Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CIAA Tournament

I must say this has been one of the most exciting start to the tournament I have witnessed in a very long time. On the men side, 7th seed JCSU has won on 2 buzzer beaters. St. Aug beat Lincoln in the last minute and ECSU beat WSSU in the last minute. All games have been decided by 3 points or less. Is JCSU this year's Cinderella or will their luck run out tomorrow against VUU? The CIAA twitter feeds gives highlights of the games if you decide to follow them.

Re: CIAA Tournament

Originally posted by kjb0615 View Post
    I must say this has been one of the most exciting start to the tournament I have witnessed in a very long time. On the men side, 7th seed JCSU has won on 2 buzzer beaters. St. Aug beat Lincoln in the last minute and ECSU beat WSSU in the last minute. All games have been decided by 3 points or less. Is JCSU this year's Cinderella or will their luck run out tomorrow against VUU? The CIAA twitter feeds gives highlights of the games if you decide to follow them.

There's a whole lot of teams in the PSAC and MEC cheering for Virginia State to win this thing.

I saw today Amir Hinton was named CIAA Player of the Year.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      There's a whole lot of teams in the PSAC and MEC cheering for Virginia State to win this thing.

I saw today Amir Hinton was named CIAA Player of the Year.
      I want to see the Cinderella!

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
        I want to see the Cinderella!
        VSU goes down ... man. That will be crazy trying to pick those last couple spots.

Comment

JCSU looks like an entirely different team the past couple of games. I still think it's going to be a Shaw/VSU final but anything can happen. Can't wait to watch the games tonight.

If you want to check out the JSCU's win today, here it is. https://twitter.com/CIAAForLife/stat...09045718511616.

Comment

VUU girls up 31 at the half against Livingstone (60-29). Shareka McNeil (CIAA player of the year) 38 pts in the half 9-9 3pt field goals. Whew!
            Last edited by kjb0615; 02-27-2019, 05:00 PM.

Comment

Shareka McNeil is the truth! 59 in a D2 tournament game is beyond amazing.

Amir Hinton is overrated. I have never seen a player continuously trip through the lane, get fouled and score most of his points at the foul line. He leads the NCAA in free throw attempts. I wish people stop hyping this guy up.

On the other hand if I was a WNBA scout I would be seriously considering drafting Shareka McNeil when her time comes. She's small but can get buckets. There coach is to be commended. She gets these women to come to VUU.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

Amir Hinton is overrated. I have never seen a player continuously trip through the lane, get fouled and score most of his points at the foul line. He leads the NCAA in free throw attempts. I wish people stop hyping this guy up.

On the other hand if I was a WNBA scout I would be seriously considering drafting Shareka McNeil when her time comes. She's small but can get buckets. There coach is to be commended. She gets these women to come to VUU.
                Come on... Hinton can play and he's the best in that league bar none!

Comment

Johnson C. Smith ... three wins in three days.

They get Virginia Union at 2 p.m. today.

Comment

Originally posted by GoVSUTrojans View Post

Dude,

You obviously don't understand the nuances of the game when referencing Amir Hinton. He is by far one of the best in the league if not the nation at the d2 level. There were more than 15 NBA scouts at the game last night watching him play. He is constantly double/triple teamed on every possession and still manages to score 30ppg. He plays outstanding defense and has a high level basketball IQ. If you can't appreciate what he does day in and day out, you really don't know basketball. He gets to the ft line just because he has amazing body control in the air and knows how to draw contact. Please watch and understand the entire body of work before criticizing. BTW, he dropped damn near 40 against VSU.

Shareka McNeil had an amazing game and is definitely a baller. She's at VUU because she want's to play with her sister. All D1 schools wanted her only and the VUU coach took them both. Her sister has been hurt and is just getting back into playing shape. She's not a prolific scorer as her sister but plays suffocating defense. Shareka has issues with fast/ taller guards (Bowie State) so playing in the WNBA may be a little bit of a stretch. I'm not saying she doesn't have the skill set but seeing her struggle against taller/faster guards is something to consider.

Comment

Dude,

You obviously don't understand the nuances of the game when referencing Amir Hinton. He is by far one of the best in the league if not the nation at the d2 level. There were more than 15 NBA scouts at the game last night watching him play. He is constantly double/triple teamed on every possession and still manages to score 30ppg. He plays outstanding defense and has a high level basketball IQ. If you can't appreciate what he does day in and day out, you really don't know basketball. He gets to the ft line just because he has amazing body control in the air and knows how to draw contact. Please watch and understand the entire body of work before criticizing. BTW, he dropped damn near 40 against VSU.

Shareka McNeil had an amazing game and is definitely a baller. She's at VUU because she want's to play with her sister. All D1 schools wanted her only and the VUU coach took them both. Her sister has been hurt and is just getting back into playing shape. She's not a prolific scorer as her sister but plays suffocating defense. Shareka has issues with fast/ taller guards (Bowie State) so playing in the WNBA may be a little bit of a stretch. I'm not saying she doesn't have the skill set but seeing her struggle against taller/faster guards is something to consider.

Nailed it. If Hinton had more talent around him he'd be unstoppable. He's pretty much a one-man show at Shaw and team's still can't stop him. I don't know his academic standing but if he can graduate early he should definitely grad transfer up to D1.

Comment

Today's Quarterfinal Games:

Men:

Livingstone/Bowie State -- Interesting matchup. I like Livingstone in this one. Bowie is just too inconsistent for my liking. They played well yesterday but I think LU is the more disciplined team. Livingstone by 4.

Virginia Union/JC Smith --- Will Cinderella crash the ball again tonight? VUU beat JCSU earlier this year but it's tourney time so hey, anything can happen. I think JCSU will come down to earth today and succumb to VUU's pressure defense. VUU by 10

Women:

Lincoln/JC Smith -- JC Smith has hit their stride and should roll in todays game. Blair Thomas is finally healthy and should dominate on the inside. Lincoln only dresses 7 players and they have to be almost out of gas right? I'm taking JCSC by 8 today.

ECSU/Bowie State -- BSU will be too much for ECSU. Nothing else to say. BSU by 20+.

Wouldn't surprise me if I'm totally wrong picking the Men's bracket. It's the CIAA so expect the unexpected lol.

Comment

Well,

I was 2-2 picking the men's bracket and 0-2 picking the women's bracket.

I don't know what this does to BSU's chances in the regional standings but they seem to be playing some uninspired basketball lately. I hope they get it together when/if they make the regional dance.

Lincoln girls are playing some inspired basketball right now. Too bad it ends today. VUU should win rather easily as they have the interior size and Shameka McNeil is on fire. Should be an exciting day of basketball.

VUU/Shaw --- This is a pickem for me. I like Shaw in this one but VUU plays well on the big stage. They match up at damn near every position but the key to Shaw winning is someone stepping up on the offensive end to take the load off Hinton. He cramped up at the end of the the last game so if he has to play close to 40 minutes again, that should concern the Shaw faithful.

Will Jenkins shows up every year at the CIAA tournament and plays out of his mind. VUU doesn't shoot a ton of 3's but I think they need to hit a minimum of 6 today to have a chance of winning.

VSU/Livingstone -- VSU is the more disciplined team and should take this one. Livingstone's front court will present all kinds of problems for VSU's big men. They have a set of 6-10 twins that are athletic and can jump out the gym. They don't shoot particularly well and if VSU can clog the paint and make them shoot mid range shots, VSU should make it's way to the championship round.

They headliner tonight IMO is Shaw/VUU. All the games are shown today on the Aspire Cable Channel if you have it in your area. The first game tips off at 1:00 p.m.

Good luck to all the teams today.
                          Last edited by kjb0615; 03-01-2019, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Well,

I was 2-2 picking the men's bracket and 0-2 picking the women's bracket.

I don't know what this does to BSU's chances in the regional standings but they seem to be playing some uninspired basketball lately. I hope they get it together when/if they make the regional dance.

Lincoln girls are playing some inspired basketball right now. Too bad it ends today. VUU should win rather easily as they have the interior size and Shameka McNeil is on fire. Should be an exciting day of basketball.

VUU/Shaw --- This is a pickem for me. I like Shaw in this one but VUU plays well on the big stage. They match up at damn near every position but the key to Shaw winning is someone stepping up on the offensive end to take the load off Hinton. He cramped up at the end of the the last game so if he has to play close to 40 minutes again, that should concern the Shaw faithful.

Will Jenkins shows up every year at the CIAA tournament and plays out of his mind. VUU doesn't shoot a ton of 3's but I think they need to hit a minimum of 6 today to have a chance of winning.

VSU/Livingstone -- VSU is the more disciplined team and should take this one. Livingstone's front court will present all kinds of problems for VSU's big men. They have a set of 6-10 twins that are athletic and can jump out the gym. They don't shoot particularly well and if VSU can clog the paint and make them shoot mid range shots, VSU should make it's way to the championship round.

They headliner tonight IMO is Shaw/VUU. All the games are shown today on the Aspire Cable Channel if you have it in your area. The first game tips off at 1:00 p.m.

Good luck to all the teams today.
                            So, if you don't have Aspire is there no other way to watch?

Comment

You can watch on the CIAA network. It's a paid service for the CIAA tournament games on http://theciaasn.com. I believe it's 8 bucks per game or 50 bucks for the entire tournament. I believe those are the only 2 ways to watch the tournament this year. I believe last year it was free.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X