Support The Site!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic Region Predictions

Well, let's hear it. Who wins. Time to go on the record.

My DAY 1 thoughts:

West Liberty vs. Malone

Odd match-up. Very different styles. Neither is real familiar with the other. Malone plays a slower game. WL will attempt to push the tempo as fast as possible. In my knowledge of the GMAC, WL will pose a match-up like they haven't seen all year. My guess is that becomes a bit overwhelming. That said, Malone is a hot team right now and playing with confidence. They've had a week to work up a game plan. If they get sped up, they'll get run out of the building. Their shot is to work the bigs, win the glass and slow the game. That will be easier said than done. Prediction: WL -19.5

Fairmont State vs. Mercyhurst

For starters, why in the world is this game tipping off at 8:45 p.m. ? This is an incredibly hard game to pick. When they met two years ago, Fairmont State had the game won in the final 45 seconds until a late Mercyhurst rally sent the game to OT. The Lakers then pulled away in the extra period. Fairmont State, my opinion, actually plays more like a PSAC team than any other MEC program. Mercyhurst poses many problems, however. For starters, the infamous matchup zone defense. It gives teams fits. Scoring 70 points on the Lakers is a big accomplishment. Not only do teams never see it and can't duplicate it in practice, but it slows offenses down dramatically slower than they are used to playing. Simply put, it frustrates the heck out of teams. Fairmont State will also have to deal with a lot of real big, muscular and aggressive bodies under the glass. The Lakers rebound exceptionally well. My last pro-Mercyhurst point is simply depth. This is the Lakers' deepest team in the past decade. While they very rarely press, they force you to run around and pass the ball around for 40 minutes. Shots are hard to come by and well-earned.

Why I like Fairmont State: The absolute key I've learned in watching years of Mercyhurst basketball is you cannot get behind. They aren't an MEC team. If you get behind 10 points on the Lakers, you have serious problems. They aren't subject to blackouts -- opponents aren't going to make up 10 points on them in 45 seconds. However, they aren't famous for making comebacks. They are the equivalent to a heavy rushing football team. You get Navy down 21 points on the gridiron ... they have a hard time running their way back in to the game. The first half is so vital when you play them. Fairmont has the ability to play a half-court game. With their lack of depth, it may actually help them. Fairmont is also more battle-tested this year. The Lakers played a handful of teams with a pulse, but not many. Mercyhurst also hasn't experienced much drama this year. The second Gannon game got close at the end but that's after Mercyhurst was up more than 20 points. Did they take the foot off the gas? Maybe. FSU has played in many close games -- none more nerve-wracking than last week's win over West Liberty. FSU has three really strong guards -- two perhaps in the elite category (Sanders and Bonner). They can't get frustrated. They aren't going to get many open looks. Mercyhurst also hasn't played in two weeks (officially, anyway).

I like the Lakers to win the game. I expect it to be tight -- 4 or 5 points. The slow pace and defensive pressure/confusion, my opinion, will be the difference. The Lakers don't adapt no matter who they play. It's the same style. FSU is going to have trouble on the glass. The Lakers post is big and deep. They aren't big oafs ... they are players. Mercyhurst 74 Fairmont State 68

Thanks for great analysis, iupbig.
    Re malone:
    Seems like offense revolves around pg butler, starting with high ball screen. Defense by Luke and Malik will be key. Must defend the three as they shoot 38%. Some of their players train with Dalton in summer so they know him. Think they only play mostly 6 guys so depth could be a factor. They are tall so loss of will yoakum could affect our inside defense.

Comment

As always, excellent analysis, IUPbig. These are both difficult games to pick. I'll do my best.

Malone has the recipe to beat WLU. They shoot the 3 well and they have bigs for days (he says as he shudders again at the thought of Justin MacArthur (was that his name?) draining 3 after 3 while WLU attempted to double down on Sleva). However, WLU does have the surprise factor when playing Malone. We've talked recently about how WLU doesn't sneak up on anybody in the Atlantic anymore . . . which is precisely why I smiled during the selection show when it was revealed that WLU would get a GMAC opponent. Yes, I'm sure Malone has film on WLU and knows what the Toppers do, but they haven't been in it before. I believe that it's difficult to deal with the first time anyone sees it and has to contend with it for 40 minutes. I think the unfamiliarity factor is the x-factor and that WLU will prevail in game 1.

You'd have to be crazy to put money down on that second game. Mercyhurst/FSU is going to be a war. Yes, FSU probably has the PSACiest roster in the MEC. Yes, Sanders-Bonner is a downright elite 1-2 combo. But that relentless defense can erase all of that in a heartbeat. Especially if Bonner and/or Sanders gets flustered (and I do believe Sanders--more so than Bonner--can be a little prone to that). For me, I think the x-factor is going to be how battle-tested each team is. I do believe Mercy's soft schedule (no fault of their own) may cost them here. If FSU can get out on an early run (like they did against WLU), Hurst may find themselves in the rearview mirror for a lot of the game. I'm leaning toward calling for an FSU upset here. They've seen Hurst before; they've been tested all year this year; and Hurst is coming in cold and largely untested. I wouldn't bet money on it, but I'll go on record calling for a narrow FSU upset in this one.

Comment

Fairmont held to 58 points.

Comment

I will be shocked if Hurst is not in regional finals. Very active hands in passing lanes and they do not take a bad shot. Hit boards hard. Don't really see any weaknesses. They had some trouble with press but fairmont did not have the depth to apply it the whole game. To have a chance one must get a good shot every possession and shoot 40+% from three. If they win region, they could go to the finals.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
            Fairmont held to 58 points.
            Hurst was absolutely as advertised. No rust on them! An incredibly complete team.

The whole time I'm watching, I'm thinking: "How in the world does Gary convince elite athletes (like the two Mac kids) to come and commit to a grind it out style?" I mean, how good would those Mac kids look playing a free-flowing MEC style? And yet, somehow Gary convinces them to come to Mercyhurst and fall in love with defending. It's a mystery. But it works!

Comment

I said it all along, the MEC teams want no part of Mercyhurst! They hate the way they slow them down and grind it out.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPalum View Post
                I said it all along, the MEC teams want no part of Mercyhurst! They hate the way they slow them down and grind it out.
                No argument here. I was happy to see them on the other side of the bracket, hoping that FSU & Hillsdale would take care of them before WLU has to. Fingers crossed for Hillsdale!

Comment

Comment

I thought Hazelbaker did an o.k. job on McManus when they met a few months back. And when Marlon Moore is having an active and engaged day--which he often dials up in playoff situations--he can match up with just about any big we see.

I think the real test will be WLU's discipline. As Columbuseer has outlined on the other thread, WLU is really hard to beat when they play team ball. The Charleston game a few months ago was an example of WLU players getting "out of system" and lapsing into hero ball. They don't have the personnel to play that way and beat good teams. Have to play "in system" tonight or it's lights out on WLU's season.

The late game ought to be a war. Hillsdale looks tough inside--not sure how Ogele and Moreaux will handle that. They didn't have much trouble with Seth Younkin last night, but I expect Hillsdale's bigs to be better. But I also don't expect Hillsdale to have an answer for the two Macs of Mercyhurst. It'll be an interesting back-and-forth, inside-outside kind of game. Should be fun to watch!

Comment

WOW! Mercyhurst is in the process of getting "Mercyhursted!!" Hillsdale is up 23 points with 4 minutes to play. Hillsdale has held Hurst to 10 points in the second half!!!!

Probobly the biggest demolition I've seen in a Regional Semifinal game since I've been watching DII basketball!!

Hillsdale is going to be a HUGE challenge for the Toppers in the Atlantic Regional finals.

Comment

Originally posted by boatcapt View Post
                        WOW! Mercyhurst is in the process of getting "Mercyhursted!!" Hillsdale is up 23 points with 4 minutes to play. Hillsdale has held Hurst to 10 points in the second half!!!!
                        Hillsdale is legit. If the Hilltoppers thought they had to game-plan McManus tonight, they've got another thing coming on Tuesday with Patrick Cartier!

Comment

Hillsdale looked like a well-oiled machine tonight. Nothing wrong with building up a lot of good wins during the season and losing in your conference tournament. It tends to re-focus the troops and it certainly looked like it tonight. That is a well-coached team. All this talk of Lord have Mercyhurst.....39 points in the first 36 minutes of the game...give me a break! Hillsdales bigs are skilled and they have a team of high basketball IQ guys.

It should be a good one Tuesday night.

Comment

in the end, the best two teams have advanced to the Atlantic Regional Finals. Both have shown what they are made of by taking on and beating the best of the PSAC, the GMAC Tourney winner and the #2 seed in the Region. Whoever claims the Regional Title Tuesday will be more than deserving of the title Atlantic Region Champion,

Now dim the lights, roll out the balls and lets play us some Championship basketball!!!

Comment

Hurst only shot 30% from field and only 21% from three. Committed more turnovers and got out rebounded.

Hurst style was in comfort zone for hillsdale and hurst emphasis on muscle inside was fruitless against taller team.

Did not see that coming

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X