Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2017-18 Mountain East Conference Basketball Thread

Fairmont is having a strange season. Lose by 2 at a real good Findlay then struggle with a Charleston team Seton Hill hammered.

Probably some growing pains. Certainly some talent on the roster. I think they'll be OK.

Shepherd is the odd one ... ND, too.

Comment

Final Scores from Wednesday, November 29
      UVA-Wise 83 WV State 81 Final
      Fairmont St. 69 Glenville St. 64 Final
      Wheeling Jesuit 91 Notre Dame 80 Final
      West Liberty 115 Urbana 86 Final
      Concord 77 Charleston 72 Final
      Shepherd 82 WV Wesleyan 64 Final
      Last edited by cavsfan94; 12-01-2017, 06:26 AM.

Comment

Comment

That explains some things. I was wondering about them this year. He's a beast.

Comment

I realize this thread has been about MBB, but MEC WBB has been a significant factor in the ATLANTIC REGION recently. Two thoughts about the early going. GSU WBB has been performing like the preseason favorite they are...in conference. But their early trip to the PSAC EAST didn't turn out too well with a loss to WCU and a squeaker W at B'BURG, so the conference may not be as big a player this year.
            Second thought that maybe some MEC followers can help me with. GSU WBB must have a major issue with SHEPHERD WBB if yesterdays game is any indicator....133-61 ???? 4 qtrs of 30+ pts. That scoring rate is the NBA equivilant of 160-73 !! WHY ??? This is supposed to be good sportsmanship driven college sports with the post game handshake and all. Does COACH STEPHENS have some personal issue with SU or their new coach ? In recent years, CALU WBB basketball could certainly have done something similar to some of their opponents, but have generally pulled back and allowed the loser some degree of respect. Puzzling ???
            Last edited by CALUPA69; 12-05-2017, 07:26 PM. Reason: missing letter

Comment

I've been following Jerrod Calhoun's first year at Youngstown State.

He's in a major project. The team is awful. His team at Fairmont last season would beat his current team by 25 points (minimum).

I think he'll get it going there in a couple classes. Their only two wins are against D3 teams ... and they struggled mightily against Westminster (PA).

He's playing some big boys soon. It's going to be a rough year. Their message boards are getting on him already ... saying his offense can't work in D1. That's comical.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                I've been following Jerrod Calhoun's first year at Youngstown State.

He's in a major project. The team is awful. His team at Fairmont last season would beat his current team by 25 points (minimum).

I think he'll get it going there in a couple classes. Their only two wins are against D3 teams ... and they struggled mightily against Westminster (PA).

He's playing some big boys soon. It's going to be a rough year. Their message boards are getting on him already ... saying his offense can't work in D1. That's comical.
                This would have been a perfect "test bed" for the Crutch System at the D1 level. But Calhoun is a traditional style coach and he apparently will try to do it the traditional way. Much will depend on his ability to get elite D1 program transfers to come to YSU. Perfect situation...three years until YSU becomes respectable.

Comment

Fairmont beats Wheeling in a tight one.

I'll say this ... if that game was played in a PSAC gym both starting fives are fouled out before half time.

That was cool to watch ... they let them beat the heck out of each other.

Comment

WL vs Fairmont Saturday should be a good one, going to be my first game of the season I go to

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                      Fairmont beats Wheeling in a tight one.

I'll say this ... if that game was played in a PSAC gym both starting fives are fouled out before half time.

That was cool to watch ... they let them beat the heck out of each other.
                      PSAC refs are there to keep the games from turning into MMA matches. MEC refs are more inclined to let them play knowing that, while it may get rough at times, the games are probably not going to spin completely out of control.

Comment

Let's Go Charleston!
                        Western New Mexico Mustangs

Comment

Connellsville High School (WPIAL Class 5A) senior guard/forward Seth Younkin (6'6", 220 lbs) has committed to Fairmont State.

Comment

The Lemoyne (aka Gannon North) at Fairmont State is a nice game out of the Christmas break. I'll be paying close attention.

You'll also see Washington Post columnist and ESPN poker analyst (and former PTI regular sub) Norman Chad tweeting about the result. His stepson is LeMoyne (and one of their Gannon transfers) Isaiah Eisendorf. Chad is quite engaged in the team -- watches every game on the webcast.

Comment

Updated Standings (after 1/27 games)
                              Rank Team Overall Record (Conference Record)
                              1. West Liberty 18-0 (13-0)
                              2. Wheeling Jesuit 15-4 (11-3)
                              3. Fairmont St. 14-5 (10-3)
                              4. WV State 12-7 (10-3)
                              5. Charleston 12-8 (8-6)
                              6. Shepherd 12-8 (8-6)
                              7. Concord 10-8 (7-6)
                              8. UVA-Wise 8-12 (6-8)
                              9. Notre Dame 5-15 (3-11)
                              10. WV Wesleyan 2-17 (2-11)
                              11. Glenville St. 3-16 (2-12)
                              12. Urbana 3-16 (2-12)

Comment

Fairmont up 34-19 on West Liberty, 9:21 left first half. Vicious pace.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X