X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boatcapt
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post

It's an uneven playing field. No other way to say it.

We've often discussed my opinion on Clarion's football coach. Give him the IUP job (and resources) and his record would be incredible. Conversely, give Tort the Clarion job.

'Coaching' really helps -- but, also, it only goes so far. You need the horses. In football, you need a lot of horses.

Now, all of that said, I don't know the Edinboro landscape well enough to know if Cleary has done a good job generating boosters, donors, corporate sponsors and interest in the program.

The way the PSAC is set up for scholarship money, whomever you hire better be just a good of salesman as he is a basketball coach. If you can't sell the program, you can't buy the players.

Joe is an incredible fundraiser. As such, he can recruit nation (and world) wide.

Now, IUP was winning long before Joe got here. Truth be told, they'll win long after he leaves. But, the way he has elevated the program has been incredible. IUP Basketball was very good in the 90s (best team in school history, perhaps, was in 94-95) ... but, it took a big backseat to the football program. Joe changed all that. You can argue now which program is bigger. Joe's certainly been more successful the past 12 years. Joe's Saturday night games, atmosphere-wise, blow the football team out of the water.

You look at football-obsessed SRU ... even when KR had some really, really good teams ... not a soul in that town cared about his basketball teams.
    Being a HC is a difficult job. Its like being the CEO for a mid size company were you are still the lead salesman, head of the HR department, lead product developer and do the primary PR for the company. Hard being good at all those things and the ones that are dont typically hang around DII for long.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post

If you think Cleary does pretty well then you might not have a clue what success truly is. Rolling out the balls and playing AAU style isn't developing players!
    Find good guards. Get some defensive linemen to play the post.

That is the Cleary formula.

I don't know. I don't think he's a bad coach. He just has a set amount of coin and he puts it in the guards.

Finding a Staunch type helps when you have three stud guards. Other years it doesn't.

I think he does well with what he has.

That said, could he do better? How is he doing raising coin?

But, yes, Cleary defense is awful.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    Originally posted by Fightingscot82 View Post

Cleary does pretty well considering he has the lowest scholarship money in the West.
    If you think Cleary does pretty well then you might not have a clue what success truly is. Rolling out the balls and playing AAU style isn't developing players!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Cleary does pretty well considering he has the lowest scholarship money in the West.

It's an uneven playing field. No other way to say it.

We've often discussed my opinion on Clarion's football coach. Give him the IUP job (and resources) and his record would be incredible. Conversely, give Tort the Clarion job.

'Coaching' really helps -- but, also, it only goes so far. You need the horses. In football, you need a lot of horses.

Now, all of that said, I don't know the Edinboro landscape well enough to know if Cleary has done a good job generating boosters, donors, corporate sponsors and interest in the program.

The way the PSAC is set up for scholarship money, whomever you hire better be just a good of salesman as he is a basketball coach. If you can't sell the program, you can't buy the players.

Joe is an incredible fundraiser. As such, he can recruit nation (and world) wide.

Now, IUP was winning long before Joe got here. Truth be told, they'll win long after he leaves. But, the way he has elevated the program has been incredible. IUP Basketball was very good in the 90s (best team in school history, perhaps, was in 94-95) ... but, it took a big backseat to the football program. Joe changed all that. You can argue now which program is bigger. Joe's certainly been more successful the past 12 years. Joe's Saturday night games, atmosphere-wise, blow the football team out of the water.

You look at football-obsessed SRU ... even when KR had some really, really good teams ... not a soul in that town cared about his basketball teams.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
    It's Turner Kurt and he would never develop under Cleary because he is a horrible coach!!!

Leave a comment:

• Chuck Norris
    replied

Interesting. I always assumed it was some sort of eligibility thing although it could have been academic.

Oh I know why Keyes was suspended by Joe - and who wasn't.
    Sounds scandalous.

Leave a comment:

• IUPalum
    replied
    It's Turner Kurt and he would never develop under Cleary because he is a horrible coach!!!

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Interesting. I always assumed it was some sort of eligibility thing although it could have been academic.

Yeah.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

It wasn't because of his transfer. Recall he started (and played) at UPJ as a true freshman. He then went to a JUCO in MD (and was teammates with Micah Till). The next year they both came to the PSAC. Till played right way. Joe sat (redshirted) Keyes. It backfired tremendously that year because they had a slew of injuries under the basket. But, he never 'activated' him from the redshirt.

I know why he was suspended. Hit me up on the private messages.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

I believe he had to sit because of transfer eligibility. Do you know why he was suspended? You know who to ask.
    It wasn't because of his transfer. Recall he started (and played) at UPJ as a true freshman. He then went to a JUCO in MD (and was teammates with Micah Till). The next year they both came to the PSAC. Till played right way. Joe sat (redshirted) Keyes. It backfired tremendously that year because they had a slew of injuries under the basket. But, he never 'activated' him from the redshirt.

I know why he was suspended. Hit me up on the private messages.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Lot of upside for Wooster this year. Cleary hasn't been famous for post players.

We're all excited to see Keyes play (finally). I bet he hasn't played in an actual game in 5-6 years. He has to be 25 or 26 years old by now. I will still never understand why Joe sat him out his first year here. He then spent his second year here suspended and then was gone.
    I believe he had to sit because of transfer eligibility. Do you know why he was suspended? You know who to ask.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Ohio kid was big with a lot of potential. He ended up at D3 Wooster. Tanner Kurt from Cambridge Springs (similar description) also ended up there. I had heard Kurt was upset at his lack of development but if true I don't understand how going D3 solves that.

I'm excited to see Dom Keyes play again. There's word of a D1 transfer via JUCO that could be good.

Lot of upside for Wooster this year. Cleary hasn't been famous for post players.

We're all excited to see Keyes play (finally). I bet he hasn't played in an actual game in 5-6 years. He has to be 25 or 26 years old by now. I will still never understand why Joe sat him out his first year here. He then spent his second year here suspended and then was gone.

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied

Ever been to Odessa?

It may not have happened all in the same day. It could just be when work leaked out.

Some schools (we'll use Edinboro and Slippery Rock) almost never show up on VC despite obvious player movement (inbound and outbound).

I remember in the KR era they'd still be in full JUCO recruiting mode well in to mid-August.

Speaking of Edinboro ... last year Cleary signed that high school forward from Ohio that the Boro crowd was pretty excited about. I see he left already. What's the story there? Where did he go?
    Ohio kid was big with a lot of potential. He ended up at D3 Wooster. Tanner Kurt from Cambridge Springs (similar description) also ended up there. I had heard Kurt was upset at his lack of development but if true I don't understand how going D3 solves that.

I'm excited to see Dom Keyes play again. There's word of a D1 transfer via JUCO that could be good.

Leave a comment:

• IUPbigINDIANS
    replied

Make that 7. WTF is happening in Odessa?

Ever been to Odessa?

It may not have happened all in the same day. It could just be when work leaked out.

Some schools (we'll use Edinboro and Slippery Rock) almost never show up on VC despite obvious player movement (inbound and outbound).

I remember in the KR era they'd still be in full JUCO recruiting mode well in to mid-August.

Speaking of Edinboro ... last year Cleary signed that high school forward from Ohio that the Boro crowd was pretty excited about. I see he left already. What's the story there? Where did he go?

Leave a comment:

• Fightingscot82
    replied
    Texas-Permian Basin lost 6 players today. Y-I-K-E-S
    Make that 7. WTF is happening in Odessa?

Leave a comment:

Ad3

Collapse
Working...
X