Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2016-17 Mountain East Conference Men's Basketball Thread

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    Come on no heated debates all year .... we got soft !

I wouldn't want to bet on the regional put it that way. I think legitimately 6-7 teams could be in the mix if on a hot run.
    I probably would only go to 4 with legit shots but that IS many more than recently when it has been a two team race. If 5, 6 or 7 win I'll be surprised, but not shocked!

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
      Yet, you started by making comparisons.

I think the jury is now out on WJ after their last two games and losing 3 of their last 5. No crime losing to Fairmont or WLU but the UC loss made me seriously question how good they are. Maybe losing to WLU in 2OT just shook them and they may yet right the ship down the stretch.

I would also point out that the jury is similarly out now on Ship.
      It's even more so now that they're going through the second round of PSAC East competition. Ship won't be sneaking up on anyone left on their schedule.
      Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

I'm pretty sure one of jesuits starters got busted for a couple things by the cops so they may be falling apart not sure if he played in the fairmont game

Comment

I saw Goddard and Lawson didn't play. Interesting.

Comment

STANDINGS (as of the beginning of 2/9/17 games)
            T1. Fairmont St.
            T1. West Liberty
            3. Wheeling Jesuit
            4. Shepherd
            5. Notre Dame
            6. WV Wesleyan
            7. Charleston
            T8. Urbana
            T8. Glenville St.
            10. UVA-Wise
            T11. Concord
            T11. WV State

Comment

Not one but TWO upsets in the MEC...

Concord upsets #2 West Liberty 107-104
              UVA-Wise upsets #18 Wheeling Jesuit 83-81

Comment

Wheeling Jesuit getting upset just made things a lot more interesting and certainly gave East Stroudsburg -- and possibly Gannon -- a big boost.

If Wheeling loses to West Liberty in two weeks and then again in the MEC Tournament (both fairly likely) ... it will be an interesting bubble.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  Wheeling Jesuit getting upset just made things a lot more interesting and certainly gave East Stroudsburg -- and possibly Gannon -- a big boost.

If Wheeling loses to West Liberty in two weeks and then again in the MEC Tournament (both fairly likely) ... it will be an interesting bubble.
                  This also presumes that either Virginia Union or Virginia State wins the CIAA tournament. If we end up seeing a Livingstone or Winston-Salem - or, for that matter, a non-Virginia team - winning in Charlotte in a couple weeks, then you can through that bubble out the window.
                  Cal U (Pa.) Class of 2014

Comment

It could get interesting, but Wheeling Jesuit holds the head-to-head win over both East Stroudsburg and Gannon, as well as Virginia Union.

Comment

True ... but, can the suddenly hot Concord keep it going today against Wheeling?

Something tells me Wise is going to take the blunt of WL frustration and lose by 65 today.

Comment

Wise is a young and upcoming team and in another conference (not saying the PSAC as I have a lot of respect for it going to college there) they would have a better record. Gave West Lib. a good game. WJU took control from the start today at Concord in a tip-to-end win today in an important game for it.

Looks like, for now, the balance reset itself today.

Wise, though, is building a good foundation where Concord is a veteran team.
                        Last edited by pennbraz; 02-11-2017, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Pretty interesting week coming up. You have to give Shepherd credit for winning this week when other teams around them in the regional rankings lost. East Stroudsburg, Virginia Union, Virginia State and Wheeling Jesuit all lost this week. It could be interesting if Shepherd moves any in the regional rankings this week. The UC win on the road is a good one. The WV State win doesn't do a whole lot, but it is a win. Shepherd gets Wesleyan at home and Fairmont on the road. I give a lot of credit to Namolik this season. There is a chance they could finish third in the MEC.

Glenville State hosting Fairmont is interesting. Glenville hasn't technically sealed a MEC bid, although they do have a two-game lead on Concord and Urbana heading into this week. Some of those lower seeds in the MEC tourney can give a lot of problems on quarterfinal day. That was shown last season.

I hate to bring this up, but is Bryan Poore safe at WV State. They have gone 10-19, 13-14 , 6-25 , 6-22....the past four season and currently sit at 6-20 and have already been guaranteed a last place finish and no MEC tournament bid. He has a real young team this season. I think they will give him one more season. But they have a new AD there and the new facility is two years old. 6-25, 6-22 and 6-20 for the last three seasons doesn't look real good when getting evaluated. I know he had some great teams in the 2000s, but they appear to have lost all of that momentum and are having trouble getting any back.

You can pay $30 general admission book for the tourney and get 20 games out of that. That is a steal. It is $12 per session at the door. If you are going down, it is crazy not to buy a book. If you go to three sessions, the book pays for itself and more.

Comment

This is it...the last day of the regular season.

GAMES TODAY
                            Shepherd @ Fairmont St.
                            Concord @ UVA-Wise
                            WV Wesleyan @ Glenville St.
                            Urbana @ Notre Dame
                            Charleston @ WV State
                            West Liberty @ Wheeling Jesuit

Comment

MEC Women's Basketball Tournament Bracket: https://twitter.com/TheMountainEast/...28197752496128
                              MEC Men's Basketball Tournament Bracket: https://twitter.com/TheMountainEast/...55660134092800
                              Last edited by cavsfan94; 02-25-2017, 07:04 PM.

Comment

It is kind of interesting those first two men's games. The winners get a game under their belt in the 12,000 seat arena, get a day to prep and then play the higher seed Friday. Not too bad for them.

If Charleston can turn their recent slide around, they can be a tough #8 seed in their backyard. They have proven, at times this season, that they can play with the top teams.

The Glenville-UVA Wise game will be good. Wise seems to have played well lately and Glenville has been a tough out in Charleston lately.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X