Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vulcans mbb sancomb era...

I don't see DS having much success in the parochial arena. Coming from that background myself I know there were very few students with that background. WBB has one CANEVIN grad on the current roster and another coming in this year. Curiously the only other VULCAN athlete that comes to mind from a parochial hs was an offensive lineman from 91-94, team captain and PSAC WEST first team and that is FB HC GARY DUNN out of SETON-LASALLE. Maybe he can give DS some numbers to call.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
      Like it or not, many D1 and D2 programs are building teams with transfers, including schools in the PSAC. Sancomb appears willing to start from scratch with both high school recruits and even an ass't who has no experience at all in the PSAC and not much overall recruiting experience having graduated from WJU in 2015. Building from scratch requires patience. I am sure there are players on the way to increase the current Cal roster size of 5. But the timing of McBride's departure definitely presents challenges for 2018-19.

You got it. The whole culture has changed. And, of course, the players have led the revolution -- transferring at record numbers.

One PSAC West coach told me personally he hates recruiting high school players. Too much drama -- mainly from the parents. He said they are already agitated that little Johnny isn't at Duke or Syracuse. So few are anywhere near ready to play at this level as true freshmen. Most need to redshirt which typically opens the next can of worms. Then ... poof ... they turn into pumpkins a week after the season ends. Wasted time and money for all involved.

CALUPA69 don't panic as I'm not shifting this to Joe but just as an example ... the vast majority of players he's had transfer out were almost all high school recruits. I'm sure there's been one but I can't recall any transfer imports who have then left to go somewhere else. Joe rarely takes a one-year transfer unless it's one they can't pass up (like this year or a Shawn Dyer).

I think many D2 coaches prefer to get the kid who was perhaps a D1 reach, got there and realized he may be best suited down a level. They tend to be much more loyal to the program. So much of it is the coach, too. Is it just a basketball team or is it really a family-oriented program culture. There's a massive, massive difference between the two. Joe has the latter. Sancomb had it at WJ. West Liberty has it. There aren't many. There's a reason the same teams get wiped out with outgoing transfers year after year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
        So much of it is the coach, too. Is it just a basketball team or is it really a family-oriented program culture. There's a massive, massive difference between the two.
        Dang, BigIndian! Excellent insight.

Comment

Originally posted by PSACwatcher View Post
          Like it or not, many D1 and D2 programs are building teams with transfers, including schools in the PSAC. Sancomb appears willing to start from scratch with both high school recruits and even an ass't who has no experience at all in the PSAC and not much overall recruiting experience having graduated from WJU in 2015. Building from scratch requires patience. I am sure there are players on the way to increase the current Cal roster size of 5. But the timing of McBride's departure definitely presents challenges for 2018-19.
          PATIENCE. Well, as a long-time Vulcan Basketball supporter, I can tell you that we've been runnin' on EMPTY in the "patience" department for many a moon. I thought we were on the right track with Coach McBride. I expected this being his third year, we would've finally turned the corner. But it is now impossible. Our one bright spot, (Howze) has now vanished, leaving the rest of the team looking at one another with "deer-in-the-headlights" faces.
          Of course, we'll support Coach Sancomb, and watch him try to patch together a team. Starting over again with McBride was fun while it lasted. But it had begun to get exasperating...with injuries, inconsistent play, and now starting from square one again..
          Sorry to go on and on about this, but I'm sure you get my drift. Best of luck to ALL the PSAC West teams this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Feedoggie View Post
            PATIENCE. Well, as a long-time Vulcan Basketball supporter, I can tell you that we've been runnin' on EMPTY in the "patience" department for many a moon. I thought we were on the right track with Coach McBride. I expected this being his third year, we would've finally turned the corner. But it is now impossible. Our one bright spot, (Howze) has now vanished, leaving the rest of the team looking at one another with "deer-in-the-headlights" faces.
            Of course, we'll support Coach Sancomb, and watch him try to patch together a team. Starting over again with McBride was fun while it lasted. But it had begun to get exasperating...with injuries, inconsistent play, and now starting from square one again..
            Sorry to go on and on about this, but I'm sure you get my drift. Best of luck to ALL the PSAC West teams this year.
            I would be feeling much as you do if VULCANS BB was ONLY MBB. Though I was optimistic with the hiring of MCBRIDE, I am not going to go all in until there is consistent competitive play for several seasons. It may be too simplistic, but I want to have the same confidence in MBB that I have in WBB. There have been very few games in the last 15 years when a VULCANS WBB team took the court that I didn't feel confident that if they played to their ability a W was the likely outcome. The men's game is much tougher but schools like IUP, WLU and recently SHIP and GANNON have developed the kind of consistency that used to be the trademark of CALU MBB. I remain confident it will be again...hopefully sooner rather than later.

Comment

Tough blow for your roster this late. Hopefully you can piece something together for the season

Comment

Comment

Hard to figure player. He was quite a star in NJ hs ball which is a pretty decent level and the first recruit when the new coach took the job. But he never really got into any games for whatever reason. Probably should have left after first year. Blowing off a year of eligibility for two minutes of PT seems foolish. HS highlights indicate he's a decent player but time will tell.

Comment

Not many 6'4" forwards playing in the Big Ten. I assume he was a walk-on there?

Comment

Bullock was not a walk on at Rutgers. He was Steve Pikell's first scholarship recruit when he took the Rutgers job.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        Not many 6'4" forwards playing in the Big Ten. I assume he was a walk-on there?
                        Nope, first commit of the current coach, Steve Pikiell,. Had other offers from Wagner, St Peters and Fairfield but chose RU. I suspect he was envisioned as another ROUND MOUND, but we all know SIR CHARLES was one of a kind. Could be an average to above average D2 player. But this is all just rumor so far.

Comment

Just posted on CALU page DS has hired STEVEN BRIDGEMAN as his new ASST COACH. He played 3 seasons at WJU and spent the last two seasons as Grad. Asst. there. Good choice.
                          Last edited by CALUPA69; 08-06-2018, 10:27 AM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

This just in....from NYTIMES reporter @AdamZagoria, Matt Bullock is indeed transferring to CAL U. This was confirmed by Coach Steve Pikiell of RU. Have no idea how his skills will fit in, but at this point I'll settle for a healthy body.

Comment

Almost an identical size match to Edinboro's Trey Staunch. Those guys aren't easy to move around.

Comment

Cal men's schedule is posted.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X