Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: IUP & Related PSAC WBB

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
    Likely has to do with those other factors. As you say if she wanted that job, she certainly has the credentials. JESS STROM is in a similar situation. Notable college career followed by a short pro stint and the a smooth transition to coaching. She has the ultimate success as a coach but seems content to be a big frog in a small pond. UNLESS the PSU job opens up and then these former teammates may be in serious competition for the same job. If I remember correctly COQUESE WASHINGTON'S contract is up this year and hasn't yet been renewed. We will see.
    I expect Coquese Washington to be GONE in short order after this year.

Comment

KELLY MAZZANTE and JESS STROM will undoubtedly see each other in STATE COLLEGE this week to honor their great COACH RENE PORTLAND. She passed away today from cancer and certainly left behind a legacy of high achieving players and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
        KELLY MAZZANTE and JESS STROM will undoubtedly see each other in STATE COLLEGE this week to honor their great COACH RENE PORTLAND. She passed away today from cancer and certainly left behind a legacy of high achieving players and coaches.
        I have no idea on that. But it sounds like Portland was a very divisive figure. Maybe some former players have distanced themselves from her over the years. I seem to recall a former IHS WBB standout player in the early '80s who went to State to play for Portland and it sounded like she was more or less chased out over Portland's issues with the player's sexual orientation or the perception of it. She transferred to IUP to finish her career.

Folks can say what they want about Portland---but in the final analysis it sounded like she was a major bigot. Though I'm sure it was a pretty selective prejudice if the player in question could really play.

Personally, I really don't care what people do in their private lives one way or another. But having been an observer of PSAC WBB over the past 15 years or more there certainly is a rather strong lesbian subculture to the sport. It is what it is. It's there.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUP CRIMSON HAWKS View Post
          I have no idea on that. But it sounds like Portland was a very divisive figure. Maybe some former players have distanced themselves from her over the years. I seem to recall a former IHS WBB standout player in the early '80s who went to State to play for Portland and it sounded like she was more or less chased out over Portland's issues with the player's sexual orientation or the perception of it. She transferred to IUP to finish her career.

Folks can say what they want about Portland---but in the final analysis it sounded like she was a major bigot. Though I'm sure it was a pretty selective prejudice if the player in question could really play.

Personally, I really don't care what people do in their private lives one way or another. But having been an observer of PSAC WBB over the past 15 years or more there certainly is a rather strong lesbian subculture to the sport. It is what it is. It's there.

-
          Bigot may be a bit strong. She came from an era where her position was the norm into one were she was clearly out of step. That's happened to a lot of coaches over 27 years. And HAPPY VALLEY is certainly not a bastion of liberal cultural values. I was a bit surprised to read in one of her obits that she had resigned rather than being dismissed after the lawsuit was settled.
          It is certainly true that WBB has been fairly open for some time and the sport has prospered partly because the media, professional and social, has chosen to focus on the game.

Comment

Tom has a late addition ...

Guard/Forward (6'0) Natalie Myers has joined the team from Youngstown State. She'll have two years eligibility. Started 14 games at YSU as a freshman and 7 as a sophomore. Can shoot the trey. Played high school locally at Burrell.

This looks like a very strong add.

Comment

That's 14 players on the roster. The cupboard is rather well-stocked.

Irish Tom is a very interesting recruiter.

-

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Tom has a late addition ...

Guard/Forward (6'0) Natalie Myers has joined the team from Youngstown State. She'll have two years eligibility. Started 14 games at YSU as a freshman and 7 as a sophomore. Can shoot the trey. Played high school locally at Burrell.

This looks like a very strong add.
                She's a good player, saw her in HS...is she eligible this year? IF so, that's a great add

Comment

Eligible immediately. You hanging in the Kiski Valley?

Comment

Tom landed his first one for next year. Josie Smith, power forward, from New Albany High School.

Credentials are a mile long.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X