Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrub
    replied
    Jordan Burton (starting PG) leaving NDC.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

Actually, IUP has zero in the portal. The one player listed was "placed" in the portal way back in December but ended up playing in the 3 games with IUP recently.
    Correct. VC isn't the portal. It's a source. We don't have access to the actual portal.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
    keeping an eye on teams in our "area" as far as transfers...
    Alderson Broaddus - 6
    Cal PA - 3
    D&E - 5
    Fairmont St - 2
    Gannon - 1
    Glenville State - 4
    IUP - 1
    LeMoyne - 2
    Lock Haven - 1
    Mansfield - 1
    Mercyhurst - 1
    Notre Dame (OH) - 4
    Virginia State - 2
    Virginia U nion - 2

additionally....

Concordia NY - 16.... wtf? lol
    Actually, IUP has zero in the portal. The one player listed was "placed" in the portal way back in December but ended up playing in the 3 games with IUP recently.

Leave a comment:

• bballfan03
    replied
    keeping an eye on teams in our "area" as far as transfers...
    Alderson Broaddus - 6
    Cal PA - 3
    D&E - 5
    Fairmont St - 2
    Gannon - 1
    Glenville State - 4
    IUP - 1
    LeMoyne - 2
    Lock Haven - 1
    Mansfield - 1
    Mercyhurst - 1
    Notre Dame (OH) - 4
    Virginia State - 2
    Virginia U nion - 2

additionally....

Concordia NY - 16.... wtf? lol

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

And, of course, sometimes a transfer is warranted. These coaches all too often sell magic beans. Sometimes the school isn't a right fit for the player. The coach and staff put on a cheerleading show during recruitment and it turns out to be all an act. Those types of programs and coaches are certainly out there.

There's one program in the PSAC that will offer like 9 point guards in the same day. Whomever signs first gets the spot. That's tacky to me. It's not setting up a player-coach relationship. I know it's much harder to recruit for some schools than others.

I think the reason D2 sees so many mid-major transfers is these kids get sold a bill of goods. So many want to just Tweet they play D1 -- even if that 'D1' team wouldn't even be a Top 25 D2 team.

The one thing the transfer portal explosion is doing is it's keeping the rich teams rich. The strongest programs never need a whole class in basketball. They need to plug a hole here and there.

IUP or West Liberty needs a small forward? Go buy one. Here's a full ride and you'll win 25+ games. Or, you can take a half ride (or less) and go join the other 9 incoming transfers at XYZ State.

But, yes, the downside is there isn't room for everybody. There's only so much money. Some tough conversations are going to be held in the coming weeks.

I know inside the KCAC they may be making some cuts here soon. Joe needs to beef up a little bit this off-season. But, he needs some salary cap room to do it.
    Great points.

I think it is a little more challenging for WLU because of their style.
    I confirmed with one of the WLU players a few years ago that top level recruits want to come to WLU. But they must play in open gym first to experience how demanding the style is to play. Then they decide that this style is not for them. Win-win for both sides. The unselfishness requirement and sharing minutes also is a negative for some great players.

Have you seen how Bellarmine is doing in D1 competition? They finished 2nd in their conference and play Army in NCAA D1 tourney on 3/22. Supports your point about good D2s beating mid-majors.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Just speculation, but a downside of the free year is the potential effect on available scholarship $ for existing players. A non-starting senior may not receive the $ to return in the fall. A coach might allocate those $ to make room for a new player.
    And, of course, sometimes a transfer is warranted. These coaches all too often sell magic beans. Sometimes the school isn't a right fit for the player. The coach and staff put on a cheerleading show during recruitment and it turns out to be all an act. Those types of programs and coaches are certainly out there.

There's one program in the PSAC that will offer like 9 point guards in the same day. Whomever signs first gets the spot. That's tacky to me. It's not setting up a player-coach relationship. I know it's much harder to recruit for some schools than others.

I think the reason D2 sees so many mid-major transfers is these kids get sold a bill of goods. So many want to just Tweet they play D1 -- even if that 'D1' team wouldn't even be a Top 25 D2 team.

The one thing the transfer portal explosion is doing is it's keeping the rich teams rich. The strongest programs never need a whole class in basketball. They need to plug a hole here and there.

IUP or West Liberty needs a small forward? Go buy one. Here's a full ride and you'll win 25+ games. Or, you can take a half ride (or less) and go join the other 9 incoming transfers at XYZ State.

But, yes, the downside is there isn't room for everybody. There's only so much money. Some tough conversations are going to be held in the coming weeks.

I know inside the KCAC they may be making some cuts here soon. Joe needs to beef up a little bit this off-season. But, he needs some salary cap room to do it.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by Columbuseer View Post

Just speculation, but a downside of the free year is the potential effect on available scholarship $ for existing players. A non-starting senior may not receive the $ to return in the fall. A coach might allocate those $ to make room for a new player.
    That's a smart thought, Columbus. You might be right.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    IIisia Washington, Fairmont State, has entered the portal. Looks like he played in 17 games with no starts.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    IIisia Washington, Fairmont State, has entered the portal. Looks like he played in 17 games with no starts.
    This is unusual for a Koenig team. He seemed like he had success keeping his teams together back at NDC. Might just be a sign of the times. As IUPalum said, a crappy sign of the times, but a sign nonetheless.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Three of the Top Five leading scorers in D2 this year ... all in the portal.
    Wonder if they play D? Glenville certainly never played much of it.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Three of the Top Five leading scorers in D2 this year ... all in the portal.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I didn't realize the Williams kid who is leaving Glenville lead the country (D2) in scoring this season at more than 27 ppg.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

Wonder if Sanders follows same path.
    The fact that Sanders followed Koenig from NDC to FSU seems to suggest a connection there. I have a suspicion that Sanders would choose stick it out with his guy. But I could be wrong. Anything goes with these transfers these days!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

You may be right. He may be taking the Yahel Hill path of trying his hand at a mid-major D1. Can't fault a kid for dreaming. But, man, that's a tough break for Koenig down in Fairmont. He and Sanders were a dynamic duo for sure.
    Wonder if Sanders follows same path.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X