• Show
Clear All

• Scrub
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
    ** BREAKING **

DALE BONNER has entered the portal.

Fairmont State

I'll literally pay for the limo for IUP to send down there. Right now.

lol. But, seriously.

He's tight with Armoni ... summer workout buddies.

I assume he's 'going up'
    You may be right. He may be taking the Yahel Hill path of trying his hand at a mid-major D1. Can't fault a kid for dreaming. But, man, that's a tough break for Koenig down in Fairmont. He and Sanders were a dynamic duo for sure.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    ** BREAKING **

Fairmont State

lol. But, seriously.

I assume he's 'going up'
    Those righteous Duquesne Dukes have chartered a helicopter :-) (not that they would ever tamper - that would be unethical LOL)

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    ** BREAKING **

Fairmont State

lol. But, seriously.

I assume he's 'going up'
    Just saw it and rushed over here . . . only to find that you scooped me, IUPbig. This is a shocking one!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    ** BREAKING **

Fairmont State

lol. But, seriously.

I assume he's 'going up'

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied
    Imho coaches need to understand the player beyond the on court ability before offering a scholarship
    - winning a requirement?
    - want to be the main man?
    - compatible with coaching style and system?
    - why come to your school? Major, location, etc. And how serious about academics?
    - how much influence do handlers have?
    - does coach care about them off the court?

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Scrub View Post

I can't imagine being a fan of one of those programs and having to re-learn an entirely new roster every year. Almost like being a fan of a minor league baseball team. Better get a copy of the media guide, or you won't have a clue whom you're watching!

I don't know what approach I'd take as a coach at some of these schools with extreme transfer rates. On one hand you take the high school approach and really try to build it from the bottom. But, say you sign 8 high school kids ... 5 of them may be gone by the following season. As a coach (employee) ... how many years will you get to make your job secure?

You can take the transfer and JUCO path (the old Slippery Rock approach). Some years it will work. Other years it will be a disaster. Sometimes it will end in a total mutiny in the middle of camp.

If you can't establish a firm program culture, it's just going to be a revolving door.

I don't know what all went on behind the scenes at Glenville State or why all those kids left after just having a really good season. But, that's sickening to see.

Up here, California is going through the same thing. Sancomb has lost at least one stud every off-season so far.

It's easier than ever before to transfer. The numbers don't lie.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied

D&E seems to go through this yearly.
    I can't imagine being a fan of one of those programs and having to re-learn an entirely new roster every year. Almost like being a fan of a minor league baseball team. Better get a copy of the media guide, or you won't have a clue whom you're watching!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Gyasi Powell of D&E entered the portal. That's a pretty big loss for them.
    D&E seems to go through this yearly.

Leave a comment:

• Scrub
    replied
    Gyasi Powell of D&E entered the portal. That's a pretty big loss for them.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    I've been following Cal export Tim Smith Jr. on the Twitter front. His dad is pushing pretty hard in social media to many mid-major programs.

He's appealing at 6'7" and has a nice shot. He may get a Robert Morris type to take a shot on him. My guess, however, is he lands at another D2 -- likely a high-end one.

Leave a comment:

• Columbuseer
    replied

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Have you ever been to Glenville? Even Hickory High wouldn't feel comfortable in that area. I can't think people could convince me that being in BFE WV isn't at least 40% of the reason.
    I'm sure it's a factor -- likely a very large one.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Very odd happenings down at GSU.

Just when it looked like they were on the way back ...
    Have you ever been to Glenville? Even Hickory High wouldn't feel comfortable in that area. I can't think people could convince me that being in BFE WV isn't at least 40% of the reason.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    A fourth player from Glenville just entered the portal (Dierynck).

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    It's the old Slippery Rock conundrum. There are really talented players to be had in the JUCO and transfer portals. But it's often a bit of a "rental market." The long-term stability of some of those players is often difficult to count on.
    LOL, true. I always said ... no idea how KR pulled that off every year but he'd start every season basically from scratch and put together some really good, tough teams. He never had much NCAA success other than that big win over Gannon in 2014-15 in Round 1.

That's a funny story in itself. That Gannon team went 3-0 vs Rock prior to that game ... swept the season series and blew SRU out in the PSAC Tournament a week prior. Fourth time was the charm.

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X