• Chevydude89
    replied
    Re: West Liberty Hilltopper Basketball

2nd half i could finally tune in. Win by 22

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Tried to tune in for a bit ... WL feed was unwatchable.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Re: Fairmont could be a threat

Fairmont also gave up 97 points to Bowie compared to Bowie scoring just 67 at IUP.

Granted, IUP is traditionally a strong defensive team but that's a big margin.

The WL/FSU games last year were pretty tight as I recall despite WL sweeping. Fairmont has a good team. I'm looking forward to seeing them up here in about 30 days.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Fairmont could be a threat

Fairmont dominated Findlay who was picked to win southern division of gliac. In watching the game Fairmont looked like d1 team and Findlay was outclassed athletically. Will be a big challenge. But as usual Fairmont takes their share of wacky, selfish shots and bonehead plays, which has served us in good stead in the past.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Bottom line is that we are 3-0. Crutch usually uses the early games as more a extended preseason rather than true games. Particulary this year because of so many changes, he is tinkering around with different line-up combinations to see who works best with who. I hope part of the tinkering is to focus our big on playing inside out. I'm not opposed to him taking a couple of 3 point shots (provided he's making most of them) but I would prefer that he be more attentive to offensive rebounding and scoring on put backs. Jump shooting teams by definition leave a lot of "trash" around the rim and Gross is our best option for cleaning that up.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
    Nights like these are when we need an inside game. 33% from 3 pt range is not going to win you many games particularly when over half your shots are from 3. Our one "big" jacked SEVEN three point tries, made TWO and got ZERO offensive rebounds! On the year he has TWO rebounds on the offensive end. That just ain't going to work when we start playing big boy teams. Against almost any MEC opponent and this would have been a pretty convincing L.
    33% translates to 50% for 2 pt. Goals, which isn't horrendous. Some areas for improvement imho:
    1. Need to pick up guys after a miss. D&e got too many wide open looks in transition for 3s.
    2. Need more offensive boards.
    3. I think Monterosa 3 pt. Shooting will improve now that he can focus on basketball. 3 pt shooting is affected by tight muscles as it demands great touch, more than shots around basket.
    4. When cold from outside, need to attack the basket and get fouled.

Thought d&e had good players and an excellent game plan to shorten the game and play zone and hope for cold shooting from outside.

Good learning experience that will help us in the future.

Leave a comment:

• Hilltoppernation
    replied

I agree, Westlib doesn't really draw much until the first conference game opener. It's a little sad, but Westlib nation has come to expect blowouts more often than not in the first few games, especially against teams picked to finish in the bottom half of their conferences. Our big man shooting 3's is not something new, it's just that he's not making as many as lets say a CJ Hester, but the lack of rebounding is quite alarming though. Monteroso is not a 3 point shooter, he's more of a slasher/creature, and I would be shocked if he took more than (3) three pointers per game, it's just not what he does. I am surprised at West Liberty's defense though...they have really tightened up on that end, so the days of them just trading baskets and attempting to outscore you might not be the total philosophy anymore. I think Crutch might be trying to turn his roster over a little to guys who can score but also lock you down.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Those games will happen ... wins are wins. At least the cold night comes with a weak opponent in town.

Your attendance has been surprisingly low down there through three games.
    WLU traditionally seems to under reports attendance. You either go to the game or watch on TV and the see the "official" attendance and think "no way that is even close to accurate." I also note that the first two games were on a holiday weekend and D&E is also not a very big draw.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Those games will happen ... wins are wins. At least the cold night comes with a weak opponent in town.

Your attendance has been surprisingly low down there through three games.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

Nights like these are when we need an inside game. 33% from 3 pt range is not going to win you many games particularly when over half your shots are from 3. Our one "big" jacked SEVEN three point tries, made TWO and got ZERO offensive rebounds! On the year he has TWO rebounds on the offensive end. That just ain't going to work when we start playing big boy teams. Against almost any MEC opponent and this would have been a pretty convincing L.

Leave a comment:

• FlyHawk98
    replied

D&E kept it much closer than I expected.

West Lib wins 87-74.

Hoehn lead the way with 27 points. Dennis with 15, Grossenbacher with 15.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

It's WAY early to pass judgment, good or bad, on this years team but I will anyway:

What I Like:

Seven players averaging double figures.
    Eight players averaging 10+ minutes and our top minute getter at 26.5 PG.
    Eric Meineger looking like he will be the guy to step up (16 PPG average...692 shooting %).
    Dan Monteroso - If this is him "rusty," the future is bright (13.5 PPG...703 shooting %)
    Clay Gauillozet - True freshman has had two solid games off as the first man off the bench.
    Rebounding - Grossenbscher is leading the way but we have five guys averaging 4 per game.

Don't like:

3 pt shooting % - .375 ain't going to cut it.
    Grossenbacher at #2 in 3 pt attempts - He is our big and I'd prefer he spend more time inside.
    Too few offensive rebounds. Critical if we are going to shoot a lower than expected 3 pt %.
    Monteroso 0 for 2 from 3. I appreciate he is rusty and not wanting to force his shot, but we need him to take/make about 4 per game minimum.

But on average, I'm pretty happy with what I've seen. Address the rough areas and we could be a very good team!

Leave a comment:

• FlyHawk98
    replied

Won't be close. Not sure why West Lib even scheduled these guys. One of the few games that won't be a sell out because people don't want to waste their time.

West Lib by as many as they want. Could possibly win by 40.

Leave a comment:

• boatcapt
    replied

On tap tonight is D&E. Traditionally, D&E is not much of a challenge for the Toppers but the Senators did take Cal to OT before falling to them.

I see D&E hanging close for the first half but fading down the stretch to lose by 25 in what will amount to a scrimmage for the Toppers.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

haha ... I actually heard Fairmont shot fairly well the other day.

You should be at the KCAC tonight. Joe may be a home dog in Vegas ... that's pretty rare.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X