
                Monte
                Arnold

Principle subs:

Moore
                Smith
                French
                Primmer
                Saban
                Bolon
                Dyer

I wouldn't be totally surprised if they try to keep the redshirt on Saban but that will depend on how Arnold performs in preseason and the ability of one of WLU's MANY guards to be his principle backup at PG. It's funny looking at the 2017/18 roster on the WLU site...TEN guards and ONE forward!!!!

According to VC, Moore has signed his LOI with WLU so we effectively own his rights. Not that we would but I think we could keep him from playing this coming season if he chose to go elsewere.
                Last edited by boatcapt; 03-29-2017, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Dennis, who was at the announcement yesterday, said he is still leaving. "They already gave my money away."

Huffman back as top assistant. Look for the second hire to also be from the WLU tree.

Marlon Moore is on board. Will be a Topper.

Comment

Good answer.

Just a guess but if he was serious they'd just cut somebody else and free some coin.

Dennis to YSU is interesting. I agree he's not a P5 guy but he could play from Day 1 for Calhoun.

Nick Smith is interesting. His camp seemed to think he was a clear-cut D1 guy but the offers aren't coming. I could see him picking up some lower-tier, mid-major offers in the next month. I'd have to assume he already has a boatload of D2 offers. All these coaching changes free up spots at a lot of places. I've heard Robert Morris and St. Francis (PA) are interested in him.

Back to WL ... new coach is going to have to add a little size, isn't he? That's an awfully small lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by Penguins87 View Post
                      Dennis, who was at the announcement yesterday, said he is still leaving. "They already gave my money away."

Huffman back as top assistant. Look for the second hire to also be from the WLU tree.

Marlon Moore is on board. Will be a Topper.
                      That begs the question of who got Dennis' scholly $...someone internal or is there an inbound player we don't know about?

Comment

We gotta get some size! Northwest Missouri manhandled Fairmont inside and Fairmont had athletes with size.

Comment

Not sure on who got it. But if he wanted to be here, the money could be retrieved is my understanding.

Nick Smith is getting a few low-level D-I offers like Presbyterian. He would be a huge get here. Top-tier D-II is every bit as good if not better than low-level D-I. Toppers will try to close that one next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Sportsnut View Post
                            We gotta get some size! Northwest Missouri manhandled Fairmont inside and Fairmont had athletes with size.
                            You can combat size somewhat by hitting a very high % of your shots...not many chances to lose the rebounding battle when the ball is falling through the bottom of the net. That's all well and good on the offensive end but the only counter on the defensive end is stealing the ball before they can shoot it. Looks like we will see because we are incredibly short heading into next year! To win with such a short lineup, we are going to need to play blinding fast...hit a big % of our 3 tries...trade 3's for 2's...and force a lot of turnovers. We've done each of those in the past so we have the ability, but there is very little margin for error.

The returning seniors need to have the team in the gym ever day starting today!!!!! The air at the ARSC needs to be filled with arcing 3 pointer, after 3 pointer, after 3 pointer!!

Comment

Anyone know if both redshirts are staying

Comment

Pretty sure they are staying

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X