Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Slippery Rock

Originally posted by thefauves1 View Post
    Agree, but somehow you think it is the responsibility of the GU Men's B-Basketball blog to report on this. I don't care about women's basketball. If you are so concerned, start a women's basketball blog. Sad.
    He had no problem whining about trump on his blog. Stick to basketball. Even the low IQ hammermill fan can see the hypocrisy. Saddest

Comment

I love the Internet! We're arguing over the moral obligation of an individual who decided o his own to write a blog about Gannon men's basketball. This individual is not getting paid, nor is affiliated with the university or a media outlet. Who has the final say on the subject matter?

If you feel that a moral obligation exists to write about the Gannon women's basketball coaching staff or any other topic, then start your own blog. I've included a link www.theblogstarter.com/

Comment

[QUOTE=Golden89;2018575]I love the Internet! We're arguing over the moral obligation of an individual who decided o his own to write a blog about Gannon men's basketball. This individual is not getting paid, nor is affiliated with the university or a media outlet. Who has the final say on the subject matter?

If you feel that a moral obligation exists to write about the Gannon women's basketball coaching staff or any other topic, then start your own blog. I've included a link www.theblogstarter.com/[/QUOTE

im pointing out a hypocrite. I know Gannon fans can dish it out but they just can't take it. He should've stayed with the keys to the game but that would've lost most of his readers.

Comment

The sites are very different. This site tends to get animated and rough at times. Fan bases argue, debate, etc. This site will get more in to team analysis - positive and negative.

The Gannon site is more a 'team' site. It has more of a cheerleader vibe to it. Which is fine. It's their site. It's run by kind of a homer but again it's his site. It isn't meant to be a news site but a GU spin site. Now had IUP lost up there something tells me Reynolds wouldn't have been the lead story. Personally, I'd have like to read Gannon's view of the game rather than about Reynolds. The Erie Times hardly covers the team anymore so it's hard to get opposing views. I thought Reilly was dramatically outcoached in that game. Badly. For a big game, GU wasn't ready to play and really looked lost. IUP could have -- should have -- hung a big number on them. Evan Phoenix has been a non-factor in both games with 13 combined points.

You could certainly call some of the GU fans hypocrites over the treatment Reilly got on that board last year compared to the praise this year. They were ready to take him for a one-way boat ride in Lake Erie last year at this time. I mean the fans vanished from the Hammermill in droves and abandoned the team. In a cold-weather town they have a lot of fair-weather fans.

I see the argument of calling out Reynolds while at the same time the GU women's program is far worse off than SRU's mens team. I don't buy the argument that the GU site is solely for mens basketball. If it is ... that didn't start until the women up there began to stink.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought the article up. I found it interesting. You can't tell me that wasn't meant to be a shot at Reynolds. I like the guy. He's a good coach. But he's a major jazzhole on the court.

Beleive me, every fan base thinks the same way about the guy. I find his antics entertaining. Obviously not everybody does. That said, Reilly is probably seen as the more annoying of the two by the IUP fan base. You GU fans will find that hard to fathom but it's true. I know Joe is viewed as arrogant and whiney by other schools. I actually find the West coaches to bring entertainment value. Joe, Reilly, Manchal, Reynolds .... all a bit theatrical.

I think Golden89 is a good poster to this board. We used to have more GU posters but they seemed to vanish last season and haven't come back.

Gannon at SRU should be interesting if nothing else. I think Gannon vs. IUP is done for this year. I don't think GU could get past Ship, ESU or Kutztown in the Final Four of the PSAC. But, let's not forget about Reynolds. He has a way of making noise in March -- in more ways than one.
          Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-03-2017, 07:05 PM.

Comment

IUP -- Thank you. I enjoy this board and won't stop posting. Everyone is entitled to his or her opinion here, including that of Reilly, Reynolds, and Brunelli.

I only got ticked when the Gannon site person was called a hypocrite. The blog started on January 1, 2009. http://gannonhoops.blogspot.com/2009...non-hoops.html. Since then there have been 424 posts. By my count, only 11 posts had anything to do with the women's team. There were six during the 2010 NCAA tournament (he was basically asked to provide an area to comment and added that he doesn't go to the women's games (http://gannonhoops.blogspot.com/2010...ont-st-at.html). The other five were in 2013 -- four were again comment areas for the NCAA tournament, where he again readily admitted he doesn't follow the Lady Knights (http://gannonhoops.blogspot.com/2013...-fairmont.html) The final post was when the news broke that Cleve Wright left.

I've known him for a while and I don't think that I've seen him at a women's game (and I go to most of them) -- he has a job and a family and prefers to focus on one team and know them well. I'm not exaggerating. He would provide no extra insight on Brunelli, Cleve, or anyone else, so why write about a topic you don't know? It's his choice whether or not to attend the women's games, and it's his choice about topics the blog he started. BTW ... He was out of the country for work for the IUP game for which I agree with you, Gannon was outcoached and not ready to play. The final score was not indicative of the lack of closeness of the game; it was essentially over after 15 minutes. And I hope that I'm wrong, but I don't realistically see GU getting to the PSAC Final.

All 424 posts are available to view. Feel free to look at all of them them if you don't believe me about the lack of Lady Knight topics. If you do, make sure that you look at the comments section, particularly the insightful and witty comments of Golden89.

I'm done with this topic. No worries about posting the Reynolds comments. It's certainly interesting and fun to hear others' opinions about coach's sideline demeanors. We all certainly look at the games through different lenses. That's why I like coming to this board.

Comment

What the heck happened in Greensburg today? GU up 36-19 at half and lost?
              Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-04-2017, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                What the heck happened in Greensburg today? GU up 36-19 at half and lost?
                They usually start fast and blow a lead. they've been able to come away with the victory in all those games. I didn't watch the game but did notice two starters did foul out. Not a way I would want to finish a game if I were Gannon. I also noticed in the two recent losses evan Phoenix did not have a great game. Iup and upj doubled him in the post but I'm not sure what the strategy of seton hill was. Live stats can only tell you so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjtheman View Post
                  They usually start fast and blow a lead. they've been able to come away with the victory in all those games. I didn't watch the game but did notice two starters did foul out. Not a way I would want to finish a game if I were Gannon. I also noticed in the two recent losses evan Phoenix did not have a great game. Iup and upj doubled him in the post but I'm not sure what the strategy of seton hill was. Live stats can only tell you so much.
                  Not surprised at all. This is the seventh or eighth time this season that GU's let a double-digit second half lead slip away. They've been able to pull the game out the last 4-5 times, but not today. Keep playing with fire, it'll come back to haunt you.

Comment

Originally posted by Golden89 View Post
                    Not surprised at all. This is the seventh or eighth time this season that GU's let a double-digit second half lead slip away. They've been able to pull the game out the last 4-5 times, but not today. Keep playing with fire, it'll come back to haunt you.
                    I would consider changing the starting lineup. Start Williams and bring zay of the bench. you have really nothing to lose. First place is out of reach. Second is almost locked up and losing another game will not effect Gannon's chances of making the NCAA tournament. They need to win the psac. Great opportunity to try something different. Maybe they can get a different result.

Comment

The short rotation Reilly is playing has to be catching up to Gannon late in games. If your guys are in great condition or not ... you don't see many teams play iron-man basketball.

The West race is getting interesting for the PSAC Tournament. Obviously the top two seeds are pretty much locked up but the other four are intriguing. A potential tournament match-up of UPJ and Gannon would be interesting as both have been thrillers. Of course, Kevin Reynolds always makes for a good visit up there. UPJ is the team that could give IUP trouble. Mercyhurst is another team who is capable of having a big night although it's odd it hasn't happened yet. The Lakers played Indiana tough both games minus a second half stretch in each game. Seton Hill is a capable team on the right night.

The East side will be wild. I wouldn't know who to pick. East Stroudsburg isn't getting the love like Ship and Kutztown is but is a really dangerous team. West Chester is the one completely baffling to me. That's a talented roster. I'd love to hear what happened there this season after who they had coming back and also the class they signed. The big factor will be who gets the No. 1 seed in the East. It will be a much easier path.
                      Last edited by IUPbigINDIANS; 02-07-2017, 09:43 AM.

Comment

good info in this post, but it may need to be re-titled to something other than "slippery rock"

Comment

Originally posted by IUPbigINDIANS View Post
                          The sites are very different. This site tends to get animated and rough at times. Fan bases argue, debate, etc. This site will get more in to team analysis - positive and negative.

The Gannon site is more a 'team' site. It has more of a cheerleader vibe to it. Which is fine. It's their site. It's run by kind of a homer but again it's his site. It isn't meant to be a news site but a GU spin site. Now had IUP lost up there something tells me Reynolds wouldn't have been the lead story. Personally, I'd have like to read Gannon's view of the game rather than about Reynolds. The Erie Times hardly covers the team anymore so it's hard to get opposing views. I thought Reilly was dramatically outcoached in that game. Badly. For a big game, GU wasn't ready to play and really looked lost. IUP could have -- should have -- hung a big number on them. Evan Phoenix has been a non-factor in both games with 13 combined points.

You could certainly call some of the GU fans hypocrites over the treatment Reilly got on that board last year compared to the praise this year. They were ready to take him for a one-way boat ride in Lake Erie last year at this time. I mean the fans vanished from the Hammermill in droves and abandoned the team. In a cold-weather town they have a lot of fair-weather fans.

I see the argument of calling out Reynolds while at the same time the GU women's program is far worse off than SRU's mens team. I don't buy the argument that the GU site is solely for mens basketball. If it is ... that didn't start until the women up there began to stink.

Maybe I shouldn't have brought the article up. I found it interesting. You can't tell me that wasn't meant to be a shot at Reynolds. I like the guy. He's a good coach. But he's a major jazzhole on the court.

Beleive me, every fan base thinks the same way about the guy. I find his antics entertaining. Obviously not everybody does. That said, Reilly is probably seen as the more annoying of the two by the IUP fan base. You GU fans will find that hard to fathom but it's true. I know Joe is viewed as arrogant and whiney by other schools. I actually find the West coaches to bring entertainment value. Joe, Reilly, Manchal, Reynolds .... all a bit theatrical.

I think Golden89 is a good poster to this board. We used to have more GU posters but they seemed to vanish last season and haven't come back.

Gannon at SRU should be interesting if nothing else. I think Gannon vs. IUP is done for this year. I don't think GU could get past Ship, ESU or Kutztown in the Final Four of the PSAC. But, let's not forget about Reynolds. He has a way of making noise in March -- in more ways than one.
                          even as a gannon fan - I can understand the mindset of Coach Reilly being "annoying". Compared to other coaches he can be more whiny than angry at times. However, I do agree with Gannon fans that I would rather have Coach Reilly than Reynolds actions on the sideline. While I'm sure he is a completely different person off the court - we don't see that. We just see his tantrums on the sideline. Coach Reilly doesn't throw many tantrums and when he does they are usually more angry than a tantrum. In the games I've seen Reynolds, however, he throws many tantrums and it becomes tiresome.

Having two really good seasons in a span of every 4-5 years, however, becomes tiresome as well!

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan03 View Post
                            even as a gannon fan - I can understand the mindset of Coach Reilly being "annoying". Compared to other coaches he can be more whiny than angry at times. However, I do agree with Gannon fans that I would rather have Coach Reilly than Reynolds actions on the sideline. While I'm sure he is a completely different person off the court - we don't see that. We just see his tantrums on the sideline. Coach Reilly doesn't throw many tantrums and when he does they are usually more angry than a tantrum. In the games I've seen Reynolds, however, he throws many tantrums and it becomes tiresome.

Having two really good seasons in a span of every 4-5 years, however, becomes tiresome as well!
                            I agree 100 percent with the last statement. There's no reason why Gannon can't be a top tier team every year. Great tradition and loyal fan base who deserve a championship. I question sometimes if winning a national championship is really a goal. That's why I just go to the best available game of the week.

Comment

Gannon also has a lot of one other real important item: money.

Comment

Ad3

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X