Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

Collapse

Support The Site!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

    The women's schedule is posted.

    Non-conference:

    Nov. 9 - Davis & Elkins
    Nov. 10 - West Virginia Wesleyan

    Nov. 12 - Virginia State

    Nov. 20 - Pitt-Bradford

    Nov. 27 - at Salem

    Dec. 3 - at University of D.C.

  • #2
    Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

    This is a pretty light non-conference schedule for Tom. Of course, his past couple have been light, too. Granted, he may not have an easy time finding teams willing to play them.

    Very different philosophies between Joe and Tom in regard to these games.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

      Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
      This is a pretty light non-conference schedule for Tom. Of course, his past couple have been light, too. Granted, he may not have an easy time finding teams willing to play them.

      Very different philosophies between Joe and Tom in regard to these games.
      It's also interesting to note that given the context of how good the women have been, especially the last two years, they still haven't hosted the Regional. I thought we would have seen a very interesting situation had IUP men's and women's teams both hosted last year, but Tom sputtered just a tad down the stretch to end that though.

      The Atlantic Region is really tough on both sides.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

        Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
        It's also interesting to note that given the context of how good the women have been, especially the last two years, they still haven't hosted the Regional. I thought we would have seen a very interesting situation had IUP men's and women's teams both hosted last year, but Tom sputtered just a tad down the stretch to end that though.

        The Atlantic Region is really tough on both sides.

        Valid point. To win back-to-back Regional's on the road is pretty impressive.

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

          Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
          Valid point. To win back-to-back Regional's on the road is pretty impressive.
          Here's a question... In terms of quality of basketball, and depth/number of quality teams, on both sides, where do you rank the Atlantic Region in terms of level of difficulty against the others? I know the region that Bellarmine is in is really tough. I don't know the name of it. I think the Atlantic has to be in the top 2 or 3.

          It's a lot different than football. This region has sent teams to the Elite Eight and have performed very well in both the men's and women's division. There's been national champions and nation championship appearances. Runs to the final four. Even Mercyhurst, in a losing effort, played NWMST tougher than anybody else did all season.

          Edit... These discussions in the offseason are great and also why the basketball side of this board will forever be better.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

            Originally posted by IUP24 View Post
            Here's a question... In terms of quality of basketball, and depth/number of quality teams, on both sides, where do you rank the Atlantic Region in terms of level of difficulty against the others? I know the region that Bellarmine is in is really tough. I don't know the name of it. I think the Atlantic has to be in the top 2 or 3.

            It's a lot different than football. This region has sent teams to the Elite Eight and have performed very well in both the men's and women's division. There's been national champions and nation championship appearances. Runs to the final four. Even Mercyhurst, in a losing effort, played NWMST tougher than anybody else did all season.

            Edit... These discussions in the offseason are great and also why the basketball side of this board will forever be better.


            Hard to say.

            I will say this ... that fourth quarter of Tom's Final Four loss will forever haunt that program. They had the lead after 3 frames and all the momentum in the world. Still painful, ...

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

              The women's side has had more national success with Cal's titles, Virginia Union, ... and IUP reaching the past two Final Fours.

              That said, the women's Atlantic is much thinner. There aren't many good teams. The men's Atlantic is very deep.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

                Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                Hard to say.

                I will say this ... that fourth quarter of Tom's Final Four loss will forever haunt that program. They had the lead after 3 frames and all the momentum in the world. Still painful, ...
                Funny you should say that...

                I fell down the YouTube rabbit hole the other day. I somehow came across the entire 15 minute presser from Tom and Co. after the game on the internet the other day. I never watched the whole thing. It was tough to watch. You could tell there was a lot of pain there from all parties.

                It's tough. I said it when it happened, you simply don't have any idea when those moments ever come again. And it might not ever come again. IUP might never get that close again.

                For what it's worth, that SW Oklahoma State team lost the next night, but it took two overtimes and two tying shots, one of them a desperation heave at the buzzer, from that team who won it to even get it to that 2nd OT. Point is.. That was Tom's net to cut down. But that's not the way it ended.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

                  Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                  The women's side has had more national success with Cal's titles, Virginia Union, ... and IUP reaching the past two Final Fours.

                  That said, the women's Atlantic is much thinner. There aren't many good teams. The men's Atlantic is very deep.
                  Not to mention Shaw winning it all in 2012. And Gannon made the final four in 2010 as an undefeated team and blew an 18-point second half lead to Emporia State (another loss that haunts a program).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

                    Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                    Not to mention Shaw winning it all in 2012. And Gannon made the final four in 2010 as an undefeated team and blew an 18-point second half lead to Emporia State (another loss that haunts a program).
                    The GU loss is more painful because they don't appear to be headed back to that spot again any time soon.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

                      Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                      The GU loss is more painful because they don't appear to be headed back to that spot again any time soon.
                      I suspect this will be another IUP/Cal battle for women's supremacy this year.

                      I wasn't impressed with Edinboro's new coach last year. They had far better talent than they showed. They were largely non-competitive against IUP. But, that was her first year. We'll see what happens. They lost some studs, though.

                      IUP and Cal are both pretty loaded.

                      Tom's built to the point now where one class of stars leave and the next is ready to go. His freshmen class last year was superb. He is set up for years to come.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

                        Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                        The women's schedule is posted.

                        Non-conference:

                        Nov. 9 - Davis & Elkins
                        Nov. 10 - West Virginia Wesleyan

                        Nov. 12 - Virginia State

                        Nov. 20 - Pitt-Bradford

                        Nov. 27 - at Salem

                        Dec. 3 - at University of D.C.
                        D3 Pitt-Bradford is likely the Education Day game, so that's always a tough sell for a team to come get its butt kicked at 11 a.m. right next to Thanksgiving break.

                        An interesting note SID Ryan Rebholz alluded to on the Twitter a while back about the Nov. 9-10 weekend. If you love IUP sports, that's the weekend to visit! In hoops, the IUP men host the IRMC/Hilton Garden Inn Classic and the IUP women host the PSAC-MEC Classic. There's a home volleyball game, a home women's soccer game up on the hill and a noon Senior Day kickoff against Edinboro.

                        If you're trying to workout logistics, good luck. The volleyball team plays Friday night at 7 p.m. too. Since this is a basketball board, the IUP men and their under-lock-and-key schedule probably means their tournament is Saturday night and Sunday afternoon like the women's team. How cool/strange/fiscally irresponsible/hectic would it be for an IUP basketball doubleheader Saturday night at the Field House while the other men's and women's tournament games are played in front of an empty KCAC?
                        Pete Sirianni. Digital Editor, New Castle News.

                        2016 IUP graduate. twitter.com/petersirianni.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

                          Originally posted by hawks16 View Post
                          D3 Pitt-Bradford is likely the Education Day game, so that's always a tough sell for a team to come get its butt kicked at 11 a.m. right next to Thanksgiving break.

                          An interesting note SID Ryan Rebholz alluded to on the Twitter a while back about the Nov. 9-10 weekend. If you love IUP sports, that's the weekend to visit! In hoops, the IUP men host the IRMC/Hilton Garden Inn Classic and the IUP women host the PSAC-MEC Classic. There's a home volleyball game, a home women's soccer game up on the hill and a noon Senior Day kickoff against Edinboro.

                          If you're trying to workout logistics, good luck. The volleyball team plays Friday night at 7 p.m. too. Since this is a basketball board, the IUP men and their under-lock-and-key schedule probably means their tournament is Saturday night and Sunday afternoon like the women's team. How cool/strange/fiscally irresponsible/hectic would it be for an IUP basketball doubleheader Saturday night at the Field House while the other men's and women's tournament games are played in front of an empty KCAC?
                          Nothing would surprise me.

                          I go where Joe's team goes. I like football ... but Joe beats Tort everytime (to me).

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

                            Originally posted by CALUPA69 View Post
                            The GU loss is more painful because they don't appear to be headed back to that spot again any time soon.
                            Not at the time as Gannon made the E8 in 2013. Program took a step backward with Brunelli (to say the least) but it will be interesting to see where Cleve takes things.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: IUP Women's Basketball | 2019-20

                              The roster is published.

                              One new addition is Kiara Wade (formerly of Wheeling Jesuit and from Farrell High School). She's listed as a 6'3" Forward and a sophomore. She did not play last season ... not sure if that was due to an injury, etc.


                              Guards

                              Mikayla Lovelace (SO)
                              Maria Cerro (FR)
                              Courtney Alexander (JR)
                              Madison Kerr (JR)
                              Justina Mascaro (SO)
                              Natalie Myers (SR)


                              Guard/Forward

                              Alana Cardona (SO)
                              Rajah Fink (SO)
                              Lexi Griggs (SR)


                              Forward

                              Maura D'Anna (JR)
                              Josie Smith (FR)
                              Teirra Preston (SO)
                              Kiara Wade (SO)


                              A lot of new faces will be in larger roles ... but a wealth of depth and talent. D'Anna's return along with Griggs gives Tom a dominant inside game.

                              Tom's heralded freshmen class of a year ago will get a chance to shine this season. Lots of size on the roster ... guards and post players.

                              The starting five is complicated. Madison Kerr is back and finally healthy. She'll be in the mix.

                              I'd say Griggs, D'Anna and Alexander are locks to start. We'll see who wins the PG job. They have a deep, deep bench.
                              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 07-29-2019, 10:59 AM.

                              Comment

                              Ad3

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X